Use hitch bike rack on RV hitch?

amarie1

I have a great bike rack, hitch-mounted, but it's for my Honda's 1.25 hitch.

My RV has a 2" hitch. Folks have told me 'oh you just need a converter.

Okay, What exactly should I be looking for at the Auto store or UHaul or Home Depot? 

thanks

AM

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

5 hours ago, amarie1 said:

I have a great bike rack, hitch-mounted, but it's for my Honda's 1.25 hitch.

My RV has a 2" hitch. Folks have told me 'oh you just need a converter.

Okay, What exactly should I be looking for at the Auto store or UHaul or Home Depot? 

thanks

AM

Because of the G-forces at the back of an RV, I wouldn't trust any rack with a 1/25" tube. There are bike racks that are certified by the manufacturer for RV use. Swagman has several... this is the one we use:

Amazon link

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Oh. Dang. I'm going on a long trip (2200 miles), mostly interstate, leaving Wednesday, and spending a month at my destination. So ... just leave the bike at home? I don't have time to get that rack before I leave.

I've got this rack: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/

Just looked it up ... ARGH.

image.thumb.png.ab2bd51553c03fc4d66a485f806d17e3.png

Okay, that lets me cross off a bunch of stuff on my to-do list, then! LOL.  

AM

Edited by amarie1

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

3 minutes ago, amarie1 said:

Oh. Dang. I'm going on a long trip (2200 miles), mostly interstate, leaving Wednesday, and spending a month at my destination. So ... just leave the bike at home? I don't have time to get that rack before I leave.

I've got this rack: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/

still learning ... 

The rack itself weighs 23 lbs. and then you'll have the weight of the bike. That's a lot for a 1.2" tube (unless the the "tube" is solid). You might get by with it, but I would be nervous. If I recall, you're in a class C? Is there any way you could secure the bike inside the RV for the trip?

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

There are racks made that attach to the rear ladder, if you have a rear ladder... As I recall, the bike then hangs vertically, which would allow you to tie it to the ladder at several points, giving more security and peace of mind. A 1.5" hitch with adapter is certainly a weak point for that much leverage and weight. You can also use that type hitch mount, but then attach a strap from each outside corner to an attachment point on the camper, relieving much of the weight and strain on the hitch connection. etrailer.com is a good resource for bike mounts, etc. Jay

10 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

There are racks made that attach to the rear ladder, if you have a rear ladder... As I recall, the bike then hangs vertically, which would allow you to tie it to the ladder at several points, giving more security and peace of mind. A 1.5" hitch with adapter is certainly a weak point for that much leverage and weight. You can also use that type hitch mount, but then attach a strap from each outside corner to an attachment point on the camper, relieving much of the weight and strain on the hitch connection. etrailer.com is a good resource for bike mounts, etc. Jay

We have had two friends try to haul bikes on the ladder carriers.  In both cases, the ladder was pulled loose damaging the RV.  One of them lost his bike.  The ladders were not meant to carry that kind of dynamic loading.

I would try the adapter to the 2" receiver.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

41 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

We have had two friends try to haul bikes on the ladder carriers.  In both cases, the ladder was pulled loose damaging the RV.  One of them lost his bike.  The ladders were not meant to carry that kind of dynamic loading.

I would try the adapter to the 2" receiver.

Ken

Ouch!! I think I'll avoid that method! Jay