Selling to Camping world

On 12/15/2021 at 5:45 AM, Kirk W said:

Sounds pretty typical of most dealing with either an RV dealer or a car dealer. I think that they both go to the same school. ☺️  Glad that you got what you wanted. 

Auto, truck, and RV dealers all use the "smoke & mirror" method - along with getting an OK from the sales manager.  Wait here (in the "closing room") while I go talk to him !!

IMO - you are MUCH better off to sell what you have yourself.  "Shop" what you want on the internet - near and far.  *IF* you are willing to order what you want - you are also MUCH better off.

Get your "benchmark" price.  *If* there is a dealer close to your location, see if they will match -or come close enough- to get your business.  OR - go to the "distant" dealer WHEN you have a written contract, with a "reasonable" (& refundable) deposit made by you.

No hassle selling yourself:  Advertise on CraigsList. Use an automated phone service - usually about $8 per month.  The one I use allows an outgoing message of up to 5 minutes!  (I only need about one minute).

Tell prospective callers what you have (floor plan, etc.) and the  asking price.  *YOU will return calls in order received.  (*YOU don't have to answer the phone at 2AM or 10PM - or return obvious BS calls).  NO e-mails!

I did the above with a TT at about midnight.  Thought I would check calls the following day at 5PM.  Had 95 calls (Some were duplicates).  The first call was from a guy 2 hrs after I recorded the message  (would have been the 2AM caller!!)

He showed up the same day at 9PM from about 50 miles away - paid my asking price in cash.  BTW - this was before COVID, well before the supposed "RV shortage".

BTW - more than one caller offered more than my asking price - but I wasn't interested in "show and tell", and/or negotiate with tire kickers.

Repeated the process with an aluminum fishing boat with the same result - cash buyer was only about 10 miles away.  (Only had about ten calls on that one).

Note:  both were in good to xln't condition, "as advertised".  I would do it "my way" again in a heart beat.

Glad the OP had results he was happy with at CW.  IMO - suspect the used trailer went to one of the many auctions (big one in Las Vegas) - and the $$ offered by CW was covered in the "S & M" deal.

If CW was simply going to "purchase" the OP's trailer - why would they need a contract?  Pay up, sign the title - thank you and adios!

Whatever rings your chimes is dyno-mite!

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Coolbean767 said:

Does camping world actually look at your camper for a trade? If they gave me a quote and I sign all the paperwork for the trade can they lower their offer? 

Yes, if it is not in the condition to which you testified, it's in the details/fine print.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, Coolbean767 said:

If they gave me a quote and I sign all the paperwork for the trade can they lower their offer? 

If the offer was not in writing, it is worthless. Assuming that it is a written, legal contract, that depends entirely on what is written into the contract. In all such offers that I know of, the contract states that the amount offered is "pending inspection and appraisal of the RV." In such a case the offer is not binding on the dealer but may well be written to be binding on you. Making offers that are not binding and just bait to get you there is a very common tactic with many RV sales people. Is the quote written and signed by an officer of the dealership? Does it clearly state the amount of the offer with no restrictions? If the answer to any of this is no, then the answer to your question is "Yes they can lower the offer or completely rescind it." Do you have a lawyer available to advise you and help to enforce it? 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We've been on the other side. We traded RVs at a dealer. In spite of us inviting people in to see it several times, they never went inside. Even their trade-in guy, who took the keys to check the odometer, never looked behind the driver's seat. Quite some time after the deal was closed and we left with our new RV, they contacted us about the fact we had changed the interior from the standard they expected and that change was going to cost them money to bring it back to standard. They could not require us to do anything about it then. We had encouraged them to check it out but they were so certain they knew what they were buying. In all cases, it is up to the buyer to understand what they are buying.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van