Being diagnosed with macular degeneration is not fun

Of course everyone of us has to assess our own individual situations, and the risks versus rewards of any and all medications we take.   I am checked regularly for Glaucoma and status of my cataracts.   Being diabetic many years ago (circa 10/15), my GP had me start taking one low dose aspirin daily.  

After a recent bladder tumour removal and having to stop taking prior to the op for bleeding concerns, I read up on the risks/side affects of resuming aspirin.  Spoke to my GP, who said "if you haven't had a heart attack absolutely stop taking it the risk of bleeding/ulcers etc is higher than not taking it".  I stopped the end of January this year, and was annoyed that he hadn't been astute enough to tell me a lot of years prior on this new information.    

I started instead for the heart related issues taking 100% pure Pomegranate 5ozs daily over a year ago, and continue to do so. (Read up the benefits on Pom Juice!).

FYI:  Research indicates Low dose aspirin is only effective for those who have had a previous heart attack or stroke. Older adults who take aspirin daily have a higher risk of bruising and a small risk of bleeding into the stomach or the brain. Plus, aspirin can interact negatively with other medications, including over-the-counter options.

As we always say, to each our own in making decisions on our bodies but one thing I've learnt over this past handful of years:   whatever I am told by my GP or otherwise, I owe it to myself to cross reference and research on benefits versus risks at every juncture and not take at face value or their word alone.

Safe travels.   

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I would bleed from the lithest scrap. I quit taking it. I get scarps often. 

I started to take the 81mg aspirin at a doctor's recommendation somewhere around 50 years of age. I always reported it when changing doctors and they all seemed to approve so I continued. In February I had much needed prostate surgery and even though I had stopped the aspirin a week before the urologist said that I bleed more than normal and suggested that I stop taking the aspirin so I have not done so since then. I had a follow-up for a  stone in the bladder 2 weeks ago with no bleeding problems. Like you, I had noticed what seemed to be excessive bleeding from minor scrapes so I guess that it should not have surprised me. In May I have my annual Medicare appointment with our primary care physician so I'll discuss it with her then. At this point I have no intention of going back to the aspirin. There is no family history of heart problems in my family tree. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update my situation on my eyes.    My ophthalmologist told me if I have any noticeable changes in my eyes to see him immediately. I am still taking a 81 mg aspirin a day.

Several things I noticed when having issues with seeing has not returned. Utility poles along rods when I was driving looked curved. Some times more than others. Then I was about to be due for shots in my eyes. Also reading lines on a tv was interesting.

Where we are at our summer site I can see a concrete barrier along a highway that is about 1000 yards away. That barrier is one of those concrete barriers you see along highways. It is 32” high. Before I started the aspirin once a day, it would have a dip in the line of the concrete barrier in the middle of my line of sight. Now if the road dipped that much in reality, kids would love riding in a car going over that dip. That person driving would really think that the road need to be fixed.

The other thing I have noticed is that my peripheral visions has become clearer. 

In a few weeks I will in to see my regular doctor for my yearly checkup. I will discuss things with him. I know he has had covid twice in the first year of covid. Hopefully he will have some thoughts.

Then on June 10 I see my ophthalmologist agin. Unless needed before.

• 5 weeks later...

This for a update as to my eye situation.

To begin with my family doctor decided to get covid, for his third time. So no yearly checkup. It was changed till late June.

My eye doctor had a unexpected vacation also. Will see him three days after my yearly checkup.

So my eyesight is still doing really good. I have several questions for the regular doctor. He has personal experience with covid.

So I have changed medication to a natural replacement for aspirin. This change to natural medication has helped with my stomach irritation. It has been really mild. But I have noticed a change for the better.

Since I have been diagnosed with macular degeneration. I really pay attention to my eyesight. I am keeping a good log of my experience with my sight situation.

So I would say I do have macular degeneration. But at the very beginning stage.

I have a good understanding of what the underlying eye condition is. Or at least what I think it is. I have researched the net quite a bit and I think I figured it out. And it explains why aspirin helped me.

So I will report back after both of my doctors appointments in late June.

Vern

• 3 weeks later...

During this week I have seen my family doctor for my yearly checkup. And my ophthalmologist. They were both delayed for a month because of covid infections they acquired. Or were exposed to covid.

It went well, sorta.     I take no real medication that is prescribed. Only daily supplement I use is blackstrap molasses for arthritis. Stumbled into it use by chance say 15 years ago.

I told my general practitioner about the aspirin thing for my macular degeneration.

His eyes went into that deer in the headlights thought. (Yea, am I supposed to believe that crap.).     I sure got that impression from the look on his eyes.

