COE camps in Georgia

agesilaus

I have finally buckled down and started generating a map with COE cg, or rather a new layer on my Google Maps map. It involves using Recreation.gov which for this purpose works OK. I can't say works good---heh. But I was surprised to find that there are many more GA COE camps than I expected, 30 if my count is correct. I would have guessed 12 or 15. We've only camped at two so far. One is almost in Florida.

Anyway Texas next. It's unreasonably difficult to find a list of COE camps, you keep getting a suggestion to buy that book.

Edited by agesilaus

I don't know if this is better, but try this:

1. Go to campgroundreviews.com

2. On the map, click on Texas

3. On the "filter" bar click on "Park Types"

4. Pick CoE Campgrounds

You will get a map with CoE campgrounds, click on any of the markers for a review of that campground.  As you move the map around CoE's appear in whatever state you have centered.

Edited by GR "Scott" Cundiff

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Thanks for the try but I need GPS coordinates to place it on my map and I'm copying the features and such to the map too. I don't see that info on CGR.

Oddly so far Texas COE parks tend to be smaller, some only 14 campsites.

BTW here is the national COE map: USACE rec sites

They may not distinguish picnic areas from camp grounds tho.

Edited by agesilaus

i found the information online by going to the site camping with the corp. but when you find a campground that you like the only way to get current information is from rec.gov and reserve America for the states that do not use rec.gov like Colorado. Generally all the campgrounds use reservations for all or most campsites and parks.

Have you looked at these sites?

http://www.uscampgrounds.info/

https://www.rv-camping.org/

http://www.uscampgrounds.info/

There are others for public parks if you do a Google.

BTW:  The book is very helpful for giving particulars and directions.  It was always at our fingertips.  I guess because we didn't have internet or a GPS when we began full-timing we got used to paper maps/books and now I still love them over a computer.  A lot easier to use for us.  A computer map just gets too cluttered.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The Ultimate Campground Project gives the location and other information for thousands of public campgrounds including the COE campgrounds. You can download the data several times a year for a low fee. The USCAmpgrounds website includes COE parks and lets you download data by region. Both can be downloaded in a format readable in an XL spreadsheet and include GPS data.

You folks using recreation.gov - how do you drill down to COE campgrounds?  The old version recreation.gov had a filter for agency but on the "new" one I didn't find that filter and in fact it seemed they made it harder to even tell when you open a campground what  agency was running it.  

For example in Georgia type

Georgia Corp of Engineer

In the search box.  Then open more filters and select camping. That is about 90% effective in getting the list of COE campground but occasional day use areas can sneak into the list

Edited by agesilaus