Starlink 'Train'... 100 strong?

Setting outside with my wife this evening, around 9:00 PM Arizona time... saw 90+ satellites in a row, traversing the night sky from the West to the East.   I assume Starlink... and the effect was phenomenal.   It appeared to be two different 'groupings', but were spaced close together and could well have been over 100 satellites in total.

Life is great!

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Awesome Jim! As the weather gets just a bit warmer here evenings we will look for that.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Starlink satellites are typically launched in groups of 60 and begin spreading out shortly after reaching their initial orbital track.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

27 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Starlink satellites are typically launched in groups of 60 and begin spreading out shortly after reaching their initial orbital track.

Thought we had heard that, but I am sure that we saw more than 60... there was the first 'train', and then a 2nd 'train' a few minutes later - definite gap in between, but not a long one...   Together, we think we counted +/- 100.   Do you think it could have been two launches?   

2007 Dolphin

6 minutes ago, Jim & Alice said:

Thought we had heard that, but I am sure that we saw more than 60... there was the first 'train', and then a 2nd 'train' a few minutes later - definite gap in between, but not a long one...   Together, we think we counted +/- 100.   Do you think it could have been two launches?   

SpaceX launched 60 sats on April 29th and another 60 on May 4th, so it's certainly possible you saw both "trains"  since the 29th group wouldn't have separated a lot yet.

Dutch

Saw the 'trains' again this evening, Thursday, May 6, @ ~9:00 PM.   This is almost exactly 24 hours later from last night... Interesting!   We were enjoying an evening campfire with friends.... and one of them looked up and said... Look!   There they were.   Lots of good chat material about Elon Musk!

2007 Dolphin

Jim, we moved here effectively Nov 2019 then the pandemic two months later so we haven't met all our neighbors. I met Ed who works at Space Command and he is a satellite tracker and he said they would fly over last night at 8:30 but the overcast screened them. But now he knows I am interested. Kind of fun job to have IMHO.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

SpaceX launched another 60 Starlink satellites early this morning, so watch for another "train". The Falcon 9 booster used successfully landed for a record 10th time! That makes 15 successful launches and landings so far this year. I'm starting to think they've got this reusability thing figured out... ;)

Dutch

5 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

That makes 15 successful launches and landings so far this year. I'm starting to think they've got this reusability thing figured out... ;)

This is outstanding, Dutch!   Makes me feel like I am 15 years old again... reading Robert Heinlein science fiction!

2007 Dolphin

Jim, I Met Ed yesterday afternoon checking the mail at the block mailbox. I told him the same thing how I envied him being able to do that as a daily job! I'll be seeing him again and hope to get to know him better.

I checked the website guide guide link Lou provided, and found here we have no visibility for the next five days or so. I may need to get a decent hobby telescope.

Anyway you're right. You know I am a Heinlein fan since 1960 when I read my first Heinlein juvenile book at age 9 and can't remember which as I re-read many of his works. https://www.azquotes.com/author/6509-Robert_A_Heinlein

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

10 hours ago, RV_ said:

Anyway you're right. You know I am a Heinlein fan since 1960 when I read my first Heinlein juvenile book at age 9 and can't remember which as I re-read many of his works. https://www.azquotes.com/author/6509-Robert_A_Heinlein

Just talked to my daughter in Michigan... and she drove a few miles out into the country to see a 'dim viewing' starlink train... She's 40, and I raised her, and her brother, on Heinlein.   Derek, dumbest thing I ever did when we downsized to go full timing... was to sell my science fiction paperback collection.   I had accumulated it over decades and had filled (more than) two full 6' x 3' bookshelves.   We had donated the collection to our church for a fundraiser sale... and I heard an MD bought it in-total.   I think I had everything Mr. Heinlein ever wrote.   And knowing you a little bit, Derek,  I am not surprised that you are a Heinlein fan too!

Edited by Jim & Alice

2007 Dolphin

Grok you.  We kept a copy of Stranger in A Strange Land and Number of the Beast, but all of the rest were given away.  Same with all of the Dune series.  A lot our now available through iBooks, but it isn't the same as holding them in your hands.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Back in the day when I worked 7/7 offshore I was in a book of the month club. Had tons of hardback sci-fi books.  Sadly over the years and especially when we went full-time I had to get rid of them. Asimov, Andre Norton, PK Dick were some of my favorites. 

But of all of those the ones I truly miss are the classic novels I grew up with: Tom Sawyer, Huck, Treasure Island.  

Nowadays everything I read is on my phone. 

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

13 hours ago, folivier said:

Back in the day when I worked 7/7 offshore I was in a book of the month club. Had tons of hardback sci-fi books.

