Starlink 'Train'... 100 strong?

how long till one of them has a crash with a  chunk of space trash and then breaks up and causes others in that orbit to smash up and start a cascade effect?

every launch, even musks rockets leave trash in orbit. just look what the communists in china did last month.

5 hours ago, packnrat said:

how long till one of them has a crash with a  chunk of space trash and then breaks up and causes others in that orbit to smash up and start a cascade effect?

every launch, even musks rockets leave trash in orbit. just look what the communists in china did last month.

The Starlink satellites are equipped with collision avoidance technology. All components of every Starlink launch either burns up as it reenters the atmosphere or is recovered like the Falcon 9 boosters and fairings. The low altitudes that Starlink uses ensures relatively short term reentry and destruction, including the Starlink satellites themselves if end of life powered reentry fails.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

and in the past couple of years they found one part of a old satarn 5 rocket still in orbit.

and the tinker toy in orbit has a cracked window, it was cracked by a paint chip.

do not get me wrong, i do believe we need to be a multi planet species. but there is so much trash floating around up there now.

9 hours ago, packnrat said:

and in the past couple of years they found one part of a old satarn 5 rocket still in orbit.

and the tinker toy in orbit has a cracked window, it was cracked by a paint chip.

do not get me wrong, i do believe we need to be a multi planet species. but there is so much trash floating around up there now.

Debris left in orbits below 370 miles normally fall back to earth within several years. The Starlink satellites are at ~340 miles...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system