aluminum flooring thickness

house

Not really HDT Related but I am currently building a new Draft horse Hitch Wagon, and to save weight I am going to use an aluminum plate floor, I just need some help deciding how thick to buy, obviously I am trying to keep weight down but I also dont want a bunch of flex,  the subfloor is .75x.75  16 gauge square tubing on 12 in centers,  the floor is 50" wide. I am kind of leaning towards .100,  the next option down is .063 which I think will be to thin.  I would love to hear your suggestions. 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Marine plywood for quietness and strength...

A course aluminum is probably less cost that plywood these days 🤪

Not sure about that. The two 16' sheets of 3/16"  alumn. deckplate on the back of my truck was $1400. This stuff is an ouch right now. Kinda like 2x4 framing.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

20 hours ago, Randyretired said:

If you can find some bleacher seats that have been junked they make a good strong and light floor.  Usually pretty inexpensive.

Ya the flatbed on my won ton Ford Fordor is an Aluma. They make trailers, enclosed trailer floors and picnic tables from the same plank profile. 

They are plenty strong for recreational haulage. If you chop holes for goose neck B&W hitches or whatever you have to stitch weld the planks because they span the deck. The sills attach with their proprietary extrusion clips. The sills are adjustable width wise with this system.

They aren’t the deck to use to add ballast weight to a truck. 3 of us picked up the 84”x115” single wheel pickup model and set it on my truck. 300lbs approx.

I bought some extra clips so I can hang stuff under the deck like a box or two or chain hangers.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We built a houseboat and used those bleachers for the floor and the roof that was for walking on.  Very strong, light weight and not terribly expensive.  The ramps and support structure to carry our car are made from them and aluminum angle. With supports 12" on center you could support the world on it.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

The.063 won't brake of course and it probably won't bend right away, probably not at all if its supported 12 inches in both directions and welded. But if you put anything heavy in it it could and I think over time it will sag, stretch really, so I think .100 is a better bet. My fore cart had 1/8 extruded metal floor that was not supported well, I think all around and in the middle.  It never went anywhere. 

On 4/16/2021 at 11:41 AM, noteven said:

Ya the flatbed on my won ton Ford Fordor is an Aluma. They make trailers, enclosed trailer floors and picnic tables from the same plank profile. 

They are plenty strong for recreational haulage. If you chop holes for goose neck B&W hitches or whatever you have to stitch weld the planks because they span the deck. The sills attach with their proprietary extrusion clips. The sills are adjustable width wise with this system.

They aren’t the deck to use to add ballast weight to a truck. 3 of us picked up the 84”x115” single wheel pickup model and set it on my truck. 300lbs approx.

I bought some extra clips so I can hang stuff under the deck like a box or two or chain hangers.

Where can you find the used bleacher boards?  Looking online and not finding much....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

36 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Where can you find the used bleacher boards?  Looking online and not finding much....

I found the ones I used at a local recycle center.  No longer in business.   There was a repurpose center in Denver that had some also but I can't remember their name.  Probably need to check recycle and repurpose aluminum centers.  Hopefully there is one near you that has some.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Most aluminum plank companies appear to have fastener systems to hold the planks - or you could drill and fasten or weld or glue ...

Structural planks could reduce the amount of fabricated structure needed to support the deck.

One company called "Markstaar" shows a 1"x8" x 8ft plank for approx $58.00 each or $900 for a 8' x 10' deck

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.