Hot Water From Tankless Water Heater

Mike Diesel

I have a Girard Model GSWH-2 tankless water heater.   It is activated by water flow according to the manual.  Works great from bathroom faucet and shower with no problems.  When I turn on the hot water from the kitchen sink it does not trigger the water heater, even though its further away from the tank it should still trigger water flow.   Even if I turn on shower or bath faucet to get the water heater on and then turn on kitchen faucet it does not always stay on once I turn off the other appliance.   Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

How's the flowrate at the kitchen sink, compared to either of the others? If you pull the aerator off, will it trigger the heater?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

There is a flow control valve on the rear of the unit, lower left corner ( I think ) it is white, we had one in our unit when we bought but the manufacture switched to the Truma brand and even upgraded ours at a rally for us. The Girard 2 is ok but a BIG learning curve

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

On 3/30/2021 at 3:18 PM, Mike Diesel said:

I have a Girard Model GSWH-2 tankless water heater.   It is activated by water flow according to the manual.  Works great from bathroom faucet and shower with no problems.  When I turn on the hot water from the kitchen sink it does not trigger the water heater, even though its further away from the tank it should still trigger water flow.   Even if I turn on shower or bath faucet to get the water heater on and then turn on kitchen faucet it does not always stay on once I turn off the other appliance.   Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tankless water heaters!  Maybe just the Girard.  

Ideas & thoughts.  Pull the piece of junk out and put in the old fashioned water heater with a tank water heater.

Our experience was that you MUST have enough water flow to keep the water heater, heating.  If not the flame turns off and it goes into a cool down cycle for some 20-30 seconds.  If during that time you turn the water on all you get is cold water until the cool down cycle ends.  

Since, for a variety of reasons, when we are in our RV a most of the time we are not connected to sewer.  When we do dishes or shower we limit the amount we turn the faucets on.  Because of this the Girard we had would not stay on heating the water.  I replaced it with a tank water heater.    

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, Al F said:

Ideas & thoughts.  Pull the piece of junk out and put in the old fashioned water heater with a tank water heater.

We have a Girard, too, and I hate it much for the same reasons.  We had so many problems with it this past winter that I'm just fed up with it!  This summer we're going to check into whether or not we can replace it with a tank water heater and how much it would cost if we can. 

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

18 hours ago, fly2low said:

LindaH

Check out the Truma.  I switched about a year ago and am happy with it

4 hours ago, bja1234 said:

We have had a Truma for 3 years.  Has always worked per specs.  Unfortunately the specs are too cold for a bathtub so we microwave some water to bring the temperature up to wife's specs.

1)  Is the Truma gas operated?

2)  If it is gas operated, does the heater go through a cool down cycle when the water flow stops?  Then will it immediately relight when the water flow starts even during a cool down cycle?  

I ask question #2 because, when we wash dishes we will run the hot water until warm water starts to flow out the faucet and then generally let the water run for several seconds and then off for 5-10 seconds and then back on, and so forth.  The Giarad we had would turn off the flame once the water stopped flowing (as I would expect) and then go through a 20-30 second cool down cycle and would not relight until after the cool down cycle is over.   Then when we ran the water again for several seconds and turn the water off again, the heater would only be heating for the few seconds  and then off again.  Bottom line was we mostly had cool to cold water because the heater stay off for so long. 

Have either of you used your hot water in this manner to know if this is a issue with the Truma?  

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Yes the Truma is gas only.

For your second question I believe the answer is no it does not operate like the Girard, I know when we take a navy shower we turn the water off at the shower head and when we turn back on for the rinse there is just a quick shot of cold then turns right to hot. When doing dishes if we turn off the hot water off say to scrub some dishes then go to rinse we usually always have hot water right away, I hope this is the info you were looking for

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

On 4/4/2021 at 5:47 AM, dblr said:

Yes the Truma is gas only.

For your second question I believe the answer is no it does not operate like the Girard, I know when we take a navy shower we turn the water off at the shower head and when we turn back on for the rinse there is just a quick shot of cold then turns right to hot. When doing dishes if we turn off the hot water off say to scrub some dishes then go to rinse we usually always have hot water right away, I hope this is the info you were looking for

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX