Wire gauge size for rear lights

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I was looking for what size wire gauge I need for the rear lights. I looked in the resource guide with no luck on finding wire size. I am working on adding some  LED lights ( running & turn signal ) to the rear of the truck. I need to build a small wiring hardness about 12 " long. It looks like the wire gauge size coming off the lights is 18 ga.. Is that correct ? It also looks like the stock wire size is 18 ga.. Using 18 ga. marine wire work for the small wire hardness ? I will be also using a Delphi Metri Pack 280 that can handle 5 wires for part of the hardness. 

Thanks for any help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

18 or 16 is fine. For "educational purposes", the smaller the number the bigger the wire, every two numbers the gauges change, next number down is 14, typical for lights in your home (15 Amps), next down is 12 (20 Amps), all you outlets in your home, next down 10 (30 Amps), your washer/dryer/stove typically wired as 220VAC instead of 110VAC.

10 gauge is also good in DC applications to run from your truck batteries to trailer batteries and for ground for "everything"

You indicated "marine grade" wire.  YES, absolutely!  Much of the wire available through economy outlets is aluminum with a copper outer coating.  That stuff is horrible.  It corrodes rapidly and spools from China that say perhaps 14 gauge are NOT necessarily America Wire Gauge.  China's 14 gauge generally works out to 18 AWG.  To everyone adding wiring to your truck, PLEASE use only marine grade stranded copper.  Marine grade will be "tinned" over the copper and the insulation has a higher UV and water protection jacket.  Definitely worth the extra price.  You will save money in the longer term by not having corrosion issues.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!