OT: Travel Trailer/Fifth Wheel

SuiteSuccess

My kids are wanting a travel trailer/fifth wheel that could safely be pulled with a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel.  They have two children so a bunkhouse is preferable but they also want as close to four season as possible.  Prior to DRV we had a 24’ Layton pull behind and a 32’ Keystone Cougar but nothing else.  I have suggested Arctic Fox but they are few and far between on the used market.  Length needs to be around 30’ or greater but weight and durability is important.  Any experiences or suggestions?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Our daughter and hubby just bought a cedar Creek after selling their travel trailer.  They use a F250 diesel to pull it within tow and weight ratings.  I don't know if they have any bunk models within the ratings of a 3/4 ton truck.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

2 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Our daughter and hubby just bought a cedar Creek after selling their travel trailer.  They use a F250 diesel to pull it within tow and weight ratings.  I don't know if they have any bunk models within the ratings of a 3/4 ton truck.

Ken

Thanks 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

3 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Ken

If looking at used in the Cedar Creeks for bunks check their Silverback line

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Grand Design has trailers in the weight range and floor plan they are looking for.  I have done several installations on Grand Designs recently and have a friend who bought one as well.  My impressions on the ones I worked on and my friend's impressions from his are all positive so far.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

40 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

Grand Design has trailers in the weight range and floor plan they are looking for.  I have done several installations on Grand Designs recently and have a friend who bought one as well.  My impressions on the ones I worked on and my friend's impressions from his are all positive so far.

We're in our second Grand Design fifth wheel (full-timers) and have been happy with both of them. The issue I see for the OP is the combination of "bunkhouse" and "2500 diesel." Our 36' Reflection fifth wheel - a "mid-profile" conventional floorplan - put a little over 3,000 lbs. on the pin. GD's lighter Reflection 150 Series doesn't come in a bunkhouse and the smallest/lightest (regular) Reflection bunkhouse, the 31MB, will put about 2,700 lbs. on the pin when loaded. If their Ram 2500 diesel has that kind of payload (hitch, passengers, etc., included), I would recommend looking at the 31MB.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Have you done a Google on them?  Lots of ideas out there.  Good way to look at specs.  Do they plan to use it in the winter with kids in school?  If typical family vacations you don't have to look for a 4-season.  Here are a couple sites:

https://www.generalrv.com/blog/12-must-see-bunkhouse-rv-floorplans/

https://camperguide.org/travel-trailers-with-bunk-beds/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

If they are negotiable on size, they might want to also check out the two Lance bunkhouse models, the 2185 and the 2445 for comparison.  They have some design features that make them close to 4 seasons (say 3-1/2?  I wouldn’t want to spend the winter in Minnesota in one).  The 2185 may be too small, but it’s been around for a long time so finding a used one will be easier.  The 2445 is bigger and fairly new.  It had some initial design problems when it first came out two years ago (or about that) so I would be a careful about a used one - research is needed more than with other models.  There are a couple of other design issues I’m not crazy about, but the owners I know seem to really like them.  Either one would match well with a 2500 truck.

Thank you for the responses.  Am researching all suggestions.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3