He said to talk to my ophthalmologist about said subject. He had no negative argument about my aspirin supplement I am taking. He said he technically knows nothing about the supplement. At least during a professional visit.

So yesterday I had a visit with my ophthalmologist.   

At my last appointment on April 6th I told my ophthalmologist about the aspirin thing and not needing eye shots since December. He was in (that deer in the headlights mode) at that time as I was telling him about my eyes being much better.    He then looked into my eyes for his exam and then his eyes were really in that (deer in the headlights mode).

I can imagine his thoughts.

(This guy does not need shots at this time.).   What the blank is happening to his eyes. They look good. Not perfect, but good.

This happened yesterday at my visit.

So I told him about my natural aspirin replacement medication I am taking.    I only switched to a natural aspirin treatment about two weeks before this appointment. I showed him the bottle of supplement. It had the technical info on it. I also said I went to the local compounding pharmacy for this supplement, but they would have to order it. And the pharmacist could not say what dosage I should take.

So I said I bought the bottle at a health food store on the Flathead Indian reservation. My ophthalmologist does make a monthly visit to that reservation for his patients there at his one office there. 

So at this time we agreed that I do have macular degeneration.     But let’s say it was only 10 percent of my problems with my eyes.

The right eye has a small spot to the right of center of vision. At arms length on a amsler grid it does not show up. Only if I bring the grid about 6”” closer to my eye.

My left eye had wet macular degeneration. It has quit leaking. There is a small problem with macular degeneration in the left eye. It affects small lettering on the tv screen, and only to left of dead center of my vision. I notice this during news programs when they have writing on the bottom of the screen. Although I can see the rest of the picture without problems.

No shots yesterday in either eye.

So now what is going on.  The doctor is in deep thoughts about said subject.

I have actually been posting in another subject heading on this forum for two years about this problem.    But did not understand that it was connected to eye problems in the beginning.    Only since starting to aspirin treatment that I realized they were connected.

So let’s get back to my eye sight situation. I would put a estimate of 10 percent macular degeneration as my problem.

The rest of my problem is a inflammatory concern. Aspirin is a anti inflammatory medication..   so apparently that is why my eyesight was improving.

I am taking a natural replacement for aspirin.

During the visit with my ophthalmologist we discussed my supplement, dosage and that I will keep a detailed chart of my daily dosage, specific details about my eyesight and any changes. If there is any changes for the worse I am suppose to call him immediately.

I do have knowledge how to check of medical trials going on at the National Institute of Health. There is several subjects about inflammatory problems in the eyes and the body, posted by the NIH on the net. I Will be watching the net for other concerns about said subject.

Will keep informed,    Vern

• 1 month later...

I want to give a update on my eyesight situation.

I went to see my ophthalmologist on Friday afternoon. The first thing they do is to take a picture of your eyes.

Next I had a eye test. While in there I noticed that the person giving me the test was doing more particular or specific test. And having me get really specific on what I could see. So the test ended.

Then I got my eyes dilated.

So the ophthalmologist finally came in to see me. Ask me how I was doing. I said great, as my personal eye test that I do about twice a week has shown  improvement to a point of being stabilized.   

So he ask how I am doing. I said really good. I am still taking 1 - 400 milligrams dose of willow bark a day.

He looked at my eye pictures before he came in. Then he looked into my eyes. Then he said there is nothing wrong with the front of my eyes. He has said that all along.

So he said he did read several of the articles from the National Institute of Health that I gave him on my situation.   Then he did say again that aspirin has been studied for treatment for macular degeneration. That it does not work. But he was not really forceful about that statement.

So I gave home a bottle of the willow bark treatment that I am taking.

I also said that I will get him a list of other articles on eye problems that discuss similar symptoms as macular degeneration. I am only reading articles from reputable sources such as Mayo Clinic, British Medical Journal and several other respected research institutions.

So will say he is rather confused and curious at the same time.

So when this first happened, in the early May-June 2020 time frame I had no idea what was happening. There was a few times that I questioned my eyesight. 

At that time I was posting on another part of the forum and unknowingly mentioned some of my problems. The other forum posting had nothing to do with having eye problems. Although it did affect what I was doing.

Also some times at work I noticed odd sight problems. But I thought it was just being in a dark place where I was working.

Is it not macular degeneration?

Vern

Like many other diseases the amount of effort in finding a cure or the amount of money spent researching a cure generally depends on the number of people affected or the socio-economic sector impacted. Macular Degeneration is found in about 3% of the population which is actually a good thing (in a bad sort of way) as it is a number that will garner research dollars. 

What a lot of folks may not realize is that there are some underlying contributing factors that have been identified: Over 50 (can't do much about that), Smoking (if ya'll do quit now), High blood pressure (get it checked and under control) and a diet high in saturated fat (lay off the fried foods) and finally HEREDITY. Again that is something you can't control but you sure can start checking early for symptoms. My mother had macular degeneration and it was sad watching her go from being very independent to very dependent on others as her vision deteriorated. So I get regular eye exams. 

Vern, I for one am interested in your journey with this disease and hope your treatments continue to help.  

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I did forget that he said that the next appointment would be in 4 months. But if there is any change in my vision to come in immediately.

I do not smoke. Drink very little. I just was at my family doctor for a checkup a few days before seeing the ophthalmologist. The only thing the doctor suggested was to take vitamin D3.

Since my first visit to the ophthalmologist, he recommended to take preserviision . So I am taking them. I also vitamin D3 and now willow bark extract.

Vern

I had some kind of temporary visual disturbance, more than once.
So I mentioned to my primary care doc.
The center of my vision would be distorted by what looked like a twisted drop of water.
Like a Ying Yang symbol.  Vision at the outer edges was still good.

Primary Doc ordered an ultrasound of my carotid arteries.  They came out good - no problems.
Next he sent me to an ophthalmologist who did the retina pictures, etc.
Diagnosis was "ocular migraine".
I don't get headaches ever, just the visual disturbance.

Last year during a routine eye exam, including retina photos, I mentioned the "ocular migraine" thing to the optometrist.
His response was basically "its medical billing code" meaning "I don't know".

An interesting perspective. . .

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I did a little bit of searching about willow bark extract and found this interesting article from Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC. This quote was taken from it.

Medicinal Uses and Indications

Willow bark is used to ease pain and reduce inflammation. Researchers believe that the chemical salicin, found in willow bark, is responsible for these effects. However, studies show several other components of willow bark, including plant chemicals called polyphenols and flavonoids, have antioxidant, fever-reducing, antiseptic, and immune-boosting properties. Some studies show willow is as effective as aspirin for reducing pain and inflammation (but not fever), and at a much lower dose. Scientists think that may be due to other compounds in the herb. More research is needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have had a situation that finally came up that needed solved yesterday. And it involved my eyesight.

In 2020 my drivers license expired at the end of June.  And I had a cdl. In the summer of 2020, with the covid situation I was not going into a drivers license center and sit and wait in line.

So I called the cdl licensing division in Helena Mt. Explained my situation. They extended my license for 3 months.

Three months later I could not see a stop light or tail light with the brakes on with my left eye at that time.

If I went in I would probably of failed the eye test. 

Wife said rving is over.

At my second appointment at the ophthalmologist in a week. Yep first one he said I am going to stick a needle in your eye.   Now I am going to stick a needle in your other eye. That was in mid September 2020.

So I asked him about my drivers license and seeing. He said in Montana you can drive with one eye.

So I gave up my cdl at the end of September. I did not need to go in to the drivers license center. So then in 2021 then let me extend my regular license another year, without going in.

So I checked about going into the drivers license center back in mid June 2022. They are only doing appointments only. Make appointment online.

August 24 is the earliest I can get in.

Blank that word out.   Yep I was pulled over because of my medical card was expired back in early July of this year.. 

So I go in yesterday, fill out paperwork. Go to seat c, while waiting I told the check in person about giving up my cdl. Then stuff went where I was afraid of. Filled out paperwork for giving up my cdl.

Then I was notified to go to down the hallway to the left. Not where everyone else we’re going. Is there a jail cell down there.

So I told the person in the room what has happened since 2020. I did notice he did not have a law enforcement badge on.

Sorta feel relaxed.      But he says you have a cdl. Lots of back and forth. Go get a higher up in authority person to help. That person had no badge of law enforcement on either.

She explained that from 2020 till now there was a computer program update and it did not take my situation kindly.

But they figured it out. So i got my picture taken. Wrote them a check. Walked out to the van, wife asked how it went. I said good. Then I showed her my license.   Blank blank blank.

Wrong address.

Go back down that hallway and asked for my check back. What is wrong the person said.  I was nice. You did not update my address on my new license. 

5 minutes later I was completely legal. Did not go to jail. Did not pay a fine. Wife is happy.

Yesterday I past the eye test with no questions asked. And now legal for 7 more years. Still have the rv also. 

So my eyesight is very good now. Even legal. I have been sweating that day since June  2020.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to keep everyone updated on my eye situation. I have not had any concerns about my eyes to see the ophthalmologist about. Still taking willow bark daily.

Although I did skip 7 days as I was doing a topical shin cancer treatment and did not one it to cause a problem. Still no problems.

I changed my next ophthalmologist appointment to a mid October date. We are trying to leave Montana before the end of  October.

I have hobby that really involves seeing good. So I have been using that for comparing my vision concerns.

Safe Travels,   Vern

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you have a handle on it.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 3 weeks later...

This is another update on my eyesight and my time at the ophthalmologist.

After almost 4 months I finally went for a checkup at my ophthalmologist.    Past my eye exam. Had my eyes dilated.

Then,  after awhile I got to see my ophthalmologist. He asked how I was doing. I said good. Then he looked into my eyes with his equipment.

So today he said you do not need any shots in the eyes. The last time I have had a shot in the eye was December 18th last year.

He is quit confused.    But he has started to be interested in situation. I have more web sites to give him for what could be happening.

So for now I am thinking I had more than one thing wrong in my eyes. I will say that the injections may have improved two problems that the were distorting a small area of sight . One in each eye. But they are different subjects. One was  a extremely small fussy line to the upper edge of my left eye. No where that it affected my actual vision. Just since the beginning of this issue have I really paid attention to my vision and anything that I noticed to be different. That fuzzy  line has probably  shrank by 50 percent.

On my right eye while looking at a amsler grid. There is a distortion to the right of my central vision. It has shrank in size and dose not affect my line of sight.

So the next part of my vision is my actual ability to see straight out of my eyes. When I was getting eye shots my vision would start to be really good in a few days. Then I would go about life sorta not thinking about said subject. But then little hints of my problems would start to appear. O, I know my next appointment is in 10 days.    Well it was time to get shots.

Yep stick that needle into each eye.

I will post what my aspirin/ willow bark treatment has been doing for me tomorrow am. 

I need to start working on packing as we are leaving next Sunday, or there about.

Will keep informed,    Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

• 2 months later...

It has been one year since I have had a shot in ether eye for macular degeneration.

I have had no floaters. I only ever had them very seldom I’m my life.    

So the doctor said to keep him informed as to how I am doing. I will call his office tomorrow to leave him a message. I do not think I can talk to him, but will have the nurses station give him my update.

Vern

• 2 months later...

I hope it stays good for you, still following and thanks for all the info. I'll take what I can use and leave the rest. I have floaters too and after cataract surgery in 2016 still have them and added halos around lights at night. I wish you continued improvement.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

Well things have been going along what I would consider normal.  No abnormal things happening. I still do a couple test for seeing every few days, just keep track of things. And keeping notes. My next ophthalmologist appointment is in April I think.

So there is one thing that has been really hard to figure out. Now if you know much about me I tend to do rather odd things in life. Last winter after I started the aspirin treatment, I started to see better. So I put a 9” white paper plate on a large cross country electric pole, say 300 yards. So I finally got where I could see it fairly good. So I put another plate out more than twice the distance.

So this winter we are in northwest South Carolina.   It has rained or close to for 5 days a week, the whole winter. Family hear and in Pennsylvania. 

So I put a white milk jug out to look at to test my vision. 1 gallon milk jugs are 97/8” high. This milk jug is 600 yards away from our campsite. Now the milk jug is tied onto a pine tree limb. 

So some days I could see it without glasses and some days with glasses.   After thinking why it changes has got to have a given problem.  Really odd how it changes, just slightly. But my medical situation is steady as she goes.

Well a few days ago it was finally bright and sunny out. All day. Now I can see that milk jug really good.

Could it be moisture in the air.

I hope go to a shooting range tomorrow in Dawsonville Ga. they have a 600 yard range. If I do not shoot, at least I can watch some other people shooting open sites. And I hope it is sunny.

Stay safe,   Vern

4 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Could it be moisture in the air.

Absolutely, it could be. Extreme high humidity does impact how far one can see. The same is true for dust or smoke.

4 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

I hope go to a shooting range tomorrow in Dawsonville Ga. they have a 600 yard range.

My son occasionally takes me to a range of a gun club that has steel targets out to 1000 yards at 100 yard intervals. At each distance there is a round, 12" target and another that is 24". To me the most interesting part is the two are designed such that the ring you get when you it is is quite different for the 12" versus the 24" target. It is great fun and you don't need to chase targets or even use the spotting scope! The down side is that you can sure go through a lot of expensive ammunition. 

Edited by Kirk W

Vern I am glad you are still improving. I had cataract surgery and lost my near vision but don't need glasses to watch TV or drive. My far vision was much worse than I thought. I found out though. So now all of my sunglasses are progressive and photochromic lenses, bifocal and photochromic, or Polarized no reader bifocal.

Shooting with iron sights I need my readers on, but that takes away from my far vision to see where on the target my front sight is. The only shooting I do any more is to periodically fire three shots to check my iron sights/lasers/red dots/scopes just before a semi-annual cleaning and oiling of each of mine. Let me know if you overcome the focus problem with Iron Sights.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998