Range on Victron Smart shunt

Jay I think you are right about the phone. It is a cheap one. It is brand new though. Walmart special for prepaid verizon. Chromebook sees it good. Just goes to 80% and starts over. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

48 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Jay I think you are right about the phone. It is a cheap one. It is brand new though. Walmart special for prepaid verizon. Chromebook sees it good. Just goes to 80% and starts over. 

I didn't actually want to say it, but I know you don't do expensive phones... Lol  Jay

All ways thought expensive phones was a rich mans cup of tea. I always buy cheaper phones. Paid about 90.00 dollars for mine. But back to the smart shunt. Poor bluetooth is a known problem. All over the Victron community. Wished I had went there before buying. One stated you should be able to use the bluetooth dongle and use it. But that is more money for something that is advertised to work. My first Victron product sucks.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I have installed multiple smart shunts in various rigs.  I have never had any connection issues with them.  I can easily connect in a 30-40 foot radius to every one I have ever installed.  I am always connecting with an iPhone though.  It does make a difference where they are installed.  If they are surrounded by metal, they will have a difficult time broadcasting their Bluetooth signal.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

It is in my generator area on my Teton. Only the chassis steel in the fifth wheel area is there. There is steel there. Go to Victron Community and there are several posts concerning this. Even state they can see inverters and such but not smart shunt unless right close to it.

Edited by GlennWest

Chad, do you remember the bolt size on the shunt? It rather short for multiple lugs. Would like to put a stud in it if I can find one. Maybe cut a bolt and make a stud. Now I put a fuse on each end for connecting lugs. I could get a piece of copper and drill holes but stud easier and less connections.

10 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Chad, do you remember the bolt size on the shunt? It rather short for multiple lugs. Would like to put a stud in it if I can find one. Maybe cut a bolt and make a stud. Now I put a fuse on each end for connecting lugs. I could get a piece of copper and drill holes but stud easier and less connections.

I don't remember and I can't find it in the literature.  I have put a longer bolt in one in the past, but I just took the original to the hardware store with me to size the new one properly.  I don't remember what size it was though.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

On 8/2/2021 at 11:11 AM, GlennWest said:

This one is metric. It close to a 3/8".

Hi Glenn - I have a 500A/50mV Smart Shunt in inventory on the projects to do shelf.  The bolts are M10 x 15, 1.5 pitch.  10mm diameter, 15mm thread length, 1.5 thread pitch

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 3 months later...

Wondering about this very thing as I contemplate adding a smart shunt on my battery bank in my truck. The battery box on my century even though it is plastic is located between the frame rails under the drom box and of course totally surrounded by the steel of my bed....

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, Detroit 60 Series 14L, Eaton Fuller 10spd Ultrashift, w/3:73

No photo description available.

If mine was on storage area close to tank area, it would work in living room area. Mine is at very front of storage. Where one would put a generator on a fifth wheel. At my steps into bedroom it works. 

I switched from  a Victron 100/30 solar controller to a 100/50, and my phone no longer would connect to the controller from the truck.  It appears the newer Bluetooth transmitter used by Victron  is weaker than the old.  I added a Victron VE Direct Dongle, and things are back to normal, ie 30' - 40' range.  

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2021 at 1:07 PM, GlennWest said:

How would you hook that up to the shunt? Oh sorry, thought that had a usb connection. I may get it. 

This dongle should plug directly into you current smart shunt.  I have the same complaint about mine , I have gone to a compleat Cerbo that has a tough screen and  BMV 712 .  I think because of the weak signal and lots of metal upfront in the  step up from the fame drop area the signal cant get out of that area very well.  It seams like I can view the shunt from about 30' in front of the RV but not 6' behind the step up or in the bedroom.