Why is Windows 10 a mess? Ex-Microsoft engineer blames the culture of 'made-men'

RV_

Windows 10 could be better if only Microsoft got rid of its layers of made-men, according to a former Microsoft distinguished engineer.

Excerpt:

"The same people unable, over the course of a decade, to craft a winning strategy for mobile were suddenly tasked with crafting a winning strategy for the desktop. The unsurprising result is that Windows continues its tradition of boring, buggy software and consistently fumbled updates."

Whittaker doesn't name any current execs here, but Microsoft's current Windows leadership can be seen in ZDNet's coverage of the Windows and Devices Group shakeup.   

He also notes there is "real talent" in the Windows team. However, their ideas are buried under "layers of made-men".

ZDNet has asked Microsoft for its comments on Whittaker's post and will update the story if it receives a response. "

Source with much more: https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-is-windows-10-a-mess-ex-microsoft-engineer-blames-the-culture-of-made-men/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid=

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

No problem bud! If they don't get their collective spit together fast I'm going to start using alternatives like Jack using all Google. Doable now. But I'd rather not.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I repurposed an old Dell laptop to give to a grandson. I removed Windows XP and installed Linux Mint, it worked great. The OS takes getting used to, but IMO it performed just as well as W 10, or better, without the endless updating that too often caused problems that were "corrected" in the next update.

I plan on doing the same with my present HP laptop, once I get used to Linux Mint I'll do the same with my desktop. I didn't find anything W 10 does that Linux Mint could not do, as it is designed to mimic W 10 in some areas, just more business-like IMO.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I run Linux Mint on one of my computers and it works well.  But it does update often, sometimes multiple times a week.  But these updates do not require a restart.  I also find that for me, I still have Windows software that I need to use, so I still run Windows 10.  Not all the Linux alternatives to Windows software work for everyone. 

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Guys,

I tried repurposing an old XP system with Mint, I even bought the CDs for Mint 18. Total failure sloooooooooooow. I found that modern Linux requires modern hardware. There's no system that will be update free unless it is offline/air gapped.

But I'm selling all my old equipment and cables etc that I foolishly moved with our stuff when I get back to Colorado this coming week. And all my redundant systems. Please email me at the rv at rvroadie dotcom after next week as I foolishly used my ISP email system and did not have to move. So I'll likely lose all my contacts, unless I can figure a better way than csv BS. They won't forward and with no local address won't keep my account active for a month. Gotta pack and clean so out of time. I'll have a day and a half to see what I can figure out before the first. I'll post the learning curve later.

Jack! I should have listened and gone Gmail a long time ago.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

20 hours ago, RV_ said:

Guys,

I tried repurposing an old XP system with Mint, I even bought the CDs for Mint 18. Total failure sloooooooooooow. I found that modern Linux requires modern hardware.

RV,

As you know, I am a big fan of Linux.  I also use Windows for the few things Linux does not support.  I have lots of experience moving old computers to Linux.   There are a number of distributions that are specifically designed to run on older hardware.  Mint is one of my favorites but it's default Cinnamon desktop can be demanding.  Their Mate or Xfce desktops are less so.  If these desktops still do not perform satisfactorily, other distributions are even leaner.  I just installed antiX on an old XP machine  (built in 2007) with a single core Athlon XP-M CPU (2.1 GHz) and 512 MB ram.  It is running just fine and not taking up space in a landfill.

Just because you tried ONE version of Linux and was not satisfied with the result, don't dismiss Linux entirely. 

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

No Roger, I know that. But Cinnamon kicked that Dell XP system's ass! I am merely crossing off modern OS' of any flavor with old computers. I really like being spoon fed my systems these days. And I know I can get really easy Linux too. Heck I ran Linux on a Raspberry!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998