Staffing agency/temp jobs on the road!?

Caleb4387

Hello all! My wife and I will be hitting the road in 5 to 6 years. We want to full time for about 2 years before settling somewhere in the Southeast. We have been getting familiar with all the usual workamping type of jobs but this will rarely be feasible as we will be collectively middle aged with a preteen boy so I will be primarily working while she is a stay at trailer mom. Since we will not yet have retirement income I will need to be working at least 40 hours per week for at least low double digit wage. We live simply and cheaply. Our truck and trailer will be paid off before we leave. My question is has anyone here ever just full timed while working temp jobs through staffing agencies? When do this i will have been in warehousing/logistics for 22 years with some supervisory expetience and have no problem doing low level physical labor jobs or hopping back on a forklift . my biggest concern i think would be the agencies allowing to me to this while not bring a resident of thier state although it shouldn't be too different from living in one state and working in another. Any thoughts, suggestions etc would be helpful. Thanks!

Check out Amazon. They have many fulfillment sites that use RVers for workers and even have camp grounds. Most jobs are seasonal but Amazon is operational year round and with your experience and background it may be a good fit. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Welcome to the Escapee forums. There are many who have earned a living while traveling by RV in a number of different ways. There have long been construction workers who move about the country from job to job and in fact, it was from this group that the Escapees RV Club came to be. A very common RV position today is the traveling nurse who lives in an RV and moves from location to location, working by contract through one of the agencies that find positions. There are also several types of seasonal work that pay very well for short periods. Some examples are the sugar beet & potato harvests which use a range of workers to drive trucks, man piling equipment and assorted labor positions. Also seasonal are pumpkin and Christmas tree lots, both of which have companies that seek RV folks to work them. There are many other possibilities and a good way to get a feel for what is out there would be to subscribe to the Workamper News which is probably the largest place that employers advertise. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Check out Amazon. They have many fulfillment sites that use RVers for workers and even have camp grounds. Most jobs are seasonal but Amazon is operational year round and with your experience and background it may be a good fit. 

8 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Welcome to the Escapee forums. There are many who have earned a living while traveling by RV in a number of different ways. There have long been construction workers who move about the country from job to job and in fact, it was from this group that the Escapees RV Club came to be. A very common RV position today is the traveling nurse who lives in an RV and moves from location to location, working by contract through one of the agencies that find positions. There are also several types of seasonal work that pay very well for short periods. Some examples are the sugar beet & potato harvests which use a range of workers to drive trucks, man piling equipment and assorted labor positions. Also seasonal are pumpkin and Christmas tree lots, both of which have companies that seek RV folks to work them. There are many other possibilities and a good way to get a feel for what is out there would be to subscribe to the Workamper News which is probably the largest place that employers advertise. 

Yes thank you both, I'm aware of these. Im more curious as to why I don't hear of full timers working traditional temp jobs through an agency like where you work a temp Ware house job or something. Im just wondering if there are problems with this idea that im not noticing

I don't do this, but I would ask, would it be a pain in the (tax)?  Depending on how often you moved for jobs/states, it might be a head-ache?  And some states will declare you a resident if you meet their time limits?  Just my 2 cents, good luck with it!

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

21 minutes ago, NDBirdman said:

I don't do this, but I would ask, would it be a pain in the (tax)?  Depending on how often you moved for jobs/states, it might be a head-ache?  And some states will declare you a resident if you meet their time limits?  Just my 2 cents, good luck with it!

I don't think you have to be a resident of a State to be liable for income tax in that State.  If you earn money in a State, it's my understanding that you have to deal with that State's income tax.  So, if you worked in ten different States, it could become a burden to keep up with and file the necessary forms.

I read an article once about how much trouble it was for professional athletes.  Of course, most of them can afford a good CPA to sort it all out.

1 hour ago, Caleb4387 said:

Im just wondering if there are problems with this idea that im not noticing

I suggest that the place to ask that question is the temp agency that you plan to use. I'm not aware of anyone doing that except for nurses and construction workers, as I mentioned before. That doesn't mean that it never happens, but I don't know of anyone using such a service. 

1 hour ago, durangodon said:

If you earn money in a State, it's my understanding that you have to deal with that State's income tax. 

You are correct that if you earn money in a state with an income tax you will need to file in each such state. The employers report to the state so they will expect that. I was required to file in states where I received a stipend for volunteering also. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Also be careful about working in one state long enough to be declared a resident of that state. Temp agencies I have worked for only knew about local jobs so would you have to take a chance on going somewhere and hoping they have openings when you get there? I think the Amazon suggestion might be your best bet with the hope that you can periodically move from one warehouse to another. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 9:08 PM, NDBirdman said:

I'm sure it will suck. But I would pay taxes on workamping jobs as well.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:31 AM, sandsys said:

Also be careful about working in one state long enough to be declared a resident of that state. Temp agencies I have worked for only knew about local jobs so would you have to take a chance on going somewhere and hoping they have openings when you get there? I think the Amazon suggestion might be your best bet with the hope that you can periodically move from one warehouse to another. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Linda

Correct. Local jobs are very plentiful thats the whole point. No desire to work for amazon but I do appreciate the suggestion

Temp agencies seem to work with employers rather than individuals.   I have seen jobs advertised on Indeed that have happened to be recruiting through an agency.   Use temporary as a search item.   I believe the Beet Harvests are done through a temp agency and I have worked as a contact tracer through a temp agency.   Cruise ships sometimes hire shore staff through temp agencies but not this year.   

Try this company, https://www.sasrlink.com/

They hire for temp stocking positions all over the US. One person we knew would boondock in the stores parking lot and work for a couple of days before moving to another city/location. As far as tax goes, if someone is complaining about paying taxes, it's hard to feel sorry for a person that must be making money! Paying taxes to support your country should be a good thing.

My wife and I have done very well with the sugarbeet harvest and christmas tree sales. In the last 6 years, those 2 yearly jobs have covered our expenses while volunteering so that we have a zero net drain on our nest egg.

Edited by gjhunter01