Kenworth Day Cab to Sleeper Conversion?

medicmike

I found an older single screw KW W900 (1979) that is a day cab at a pretty good price, appears to be in good shape and I love the looks of it. Would it be practical to get something like this and add a sleeper so it could be registered as an RV? It looks like there would be room on the frame. I am more concerned with fit and mounting issues. Anyone on here done something like this? I can stretch the frame a bit if I need room to add an RV 5th hitch.

Check truck salvage yards.  There are usually several add-on sleeper cab available.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

16 minutes ago, medicmike said:

I found an older single screw KW W900 (1979) that is a day cab at a pretty good price, appears to be in good shape and I love the looks of it. Would it be practical to get something like this and add a sleeper so it could be registered as an RV? It looks like there would be room on the frame. I am more concerned with fit and mounting issues. Anyone on here done something like this? I can stretch the frame a bit if I need room to add an RV 5th hitch.

Howdy Mike,

Just about anything is possible, it's a matter of time and skill if you do it yourself or money if you hire the job out.  Before you commit to such a project it might be wise to see if a suitable sleeper is available, it's cost and the cost of having the work done.

Sometimes on a project such as this the initial cost of the truck might be well out weighted buy the cost of the completed project and it's real world value down the road.  That said, the KW W900 is a classic truck and for that alone I vote HELL YEAH.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

The work involved I believe, is within our skillset (working with my son on this, (I'm an adequate fabricator, he is a darned good fabricator). I was concerned somewhat about the cab structure in carving out enough of the back wall to add a step through sleeper (reinforcement needed once cut? Will I need to add some hat channel etc. or will it be ok as-is?). I have found several sleepers that should work, prices vary wildly ($500-2500 and up). Just wondering if someone had done this in the past. Found a very small amount of info thanks to Google but researching what can of worms I may be opening :)

And I am really liking the idea of a classic truck!

Edited by medicmike

79 is not an air ride cab?   It should be pretty easy to do a sleeper or other conversion.     I saw an interesting photo the other day, a late 70's Pete 359 with a pick up slide in camper as a sleeper.    The sides were finished with storage cabinets.     The camper adds all the RV elements in one.    

Yea it could be real red neck OR done right a great conversion.    The one I saw bordered on the former BUT, I saw potential there.     Any way you do an add on you will need Huck bolt tools.     Regarding 2 axle day cabs, be sure the wheelbase is there to add a sleeper, many are very short.   

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Just checking, but did you verify the requirements for a motorhome in your state?

Around here, Cincinnati area, there are lots of trucks running around with panels added to the rear of the cab to fill the hole where a sleeper used to reside.  Nearly all of those are PACCAR units. Finding a used one should be easy.  Hang out near a gravel pit or grain terminal, and when you see a truck that's had the sleeper removed, ask if they still have it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I added a 48" Pete sleeper to the back of my Volvo. Not attached to the cab, merely bolted down to act as a toy box with the former cab access turned rear. Filled the opening with a school bus door and a FG panel over it. Salvage yards have lots of sleepers, not real expensive. And BTW, I had to narrow it 10" to fit between the Volvo fairings

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........