question about inverter control devices

GlennWest

victron has several types of display controllers and it is somewhat confusing. For me anyway. lol. Victron sells a inverter display unit that uses a rotary dial to limit ac input. Is this needed? Like when hooked up to a small generator. I have the smart shunt and can monitor my battery paks with that.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, Im not exactly familiar with your question and answer HOWEVER here's what I "think"

I've seen Victron Smart Phone controlled APPS for use on their hybrid pass through Inverter whereby you can set the max amps you want to draw from your shore power cord or genset......For example, if hooked to a 15 Amp 120 Volt standard household receptacle and you don't want to risk possibly tripping the homes breaker, you might set it for say 10 or 12 amps MAX and if more is required the Inverter draws its power from your batteries..........

While the genset or home circuit has its own protection if plugged to it or say a garage outlet, Id like the feature to limit current draw even though SURE it's not any necessity

You can get by fine without it but it may be already there and standard as an option with the Victron Pass Through Hybrid Inverter and smart phone control APP  IFFFFFFFFFFF THATS WHAT YOU HAVE ??????????? I have no idea ask the Victron gents here I bet they can much better answer your then me

Help us out

John T  NOT a Victron Inverter owner and in the dark but hey I try  

You do need to have a way to tell the inverter what it is plugged into (50 amp, 30 amp, 20 amp, 15 amp, etc).  If you don't have a way to change this setting, the inverter will blow the breaker when plugged into low amperage sources because the charger will try to pull more power than is available.  You also need to tell the inverter what amperage is available from shore power so it knows when to start power assisting if more power is trying to be used. 

This functionality does not require a display or physical remote panel though.  The easiest way to accomplish this task is to add a VE.Bus Smart Dongle.  This device will allow the user to connect to the inverter via Bluetooth through the Victron Connect app (the same app you use to connect to the smart shunt or BMV 712 battery monitor as well as the Smart Solar controllers).  With the app, you can turn the inverter on and off and change the amperage input setting (as well as get some additional information about what the inverter is doing). 

The remote displays and panels will allow this same functionality, but require some additional wiring and installation considerations.  The VE.Bus Smart Dongle plugs into the inverter via an RJ45 cable and can be wired directly to the inverter's 12 volt connections for its power.  The dongle also comes with double stick tape installed so it can be stuck to the inverter for an easy installation.  It takes about 5 minutes or less to actually install one.

Here is a picture of one installed on the side of a Victron Multiplus 3K inverter.

ics1mwSl.jpg

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

13 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

ics1mwSl.jpg

Does anyone else see a problem with this installation?  I've noticed it in many installs.  Two 100 a/h batteries connected in parallel with heavy gauge cables, positioned so their unprotected (+) and (-) terminals are within an inch of each other and just asking to catch something falling across them.  Maybe the battery BMS will shut down the output before anything gets dangerously hot, but still ...

Edited by Lou Schneider

25 minutes ago, Lou Schneider said:

Does anyone else see a problem with this installation?

The ratchet laying there tells me the installation isn't complete.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

8 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Does anyone else see a problem with this installation?

Oh YESSSSSSSSSSSS I do. I would have such a potentially hazardous condition/location well protected myself. In addition, catastrophic overcurrent protection needs to be close to the source of energy. With those high energy storage batteries you're talkin possibly hundreds and hundreds of amps into a short circuit with enough sparks fire and heat to *&^%$#(*&#@

Scares me Lou

Merry CHRISTmas to all here

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

15 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Does anyone else see a problem with this installation?  I've noticed it in many installs.  Two 100 a/h batteries connected in parallel with heavy gauge cables, positioned so their unprotected (+) and (-) terminals are within an inch of each other and just asking to catch something falling across them.  Maybe the battery BMS will shut down the output before anything gets dangerously hot, but still ...

That is simple picture mid installation to show the VE.Bus Smart Dongle (which is why it was posted).  That installation is nowhere near complete.  You can see walls missing and tools laying around.  Those batteries got a box built around them to cover them once the installation was complete.  Anyone who would leave exposed batteries in a basement storage area where gear could fall on them should not be doing installations.  

That is not to say you should never leave exposed batteries.  If the batteries are in their own compartment with nothing else or if they are installed behind walls where nothing can get to them, then there is no need to cover them.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg