3 120v inverters?

I am contemplating this. I understand 2 120v inverters supplying each leg. I always have thought this has to come in pairs of two. But can 3 120v units work to supply L1 and L2 equally? I know in a house we run a single line to a receptacle and feed 2 items/circuits. Can't get my head around doing this. Possible? Is it as simple as running to a bussbar and come off with 2 lines? Or I could rearrange my electrical panel and put high draw items on one leg and feed two inverters to it. Low draw on other leg and 1 inverter on it.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

You would have to figure out how to get the inverters in phase with each other. Easier just to get a bigger inverter.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I have no information on how 3 inverters would work together but with the breaker box and the wiring you have each leg is limited to 50 amps.  In reality only 40 amps as it isn't advisable to plan more than 80%.  The neutral is also limited to 50 amps.  The reason the nuetral can carry split phase is loads cancel out. My thoughts are 3 inverters are going to be problematic or maybe worse unless you are planning on a major rewire.  Keeping the ability to plug in will also complicate things.  To wrap up I think it can be done but is it worth it?

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

In order to parallel the output of two inverters, they must be synced, i.e. in phase even if you are not attempting to produce 120/240V single phase.  Most inverters will not do this, although a Grid-Tie inverter might be used to sync one to the other.  

I suspect it will be less expensive to use 2 inverters, each sized for the appropriate loads, and keeping each completely independent of each other.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

I have never seen inverters with the ability to run in parallel, but they may exist. In order to to do that you will need inverters designed to do so and the proper parallel connections. That is exactly what is done with portable generators that come with parallel kits as those are inverter/generators.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Glenn and Kirk,  sure its "possible" to use three Inverters, multiples are often used, all that's required is for them to be in sync, that's fairly understood in the industry,,,, HOWEVER (use of 3)  IS JUST NOT A METHOD I PREFER OR SAW BACK WHEN I PRACTICED POWER DISTRIBUTION. Two should well suffice for RV use. A 50 Amp RV with two legs of 120 VAC equals 12,000 Watts and houses can run on less. You have already figured out you can use a dry transformer to obtain 240 Volts if your inverters cant supply it.

As always its YOUR money, YOUR RV, YOUR choice even if its NOT my preferred method... 

Let us know what you decide

John T

6 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Decided to go with a Growatt 12k unit. It is a low frequency unit with 2 mppt controllers built-in. Does 120/240 also. Overkill but shouldn't run hard at all.

WISE CHOICE, In my opinion it 1) Beats two or three separate units,,,,,,,,, 2) Has the 240 you need for a mini split (saves the need for a separate dry transformer),,,,,,,,,,,3) Can supply 12,000 Watts same as the Utility for a 50 Amp RV ,,,,,,,,,,,,,4) Has MPPT controllers

John T

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Decided to go with a Growatt 12k unit. It is a low frequency unit with 2 mppt controllers built-in. Does 120/240 also. Overkill but shouldn't run hard at all.

Eat your cheerios as that is a heavy unit.  I have been looking for the specs but I guess I am not looking in the right place.  What is the idle draw?  Can it operate in parallel with another inverter? 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Yes, it can be paralleled with another but I never will. 85% efficiency. According to Average Joe youtube video 9 watts on power saver mode. Not sure what that does yet or if I can run it like this. 175 pounds, might call you to help me mount it. Lol

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1