Volvo Dinette?

tyates007

I am starting the winter projects in the truck and this year is revamping the sleeper. I don’t have a Volvo. Mine is a KW T2000. Up until now I have had a jacknife sofa that has sat on the lower bunk for my girls. They are now to tall to sit behind the cabinets and have any leg room so I am going to remove the bottom bunk completely. I have two options. I can build another sofa base or put in a dinette. The girls saw a dinette at the WCR and are pushing me that direction. There are three of them so I am a little outnumbered. I was curious if anyone that had a dinette could take some measurements for me. Just curious on depth and height really as width will be determined by my sleeper depth. I will probably just build the table on post similar to in a toyhauler garage that mount in floor. If anyone has any other ideas I am open. Appreciate any help. Thx Tom

Hey Tom, do you still have the heater/air con box on the passenger side? Build it to cover the box, then mirror for the driver's side.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

10 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Hey Tom, do you still have the heater/air con box on the passenger side? Build it to cover the box, then mirror for the driver's side.

I do still have all of that intact. That is a good point. This is the main reason I am looking at the dinette compared to just a sofa is the space the HVAC stuff takes up on the passenger side. 

3 hours ago, Parrformance said:

May want to use a table that has collapsible legs. 

The post design limits the usefulness of the table and takes up precious flat floor space.

I had not thought of that. Thank you. Table will be custom sized I suspect. I will check to see what my options are for fold down hardware and mounting. 

I looked at doing that but I'm not a big fan of having the kids sit sideways in the truck. I ripped the bed and cabinets all out of the truck . Built a new cabinet for the fridge, microwave and port a potty. Then installed the front seats out of early 2000s Chevy trucks.  Hey have integrated seat belts. I also raised them up 5 inches to make them comfortable for adults to sit. One seat overlaps the cabinet by a couple inches. Ironically that is the most popular seat.  The seats are not electric so they can be slid back and forth and reclined. There is an incredible amount of storage back there when you slide them all the way forward. I was going to put a table in here at some time but never got to it.

e78f80d7d09ba9bd80c88b0ef51fe0f9.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

So my Volvo 670 has a factory dinette table. It's a rather cool system that's easy to use. And I have seen others like in available in travel trailers. Instead of mounting to the floor with a post/tube, they have a mechanism that mounts to the wall and lowers down to the bed position.

The Volvo table mount is similar...but on steroids. Way better built.  It mounts to the back wall of the compartment below. One easy pull of the handle under the edge of the table and it lowers (level) down to make into the lower bunk. I understand that Volvo thinks highly of these systems and charge accordingly if you were to hit the dealer up for a turn-key solution. That being said, they might be found at a semi wrecking yard. They are quite literally 4 bolts to mount up.

Setting sideways for those rear passengers, can be weird for some. I would think it could enhance motion sickness, maybe. But I am not going to change the seating. Our grand kids will just have to deal with it. Adult passengers are not that frequent and typically riding to a eatery or attraction...so short trips.

Our biggest irritation with the sleeper area is the lack of windows. We have upper bunk windows, and only the tilt out vents at the table level. That will be fixed in the future. I'm going to put in lower windows and possibly a rear window.

So...your venture into interior mods is both fun and frustrating. It will work out for your needs. Just needs some noodling....and maybe beverages of choice.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

14 hours ago, trimster said:

Our biggest irritation with the sleeper area is the lack of windows. We have upper bunk windows, and only the tilt out vents at the table level. That will be fixed in the future. I'm going to put in lower windows and possibly a rear window.

So...your venture into interior mods is both fun and frustrating. It will work out for your needs. Just needs some noodling....and maybe beverages of choice.

There are others here who have added lower windows to their 670, with some documentation.  FYI.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Did you get your measurements?  We have that dinette, and we will be out there, (struggling with RVS cameras) today.  I can get measurements for you.

On 2/1/2021 at 8:53 AM, tyates007 said:

I had not thought of that. Thank you. Table will be custom sized I suspect. I will check to see what my options are for fold down hardware and mounting. 

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

On 2/7/2021 at 12:13 PM, tyates007 said:

I did not. Would appreciate anything you have. Thank you

I took some photos while my lovely assistant held a tape measure. Send me a pm with your email address and I will send the pics.  They are of the basic l-w-h dimensions of one seat w/o cushion, l-w of the table, and space between dinette seats. 

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

1 hour ago, Sculptor said:

I took some photos while my lovely assistant held a tape measure. Send me a pm with your email address and I will send the pics.  They are of the basic l-w-h dimensions of one seat w/o cushion, l-w of the table, and space between dinette seats. 

PM sent. Thank you very much for your help

• 1 year later...

Did you ever resolve your issue with your DRV with the sides breaking away from the studs? I just bought a 2018 40 foot Mobil Suites and I just found out I have the same problem. This was not a cheap 5th wheel and I have no idea where to go for this. I have contacted my dealer and the Manufacturer and still waiting on a response. I was told the same thing that they are not laminated walls but the body shop where I have it is saying the walls are coming off. Any info would be appreciated .

We got a quote to repair it and submitted to insurance and they totaled the rig due to water damage. We were never able to determine the source of the water but looked to be a washer leak prior to us owning the rig that was never disclosed and covered up pretty well. The delaminating continued to get worse until we just cut our losses and sold the rig fully disclosing the problems to the new owner. New owner was an rv tech that had the resources to tear it down and complete the repair. I think our quote on the repair was in the neighborhood of 35k. I was pretty said because as you said it was not a cheap rig and we very much figured it would be our last for a long time. 

I would recommend you call DRV and find the closest authorized repair center, different than service center, and take it to them for a full inspection. With it only being 4 years old there is a very good chance DRV will do something to make it right with repairs. They were very helpful with ours but it was old enough there was no obligation on their side to help our situation.