1st gen vnl caution light

solo318

I have a 98 vnl with a cummins N14. recently the caution light comes on and the engine seems to "derate" to 1200 RPMs. it will carry on for a little while when I start it up cold, then run fine for the rest of the trip. My digital display is non functioning, so I have no Idea what the light is on for. The oil pressure and temp show good on the gauges, But the oil pressure is swinging up and down on my scan gauge. (never below 30, but it will go up to 45 and back down and cycle there while the engine is cold. I found a crack in the old sensor and have replaced it. I haven't driven it yet, but hope that fixes it. Any other things that would give me a "caution" light and a Derate?

Are you talking about the cam sensor. I had one fail a few years ago while on a trip from Arizona to Pennsylvania. It was short on power when we left on the trip. But I was trying to outrun a wind storm.

I had one with me so I changed it in Dodge city Kansas. It’s been running great since then.

We have Cummins n14

Hope these thoughts help.    Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr