Need insurance - Alberta Canada

Brass

Hi Everyone,

I need some help. I purchased a truck from the US and need to get it home to begin the conversion but have hit brick walls trying to get insurance coverage.

I have tried:

RV Direct - won't insure until it is registered in home province

Coop - won't insure as RV until converted - but will insure as commercial for $6000 (must be paid in full up front with a substantial cancellation fee)

Progressive - won't cover unless I move my home and auto to them

Most others I have tried just won't cover it.

Does anyone have a lead they can send me, I fly out next Wednesday to pick it up.

Running a commercial policy through Hub International. Lots of disclaimers regarding load values, personal vs. commercial loads, miles per year, miles in US, etc. Took a lot of back and forth, but we're well under the commercial quote you got. We're registered as private truck, in Alberta. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

42 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Running a commercial policy through Hub International. Lots of disclaimers regarding load values, personal vs. commercial loads, miles per year, miles in US, etc. Took a lot of back and forth, but we're well under the commercial quote you got. We're registered as private truck, in Alberta. 

Thanks, I will call their Calgary office tomorrow morning.

Try calling Brokerlink in Calgary at 403.278.8811 ask for Susan. When we first got our Class 8 motorhome conversion we were having problems finding coverage (either affordable or at all) and she knew exactly what we had going on and was able to have us affordable, short term coverage to get our unit home while she setup our permanent coverage.They work with many insurance companies and can probably set you up.

As an aside you may want to consider having the commercial fifth wheel hitch and trailer airlines/power cord removed before pickup as this may be enough to take you out of the "commercial" world and make it a "personal" vehicle.

Mike Aitkin at Palmer Salmond in Calgary may be able to help.  I had some of my insurance with them..  They are on 4th NW or Center st.

If the truck is coming from a firm like RDO, they will provide a sticker in your window good for a month I think for transit.

Whatever you do make no modifications to it before getting it inspected by Provincial inspection and then Federal after that.  Then and only then make modifications.

If you go to the license office next to Palmer S, get it licensed or registered as a 'truck'.

I also had the commercial hitch removed and slapped on'  Private RV, not for hire on the side...more for my own benefit than the scale police.

Your tires will have to be at least 50% for them to pass.  So if you are purchasing commercially try getting new tires at their cost.

Edited by rdickinson
update info

Thanks everyone, 

I did reach out to Gregg, and he did turn up a lead however that didn't pan out since I'm not an existing client with that company and the vehicle hasn't yet been converted. So no joy there at all.

Other agents and brokers so far haven't been able to pull together anything helpful. At this point the lowest quote is $5300. This despite my 20+ years accident/claim free record and 35 years driving history. On the phone, the agents always try to be helpful but it's clear their eyes are glazing over when you say Volvo VNL670.

I was  waiting for a few call backs but it seems most are grouping me into facility coverage which is $$$$ since they take the policies no one else will write. 

*** Update***

And then Finally ....

A call to Center Street Insurance, Hanna Alberta branch location (403) 857-8830. I spoke with Tia there who actually knew what an RV hauler was, answered my call. She knew that the truck isn't commercial and more importantly, knew to push it to the policy holder (SGI Canada) as a private vehicle for use as an RV.  

I would like to send a huge THANK YOU to rdickinson for helping me out with finding someone to sign a policy. He went way out above and beyond including making calls and reaching out to insurance companies for me. Thank you so much for your assistance. I owe you a few cold ones!

Honorable mention goes out to James at Bow Valley Ins (403) 297-9414. He again understood the principals and went to the policy writers to try to get the best fit. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to get back to me in time to be able to work things out. 

If you are searching for insurance in Alberta, give both of these companies a call. They are agents that are willing to listen and work to earn your business.  

Edited by Brass
contact name correction

Another agent just got back to me, better late than never, and says that they would have written the policy so I'll toss his name into this post as well.

Thanks to Darryl&Rita for this lead.

Hub International, and specifically Jarod there (403) 777-9240. It took them a few days to get back to me but did say they would write the policy. In my case it did help that Darry&Rita were on file for them to reference how to write the policy.

A big thank you to everyone that help me get this sorted out. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate your efforts.

Hi Brass - I’m late too. I have a SGI Canada policy as a private truck. If I want I can remove liability portion  and premium $ if the truck is in storage. (I have a won ton and truck camper rig) Re-activate with an email to my broker. If I need cover for non rv personal property loads same policy. I have to advise what it is, rented trailer or owned, value of the load etc. If I hauled personal non rv loads frequently (boat, enclosed trailer full of I can’t say) that would get noted on the policy.  If I wanted to re register for commercial hauling and do that same policy. Different premiums would apply for revenue generating commercial hauling of course.

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.