Easiest Route- Idaho Falls to Medford Oregon

Need a route from the Idaho Falls area to Medford Oregon.  We are a big rig, and double tow behind the RV.  Looking for a route that will get us as close as possible before we have to separate and my wife will drive the car.  This is gonna be in mid to late November.  If weather doesn't cooperate for us to come across I-90, we'll drop down and run I-80 thru Salt Lake and Nevada.  

Also looking for suggestions for overnight stops. 

Suggestions?  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I don't know why you'd go all the way up to I-90.  I-80 would be my choice.  There are a couple secondary two-lane routes with shorter miles but not for November.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

If it were me, I would take I-15 down to I-86 & I-84. Depending on how the weather is at Oregon/Idaho line choose between US20/US395 into Medford or stay on I-84 as an alternate if weather looks iffy.  Depending on weather conditions you could use I-80 as an alternate,  To go there via US20 is about 750 miles, via I-80 is 950 miles, using I-84 via Portland is 980 miles, while going up to I-90 through Spokane and Seattle would be 1200+ miles.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes to I-86 to I-84 to US20 - as mentioned by many, and if weather looks good! Suspect weather will be your deciding factor out the various route options suggested:)!

We ran that direction, but went into Bend vs Medford. 

In Caldwell, ID - The Ambassador RV Resort is well fun, and you might be able to remain all hooked up... (Our 45' with CRV in tow, still had some room on our site:)!).

Travel safe,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Watch the weather, for sure.  On Hwy 20 west of Juntura is Drinkwater and Stinkingwater Passes.  Westbound on Drinkwater is 6% downhill for 3 miles. Westbound on Stinkingwater 4-6% grade downhill.  Hwy 20 is wide open and could be windy with snow.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

19 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I don't know why you'd go all the way up to I-90.  I-80 would be my choice.  There are a couple secondary two-lane routes with shorter miles but not for November.

I'm in Bismarck ND.  If weather cooperates it would be I-94 to Billings, I-90 to Idaho Falls, and then something further west.

8 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

In Caldwell, ID - The Ambassador RV Resort is well fun, and you might be able to remain all hooked up... (Our 45' with CRV in tow, still had some room on our site:)!).

Travel safe,

Smitty

We've been to the West Coast rally twice at Ambassador RV Resort.  Nice place.

So 20 is good if the weather is good... otherwise we'll drop down and make our way to I-5 and run up to Medford.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

'm in Bismarck ND.  If weather cooperates it would be I-94 to Billings, I-90 to Idaho Falls, and then something further west.

Based on that route, you would have to leave I-90 at Bozeman and take US191 south to West Yellowstone and then US20 on south to Idaho Falls. Or you could take I-90 to Bute, then I-15 south to Pocatello and I-84/86 and then west to US20.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you are in Bismarck, and the weather is ok, then run I-90 to Spokane, then take  US 395 west of Spokane to hit I-82 in the Pasco area to I-84, run that to the east side of Portland, pick up I-205 around Portland and then I-5 south to Medford.  Quickest way to go, least number of passes, misses the problems going over the Cascades, etc.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

21 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

If you are in Bismarck, and the weather is ok, then run I-90 to Spokane, then take  US 395 west of Spokane to hit I-82 in the Pasco area to I-84, run that to the east side of Portland, pick up I-205 around Portland and then I-5 south to Medford.  Quickest way to go, least number of passes, misses the problems going over the Cascades, etc.  

We double tow and I don't want my wife to have to follow me any further than she has to.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins