This heat wave and mini splits

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mounted our interior unit on the face of the cabinets across the rear near the ceiling.  I removed the 2 center cabinet doors and moved the 2 other doors as far as possible to gain room.  The inside unit just fits between the remaining doors.  We didn't use these cabinets much.  I drilled through the rear cap and ran the line up through the shelf under the rear window.  Up the wall and into the cabinet.  The unit came with 15" of line which is way more than needed.  I looped the excess line around in the cabinet.  This puts the inside unit right above our heads as we have 2 recliners across the rear.  Still can't hear it run.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I was going to put mine there but we use that area for our dvds. And I didn't have the heart to ruin those cabinets. Mine ended up in kitchen are at very rear of kitchen above the cabinets. Dropped the lines in that crawl space and out by the tanks. Under to the back. so ours is not blowing air toward bedroom. Really believe that yours is in the best spot. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I was able to mount the inside support on the face of the cabinets but the screw holes are under where the doors would be if I put them back on.  If I removed the unit I would only have to cover the new screw holes for the hinges on the doors I moved.  I can still access the cabinet through these doors and  by reaching around behind the unit for the center portion.  The indoor unit covers the holes where the 2 doors were and the remaining doors cover right up to the unit so it looks pretty good.  There is only about 4" between the unit and the ceiling which is less than recommended but it seems to work just fine.  Since the cabinets are open behind the unit it may provide a little more breathing room.  We use the ceiling fan to assist moving the cooled air when needed.  When the sun goes down at this altitude the air cools quickly.  It drops about 25 to 30F in about 45 minutes.  This let's us shut off the AC and save the batteries whenever the sun goes down so we can watch TV and whatever.  It also leaves enough battery to power some heat in the cool morning's.  We don't have near the battery power you have but we get by.

Randy

I came really really close to using randy's location. Honestly I was still going back and forth until the day I began installation. My wife has a standup desk at the back of the fifth wheel and I decided that putting the IDU there would just be too cold for her. I ended up putting it above our entrance door and then running the line along the outside to our front generator space which locates the outdoor unit.

Dave and Lana Hasper

There were already airgaps toward the back of the compartment where the legs go through and for right now I am just leaving the front compartment door open all the time. Runs efficiently. For when we hit the road my primary plan is to install an approximately 20" x 20" inch aluminum register/grate into the front cabinet door that I can close to prevent airflow while moving. If I lose efficiency my additional plan is to  cut into the cabinet floor and possibly also adjacent to the grate/register on the cabinet  front  and installl duct or booster fans to enhance the airflow. If I need those I will need to figure out how I can trigger them coming on automatically with the fan of the outdoor unit. Some type of relay set up. I am hoping I don't need to get into that.

Dave and Lana Hasper

pics please. I'm thinking two cassettes in place of the roof top units. 18k unit to service both off a 240v inverter. Glenn, how are you doing the 240v for the cassettes? I will have to rewire my genset for 240v split phase to support. 

Thanks,

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

I just put a dual throw breaker in box. When I put inverters in they will be 240v also. I don't intend to use onboard generator. Most I know of use an autotransformer between generator and transfer box.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 7/10/2020 at 4:48 PM, Daveh said:

There were already airgaps toward the back of the compartment where the legs go through and for right now I am just leaving the front compartment door open all the time. Runs efficiently. For when we hit the road my primary plan is to install an approximately 20" x 20" inch aluminum register/grate into the front cabinet door that I can close to prevent airflow while moving. If I lose efficiency my additional plan is to  cut into the cabinet floor and possibly also adjacent to the grate/register on the cabinet  front  and installl duct or booster fans to enhance the airflow. If I need those I will need to figure out how I can trigger them coming on automatically with the fan of the outdoor unit. Some type of relay set up. I am hoping I don't need to get into that.

I have a Teton and my current plan is to mount the outdoor unit in the front storage area, put it on a platform with a corner swivel, so that when we get to the location, I can open the storage door, pivot the unit outside, close the door, and the hoses(yes I said hoses) will then run through the door with a cut out and slide similar to some that are in use for shore power cords, to close off as much access in that door as possible, mostly for critters prevention.

I have discovered that hoses are now available for these line sets.  I want to install a baseboard unit in the bedroom and in the rear.  The line set to the rear will run in conduit under the rig.  Likely I will use EMT to protect it from physical damage.  That EMT could also facilitate other things, cables, etc.

I will remove the roof ACs and may replace them with triple glazed fixed windows for light only.  Not finalized that part of the plan yet.  Even toying with the idea of wrapping that 14" square opening with some LED strip light and using the AC switch power to run it for some minimal light or perhaps "ambiance".

Marcel

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I just put a dual throw breaker in box. When I put inverters in they will be 240v also. I don't intend to use onboard generator. Most I know of use an autotransformer between generator and transfer box.

For generator, I'm mostly thinking of use when traveling and we parkinglot camp for the night, need to be able to run the AC. I also turn the ACs on about an hour or two before arriving to have it cool when we get there. No inverters now, so the genset keeps the fridge on and ACs occasionally. 

Good Teton group here. We saw a beautiful Teton/HDT rig in Montana last week that were boondocking on the Madison River. I have a pic somewhere I'll dig up. didn't get to speak with them. 

Your generator on board? Just a note, Magnum or Victron will put out 240v even on 120v service. Pulls other hot leg from battery. So a portable generator will work also. Magnum simplest. 

Edited by GlennWest

3 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Your generator on board? Just a note, Magnum or Victron will put out 240v even on 120v service. Pulls other hot leg from battery. So a portable generator will work also

my generator is on the truck. I have a tether from back of truck to the front of the trailer for power. 

Just an FYI, I don’t know that I would run a mini split while moving down the road.  No one really knows whether they can take the vibration while in operation.  As an example, New Horizons will not warranty their mini splits if they were used while in motion.

Most everyone says they work well enough to cool a hot rig in a fairly short amount of time, so I would probably just kick them on once you stop and wait the few minutes for things to cool down.

7 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

For generator, I'm mostly thinking of use when traveling and we parkinglot camp for the night, need to be able to run the AC. I also turn the ACs on about an hour or two before arriving to have it cool when we get there. No inverters now, so the genset keeps the fridge on and ACs occasionally. 

Good Teton group here. We saw a beautiful Teton/HDT rig in Montana last week that were boondocking on the Madison River. I have a pic somewhere I'll dig up. didn't get to speak with them. 

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Been running for 3 years on a class C. 

I have a hard time with that argument since ACs just vibrate 24/7 running all the time. That's all they do. :)

Edited by lockmup68

On 7/16/2020 at 4:55 PM, GlennWest said:

Well if generator 240v you good. If 120v need autotransformer. That will get your ,240v for ac

going to rewire genset for 240v. Onan guy says he can do it in 30 min. Used to work for Onan factory. Said the only difference is how it is wired up. We'll see. Will test it out fully. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Price of the 48VDC AC is higher from what I have seen but then need to add a xformer unless battery system is already 48VDC.

An AC mini split will need 240VAC so another piece of gear to supply power to it.

Am I on the right track?

There are some mini splits that use 120VAC.  We have a 12,000 btu 120VAC mini split.  We bought it for around $720 and love it.  We have been running it on solar this summer.  Efficient and very quiet.  It is running now and it has ramped down to hold the temp.  I am 3 maybe 4' from it and I can not hear it at all.

Randy

14 hours ago, Randyretired said:

There are some mini splits that use 120VAC.  We have a 12,000 btu 120VAC mini split.  We bought it for around $720 and love it.  We have been running it on solar this summer.  Efficient and very quiet.  It is running now and it has ramped down to hold the temp.  I am 3 maybe 4' from it and I can not hear it at all.

What brand and model do you have?  Looking for a 120V system.  Recently installed a 3ton system in our house and love it.  The comparison of dB levels compared to our FAU with the 15YO squirrel cage is amazing.  So I am convinced to install 1 in the Teton and free up the roof space for more panels(I have a couple of 250W Phonos and a TM 60A MPPT controller, a couple of Xandrex 458s and an older Magnum that I am considering to use to feed my 4 AGMs).  

Working on getting to a place that we can long term but with this pandemic, it has provided some opportunity to work on that project list that otherwise would be done much later in life.  So gathering some info here from those that have more experience and are willing to share it.

Thank you.

Marcel

6 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

What brand and model do you have?  Looking for a 120V system.  Recently installed a 3ton system in our house and love it.  The comparison of dB levels compared to our FAU with the 15YO squirrel cage is amazing.  So I am convinced to install 1 in the Teton and free up the roof space for more panels(I have a couple of 250W Phonos and a TM 60A MPPT controller, a couple of Xandrex 458s and an older Magnum that I am considering to use to feed my 4 AGMs).  

Working on getting to a place that we can long term but with this pandemic, it has provided some opportunity to work on that project list that otherwise would be done much later in life.  So gathering some info here from those that have more experience and are willing to share it.

Thank you.

We have a klimaire but there are a number of brands that sell the same unit made by Medea (sp).  These are sold under various brand names.  I believe Pioneer also sells this 120v unit.  I have only seen 120v mini splits with a wall mount so that may influence your decision.  Our 12,000 btu mini split keeps our Teton cool in temps into the lower 90's.  It may handle warmer temps but that is all we have had to deal with.  The maximum draw I have seen is 450 watts but when it ramps down to maintain the temp it draws less.  This cools better than ONE 15,000 BTU RV AC at about 1/4 of the power.

Randy