Oil change + replace battery, which comes first ?

Hello Everyone…

I have a 2003 Ford F-550 RV ( four winds hurricane 6.8L ) , I want to replace the chassis battery and do oil change , which one should I do first? Take into consideration the last oil change was nearly 3 years ago, ( the RV only been driven 3000 miles in 2018 and been in RV Park since then, I only drove it 100 miles or less in the last 2 years, total mileage is 31,000)  the RV was in storage for 8 months from March till November, I had to jump start it to drive it to the hookup spot. The battery is completely dead at this point.

I know that usually I should start the vehicle to warm it up then shut it off before an oil change, but in this case ( and if I replace  the battery first) is it a good idea to let that 3 years old oil run into the engine again???

Also a secondary question:  is it necessary to replace the oil filter too?

I appreciate any tips and suggestions

Thank you

Edited by Sir Traveller
added more information

A big channel lock pliers or even a screwdriver driven through the filter will get it loosened . 

The later is a bit more messy , but , effective . 

Some like this cup style 'wrench' :

6mHdHNg.jpg?1

I have a Ford V10 . I use and prefer the positive grip of this style :

7794800-21.jpg

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

If it'll run with a boost, then boost it. Get it up to temperature by driving it, the extra miles won't do anymore damage than the last 100. Change the filter at the same time. Don't forget the air filter. Once you're satisfied with how it runs, then spend a little more money for batteries. The house battery is probably in close to the same shape.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Read this, and google oil changes miles or time. I have been told every six months or six thousand miles. This article makes a case for at least once a year. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/for-oil-changes-which-matters-most-time-or-mileage/article12882693/

If it were me, I'd change the oil twice. First before it is even warmed up.change it and the filter - even  cold. Why? Because that would put some good oil/fresh additives in the engine before you bring it up to full pressure and operating temps.  Then drive it at operating temp under load and fir an hour or so. Check for leaks from the main seals and the other seals. If no leaks then change it hot and a second filter too.

YMMV.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Haven't changed the Oil in my Cummins since 2015 and every year the oil analysis says to run it another year and submit a new sample.  I am a firm believer in oil analysis as that is what we used in the Navy and our engines were ran a lot harder than any civilian diesel/gas engines.  In the 4 1/2 years I was on my last ship, we only changed the oil in one of the four diesels and never in the Gas Turbine engines and that ship was four years oil when I reported aboard.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

39 minutes ago, sundancer268 said:

on my last ship, we only changed the oil in one of the four diesels and never in the Gas Turbine engines and that ship was four years oil when I reported aboard.

Synthetic oil?

Oil analysis is a good thing for many reasons and I do the same for the transmission. In the case above the RV has sat for an extended period, so I would change it and the filter. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The Gas Turbines were synthetic, the Diesels were Mil-L-9250, conventional dino used by the military since I joined in the 70s.  My coach has set about 11 month a year and last year we again only put about 300 miles on it.  Oil quality has changed so much in the last 70 years that the old norms are no longer a fact.  My first car they recommended 1000 mile oil changes and SB rated Oil 30 weight in the summer and 10W weight in the winter, My 2019 Jeep requires SN rated oil semi synthetic, quite a difference, about 12 revisions in the Oil Specification since the 1955 Plymouth and the 2019 Jeep.

Edited by sundancer268

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite