Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
aztex

Registering New RV

Recommended Posts

Hi,

In and buying new RV in AZ. Considering domicile move to Texas.

Buying new RV has AZ registration rolled into price and I won't get a refund.

Since I'm an AZ resident with AZ DL I'm sure they will want to register the RV in AZ and be a struggle to say I'm moving to Texas next week...

I suppose IF I had a TX address I could work it that way but taxes probably get flipped over as well....

Gosh it seems it could be a couple $1000 if I do this wrong.... Any suggestions on how to proceed?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Don't close the deal until you have 'moved'.  

Then be sure the dealer knows it will be registered out of state. Most states will then not require local taxes/registration. Even California recognizes out of state although you literally have to take delivery out of state for them. They hired a guy to deliver our new RV just across the border and the paperwork had to be notarized which the dealer also arranged.

Linda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Don't close the deal until you have 'moved'.  

Shoot....

I don't have that option. Too tangled a web what with insurance etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We bought a new car in AZ last January which we registered in Texas.  They did the title in AZ - a requirement of the AZ law, and we could retitle in Texas, but haven't yet.  We did get credit for the taxes paid in AZ, thought we paid more than what TX charges, that is just a fact of life.  Polk County makes it real easy to do, and the people in the Polk County office are easy to talk to and willing to help you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

We bought a new car in AZ last January which we registered in Texas.  They did the title in AZ - a requirement of the AZ law, and we could retitle in Texas, but haven't yet.  We did get credit for the taxes paid in AZ, thought we paid more than what TX charges, that is just a fact of life.  Polk County makes it real easy to do, and the people in the Polk County office are easy to talk to and willing to help you.

Yes I confirmed the taxes even out. I think if you paid 6% and new county is 6.1% you owe .1% I didn't know it works the other way though!

Registration is the bear! $1500 in AZ and no refund. I could physically move to Texas the next day and still have to pay Texas registration and zero credit as far as I can tell.

I think the way I heard it last year is the dealer has to actually cartage the RV to the state line. You can't buy and drive home to pay registration...Don't quote me; from memory...

With all the conflicting information I'm hearing I think a trip to Livingston the best approach and do it all in person.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, aztex said:

I think the way I heard it last year is the dealer has to actually cartage the RV to the state line. You can't buy and drive home to pay registration...Don't quote me; from memory...

We bought an RV in Minnesota in 2008 and registered it in South Dakota. We bought a car in Nevada in 2010 and registered it in South Dakota. We bought a van in Texas in 2011 and registered it in Minnesota. All three taking immediate delivery. It was only California that made us take delivery over the state line.

Linda

Edited by sandsys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, aztex said:

Yes I confirmed the taxes even out. I think if you paid 6% and new county is 6.1% you owe .1% I didn't know it works the other way though!

Texas charges a sales tax on automobile (and RV) purchases of 6.25% and they do give credit for tax paid to another state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to establish a TX domicle first. Get an address in TX, and a TX drivers license. It should only take a few days, you may have to go to Livingston in person, not sure. When I purchased my Class A in Phoenix I already had an Escapees So Dakota address. The dealer gave me a temporary AZ registration, good for 60 days. Don’t recall if there was a fee but if there was it was only a few dollars. They had to drive the rig to Needles CA where I took delivery. They drove me to Needles, and had a notary waiting. I called So Dakota and got the amount for sales tax and registration and mailed in a check with all the supporting documents. So Dakota mailed me back the plates to the camp ground I was staying at in AZ.  Same thing when I bought my Jeep in ID. The dealer in ID, however insisted that they mail the sales tax to So Dakota, but I did not have to cross State lines to take delivery, I just drove off the dealers lot, with my So Dakota plate from my vehicle I trader in, per So Dakota’s instructions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best to buy after you move to Texas as stated above. It is my understanding that AZ has high registration fees? My 2018 42 foot fiver is about $125 per year and 2019 F350 about $75 per year in Texas. Good luck and welcome to Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I domicile in TX but bought my TT in AZ.  I had to jump through some silly hoops to get it done, but I did buy in AZ and titled, registered and payed taxes in TX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an appropriate topic for me - I’m pretty sure I’m going to be buying a new trailer and truck and happened to go look at them in Nevada.  I haven’t yet talked to Texas (Livingston) about how to get get the title and registration done there instead of here in Nevada.  My original idea was to buy them in Texas when I returned there in the fall, but I think I want to move up the time schedule and replace them earlier rather than later.  It sounds like it will be easier in Nevada than in California (I had already talked to a dealer about their charges to deliver the trailer across the California line).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we bought a car in Nevada to tow they issued a permit for us to drive while waiting for the South Dakota registration. Then the dealer didn't send the paperwork as he said he would. We had to get another temporary while we straightened this out. But there was no problem per se with taking delivery in Nevada of the car bought in Nevada. I don't know if this works for RVs, too.

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

This is an appropriate topic for me - I’m pretty sure I’m going to be buying a new trailer and truck and happened to go look at them in Nevada.  I haven’t yet talked to Texas (Livingston) about how to get get the title and registration done there instead of here in Nevada.  My original idea was to buy them in Texas when I returned there in the fall, but I think I want to move up the time schedule and replace them earlier rather than later.  It sounds like it will be easier in Nevada than in California (I had already talked to a dealer about their charges to deliver the trailer across the California line).

If you do not have  your TX address, the first thing is to get that set up and move things to it. Once you have the address, it isn't all that difficult and the people in he Livingston office are always happy to help so give them a call before you buy as they can save you a lot of grief. A long time ago, we bought our new class A in Oklahoma and then titled and registered it in TX. The only thing that could have been a problem was the fact that we had to pay the sales tax at the time of registration in TX which means that we could not roll that tax into the financing but had to pay it at the time of registration. The reason was that OK waived their sales tax since it was registered and titled in TX. If we had paid sales tax where purchased then we would only have had to pay any excess that TX charged above what we paid in the state where purchased.

POLK COUNTY TAX OFFICE

(936) 327-6801 OFFICE   /    (936) 327-6885 FAX

HOURS: Monday - Friday - 8:00a.m - 4:30p.m

Edited by Kirk W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kirk W said:

If you do not have  your TX address, the first thing is to get that set up and move things to it. Once you have the address, it isn't all that difficult and the people in he Livingston office are always happy to help so give them a call before you buy as they can save you a lot of grief. A long time ago, we bought our new class A in Oklahoma and then titled and registered it in TX. The only thing that could have been a problem was the fact that we had to pay the sales tax at the time of registration in TX which means that we could not roll that tax into the financing but had to pay it at the time of registration. The reason was that OK waived their sales tax since it was registered and titled in TX. If we had paid sales tax where purchased then we would only have had to pay any excess that TX charged above what we paid in the state where purchased.

POLK COUNTY TAX OFFICE

(936) 327-6801 OFFICE   /    (936) 327-6885 FAX

HOURS: Monday - Friday - 8:00a.m - 4:30p.m

Thanks!

It seems a little daunting at the moment. While I am 90% sure I'd chose Texas domicile and may even move back there I have not decided 100% and any issues are probably flagged but too many such moves...I'd have to at least get to El Paso for a DL this week.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to have the address first and that doesn't happen overnight.   So if going with Escapees, give them a call and see how long it will take before you head for El Paso because you're going to need to get some things to prove identity = it is all on the Escapees website.and also on the DPS site at https://www.dps.texas.gov/driverlicense/movingtotexas.htm.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

DFW RV Roof

RVAir The cleanest air in RVing!

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

AGS Now Hiring

RV Pet Safety

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...