I can well appreciate the loss, folivier.   I started buying used paperback Science Fiction in the early 70's, at a used book store on Airline Drive in Bossier City, LA.   I carried them with me to Michigan... and over four different houses.   After 40 years in IT, I still can't adapt to reading on electronic devices - instead, gotta have a piece of paper in front of me.   Going thru a mini-withdrawal right now as we talk as I am clearing out my 'Book 'Drawer' in the motorhome preparing to store the MH for a few months and (once again) downsizing.   The good news is... I can fill it up again when we get back!

2007 Dolphin

14 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Grok you.

🙂 Grok you too, Barbara.   Reading your excellent comments for years, I am not surprised.   And the 'holding book in hand'... yes, I just can't get the same 'feel' when holding electronics.   Something about turning pages... 

2007 Dolphin

Jim, downsizing to RV full time got me too in 1997. Fortunately we had family to leave a few small book boxes containing my can't live without paperbacks from my old library. I also kept my full set with book jackets of Will and Ariel Durant's "The Story Of Civilization" as well as their "Story Of Philosophy."

Yes "Stranger In A Strange Land," as well as "Time Enough For Love" and in the picture are some collector's editions of science fiction as well as some Anais Nin, and other authors. I sold all my hard covers except for about 20, and saved only my very old or first edition paperbacks. Here are four in my computer desk hutch:

qq9xcsHl.jpg

Jim I too preferred analog ceiling lit/sky lit reading devices, but not any more. I did the Kindle Paperwhite but it was too small and I do not read in the sun, instead before bed every night for from a minute to an hour. I have my old Fire 8.9" HDX but Amazon stops supporting their devices in three to five years. So I sold the Paperwhite and bought the new Fire HD 8 Plus tablet and they have had page turning animation to them and I love them. In addition, since we are Prime members for life, my library stays in the cloud. The cost of the tablet was about $89 last Black Friday and I bought it. Fire HD+ 8"

Downloading a book from my Kindle library takes only a few seconds so I could get three or four of my books downloaded while eating lunch at a place with free WiFi. I use it only for playing Amazon music via my Bose SoundLink Mini II while reading my latest book on the throne with the Fire tablet. I have Kindle on my phone and all my computers. The Fire Plus 8" is about the size of a paperback and I would spend more than $89 a year on books. I made videos of my valuable electronics and multimedia collections as well as the Household goods, antiques, Laser discs and CDs,  and books, every time we moved in the military for 27 years active in case they were lost or damaged in transit.

Jim, they even made it animated to respond to turning a page like an analog front lit reading device!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

The final Heinlein book is "The Pursuit of The Pankera", which was never published during his lifetime.  It was written in 1977 and shares the beginning with "The Number of the Beast" but diverges as soon as Gay Deceiver makes the first jump into a parallel universe.  In essence, Heinlein wrote two parallel novels about the same 4 characters visiting parallel universes.

The manuscript was discovered in bits and pieces.  It took 3 years to assemble them and realize it was a complete book.  Published in 2020 and available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle.

I really enjoyed this unexpected epilog by the Master.

https://booksreadingorder.com/pursuit-of-pankera/

Edited by Lou Schneider

17 hours ago, RV_ said:

Jim, downsizing to RV full time got me too in 1997. Fortunately we had family to leave a few small book boxes containing my can't live without paperbacks from my old library. I also kept my full set with book jackets of Will and Ariel Durant's "The Story Of Civilization" as well as their "Story Of Philosophy."

Derek, You had, and have, some great books.   My science fiction books were all paperback, for the most part, making them easy to carry-and-read.   Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit will Travel" sticks in my mind as his best (teenage boy), "The Menace from Earth" most creative (personal flying in air reservoirs on the Moon), and of course, "Stranger in a Strange Land" for provocative thought... "Starship Troopers" pushed me towards the Marines.   Both my kids (as teenagers) received "Have Spacesuit will Travel" as a Christmas gift from Dad... 

I did a lot of reading over the years... Enjoying ancient history (Tacitus - Histories, etc) and still have a few highly treasured miscellaneous hardbacks saved - one is "The Education of a Golfer", an autobiography by Sam Snead.   That wonderful, and hilarious, book taught me how to play golf as a kid, starting as a caddy at the local country club.  What would the world be without books!

2007 Dolphin

Lou good one! I have not read "Variable star" Published in 2006 or "Pursuit of Pankara" published 2020. New to me Heinlein.

Right now I am reading Echoes of Atlantis: Crones, Templars and the Lost Continent (Templars in America Series Book 6) Kindle Edition. The series is 11 books long I have read 1-6. Fascinating conclusions and actual pictures of the messages left behind in America of peoples that were here long before Columbus. It is historical speculation not fiction. My term. https://www.amazon.com/Echoes-Atlantis-Templars-Continent-America-ebook/dp/B01MXJ0BNX/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Atlantis+and+the+Templars&qid=1620848218&s=digital-text&sr=1-2

Prime shipping has become overnight here. And they are building a new warehouse East of the Springs now.

Now I have to go through my two boxes of books to see what I have.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998