This heat wave and mini splits

We have 2,000 watts of solar and 6 golf cart batteries. We are in the Colorado high country so once the sun sets it cools quickly so batteries are not an issue.  The solar runs our 18 cu ft refrigerator, the mini split and misc microwave, coffee maker, TV and so on.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 12:44 PM, rpsinc said:

I have a Teton and my current plan is to mount the outdoor unit in the front storage area, put it on a platform with a corner swivel, so that when we get to the location, I can open the storage door, pivot the unit outside, close the door, and the hoses(yes I said hoses) will then run through the door with a cut out and slide similar to some that are in use for shore power cords, to close off as much access in that door as possible, mostly for critters prevention.

I have discovered that hoses are now available for these line sets.  I want to install a baseboard unit in the bedroom and in the rear.  The line set to the rear will run in conduit under the rig.  Likely I will use EMT to protect it from physical damage.  That EMT could also facilitate other things, cables, etc.

I will remove the roof ACs and may replace them with triple glazed fixed windows for light only.  Not finalized that part of the plan yet.  Even toying with the idea of wrapping that 14" square opening with some LED strip light and using the AC switch power to run it for some minimal light or perhaps "ambiance".

Hmmm My notifications got messed up I guess. I did not see these. RPsinc what is your source for these hoses. I like your idea.

Dave and Lana Hasper

59 minutes ago, Daveh said:

Hmmm My notifications got messed up I guess. I did not see these. RPsinc what is your source for these hoses. I like your idea.

I dont have a source directly but I have a friend that is an HVAC contractor and he is the one that told me about this.  They are readily available at the local(to us) supply houses for HVAC.  Not that I am not aware of their availability at places that are not contractor only supply houses.

Marcel

43 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

I dont have a source directly but I have a friend that is an HVAC contractor and he is the one that told me about this.  They are readily available at the local(to us) supply houses for HVAC.  Not that I am not aware of their availability at places that are not contractor only supply houses.

These hoses are used in places where bending the line sets would likely kink them.  I was thinking abour using hydraulic hoses but wasnt sure about the issues of incompatibility of the hose material and the refrigerant.  These are specific to the purpose and so a better option.

Marcel

Is your outside unit 110 or 220V? We were thinking about selling our current New Horizon and building a new longer one and Mini Splits were on our radar but the system they install is 220V so now I'm not so sure.

Part of the reason I'm not so sure is that the inverter they install will not do 220V so I would need to handle that after market because I would want to be able to use them while off grid. AND for those times we are hooked up to 30 amp I would still want to use them so it would need to be off batteries. 

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Mine are both. One of each. I would have rather had both 120v but no mini split cassette in that voltage. I will go with split phase inverters so should not be a problem for me. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 8/27/2020 at 4:30 AM, hdrider said:

Is your outside unit 110 or 220V? We were thinking about selling our current New Horizon and building a new longer one and Mini Splits were on our radar but the system they install is 220V so now I'm not so sure.

Part of the reason I'm not so sure is that the inverter they install will not do 220V so I would need to handle that after market because I would want to be able to use them while off grid. AND for those times we are hooked up to 30 amp I would still want to use them so it would need to be off batteries. 

Couldnt you install a dedicated inverter for your mini split that is 240VAC?  I am looking at this also and was thinking about putting a pigtail on the outside unit that would allow me to choose power options.  Inverter, genie, shore power.  Instead of using a transfer switch, I guess that is what I would become.  I like the option of making my own decision for this use instead of some management system doing it.  Kind of like driving an automatic in the HDT in auto when in the mountains.  

Marcel