Yellowstone September 20 - October 1?

brandman

Too late in season?  Staying 7 days in West Yellowstone, Montana then to Flagg Ranch for 4 days.  What would be the easiest route between these two points towing a 35' fifth wheel?

Thanks in advance.  This is my first trip out west and don't want to get myself in trouble in the mountains.

It may be me, but your post confuses me. The thread title states Sep.20 -Oct. 1. You posted this 2 hrs ago???

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, brandman said:

Too late in season?  Staying 7 days in West Yellowstone, Montana then to Flagg Ranch for 4 days.  What would be the easiest route between these two points towing a 35' fifth wheel?

Thanks in advance.  This is my first trip out west and don't want to get myself in trouble in the mountains.

We have visited Yellowstone in September a number of times. It is generally less crowded than during the summer, however; many of the campgrounds and facilities and services start to close after Labor Day. There can be temporary road closures for repairs and/or weather. I checked the park website and the dates for 2021 are not posted yet. 2020 was not a typical year, so I would not base decisions on it. 

As for travel from West Yellowstone to Flagg Ranch, the road through the park to the South entrance is usually good. There are ups and downs and at least one crossing of the Continental Divide (as I recall) but as mountain driving goes it is pretty tame. There are roads with steeper grades in the park. 

Edited by trailertraveler

12 hours ago, brandman said:

If you are speaking of travel in the dates you list in tmountaihe topic then the best route would be through the park. If you plan to go today, the park roads are not open so you must go south on US20 to ID32, then south on it into WY and US191 to go back north to Flagg Ranch. 

Yellowstone NP can get snow in September and often does but they also keep roads open early so the most you might need to wait is a day or two. Early snow usually happens but seldom lasts for long and when that happens it isn't just inside of the park. You should be fine. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

September 20 - Oct 1 is not too late for Yellowstone if the campground you want is open.  We've been there a few times during that timeframe with nice days and cold nights.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel