Security

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I'd split the requirements into two devices.  I put in a motion light like this one:  https://www.amazon.com/MOTION-GUARD-MG1000-450W-Exterior-Motion-Security/dp/B07D8LTJQ1/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=motion+rv+light&qid=1557464125&s=gateway&sr=8-11

And I also have a Blink XT camera (battery powered) above the front door.  It has free recordings, and connects to wifi and can be viewed on my phone.

I certainly agree that most RVs have very poor lighting at the entry door. I replaced ours with one very similar to those recommended by dartmouth, but didn't get the motion sensor one. What I'd really like to see them make is a version of them that has a day/night sensor to turn them on at dark. The LED porch lights are a big improvement over the OEM. I guess I haven't worried much about security.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

security when home? or away?

most crooks will leave a home (on wheels or stick and brick) alone if there are dogs there.

but yes on any better quality (optics) video recorder, then you know if you are being checked out.

never thought about the "day/night" units, but i am planing on installing some weight sensitive  led lights on the folding steps. and movement sensors under the awning.

as i like it to be dark when i am asleep or just sitting outside watching the night sky.

4 hours ago, packnrat said:

security when home? or away?

most crooks will leave a home (on wheels or stick and brick) alone if there are dogs there.

but yes on any better quality (optics) video recorder, then you know if you are being checked out.

never thought about the "day/night" units, but i am planing on installing some weight sensitive  led lights on the folding steps. and movement sensors under the awning.

as i like it to be dark when i am asleep or just sitting outside watching the night sky.

When away. I could try and teach my cat how to bark, but he is already 12 years old.  So I doubt he will be able to Learn that. I know I can update the light.  It is a shame that  Ring or another company has not come out with a product.  Maybe I will design one and become a MILLIONAIRE. If the thief has cased your house, having an outside light turn on is not going to stop them if they know you are out of town.  Why The light with a camera. Would need to be WiFi enabled to it could record to the cloud or send you alerts when movement is sensed.

Edited by rynosback

A couple months ago I was in a Dollar General (Florida) buying some paper products.   Wondering up through the isle with all the misc stuff I spotted a black square LED light.  It measured about 2"x3", was battery operated, and a motion detector.  The price as $5.00 so I bought two of them.

I used heavy duty Velcro and put one above the side door and one above the rear door of my enclosed car hauler.  For a couple weeks I watched them and tested them and they worked great.  They were very easy to remove when we were traveling and of course easily re-attached when setting up camp.  I went to another Dollar General, I believe it was in Alabama, and purchased 4 more and added them to the mix.  Now if anyone walks within 10 feet of my trailer they start coming on.

We were in a Camping World recently and they had the exact same square black ones for $11.95, go figure. 

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On 5/10/2019 at 12:56 AM, dartmouth01 said:

I'd split the requirements into two devices.  I put in a motion light like this one:  https://www.amazon.com/MOTION-GUARD-MG1000-450W-Exterior-Motion-Security/dp/B07D8LTJQ1/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=motion+rv+light&qid=1557464125&s=gateway&sr=8-11

And I also have a Blink XT camera (battery powered) above the front door.  It has free recordings, and connects to wifi and can be viewed on my phone.

My Blink XT2 camera system arrives on June 5th. Quite an upgrade from the XT.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I tried out one of the camera/light combos about a year ago.  Didn't like it at all.  I'd recommend against them.  Granted, I only tried one, and the others may be different, but I found that the light coming from it created some "fuzz" in the image and weird contrast.  I'm happier having just an all-around light near the door, and a separate camera.  We also have a wifi doorbell that gets video from a different angle.

If we're gone and a thief wants in, I'd expect they would go into the yard and break in from there, not in front.

4 hours ago, Carlos said:

I tried out one of the camera/light combos about a year ago.  Didn't like it at all.  I'd recommend against them.  Granted, I only tried one, and the others may be different, but I found that the light coming from it created some "fuzz" in the image and weird contrast.  I'm happier having just an all-around light near the door, and a separate camera.  We also have a wifi doorbell that gets video from a different angle.

If we're gone and a thief wants in, I'd expect they would go into the yard and break in from there, not in front.

Only one door to the rig. And yes, if a thief wants something they will get it.

I would think that that a house version would not work as there is not a straight walkway to the door.  As you need to take 4 steps up to the door.

Edited by rynosback

a stick n brick. just put up some cams. auto on lights, and a visible alarm box.

and grow plants that will stick you, (like roses, cactus, etc) under windows. go triple pane glass, and a 1/2-3/4  pvc pipe cut to fit to keep windows closed.

do not keep anything in the yard a crook can use to smash a window. a smash and grab can be turned away with this approach.  but if one knows what is inside and wants it. only a on-site armed guard is going to mostly work.

as to the rv. lights and cams are best. as well as anti smash glass coatings. but the doors, and locks are so cheap.

48 minutes ago, packnrat said:

a stick n brick. just put up some cams. auto on lights, and a visible alarm box.

and grow plants that will stick you, (like roses, cactus, etc) under windows. go triple pane glass, and a 1/2-3/4  pvc pipe cut to fit to keep windows closed.

do not keep anything in the yard a crook can use to smash a window. a smash and grab can be turned away with this approach.  but if one knows what is inside and wants it. only a on-site armed guard is going to mostly work.

as to the rv. lights and cams are best. as well as anti smash glass coatings. but the doors, and locks are so cheap.

Yes, but I have been asking about RV security not one for a stick and bricks home.  

How do you define "security?"  I'm not being a smartass, it's an honest question because I find people mean different things.  We can assume you won't be watching the cameras 24x7, so...do you expect them to give you motion alerts so you can respond?  Or do you just want recordings of what DID happen when someone broke in?  Will you always have wifi or an existing cellular to wifi hotspot in place for the camera to connect to?

sad but not much can be done for a rv.

install auto on lights.

wired and recorded cams. with a computer sending alerts to your phone. (at the least you can see who is attacking you).

walls are very thin and can be breached with hand tools. doors are.. well can you say, fail.

but install the anti smash plastic covering to all glass. (co$t$  lot$ of ca$h). rebuild the door and door frame? at what co$t?

leave nothing of value laying around outside. if must be outside, use only a 3/4 in dia hardened chain  

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/a8048/can-you-buy-a-bolt-cutter-proof-chain-11416068/

and a $200.usd high security lock.

https://securitysnobs.com/Choosing-A-Brand.html

any padlock at a hardware store is easy to breach. even i can pick them.

as to anti tow not possible. unless you embed the rv in concrete.

think in layers for any security. as in how much effort does the creep need/want to get in.

best is leave nothing of value in the rv. except behind a fake wall, and 3/8 reinforced steel plate.(see locks above)  those walmart safes are at times easier to break into, then using the key or combo.

3 hours ago, Carlos said:

How do you define "security?"  I'm not being a smartass, it's an honest question because I find people mean different things.  We can assume you won't be watching the cameras 24x7, so...do you expect them to give you motion alerts so you can respond?  Or do you just want recordings of what DID happen when someone broke in?  Will you always have wifi or an existing cellular to wifi hotspot in place for the camera to connect to?

Lighting is important, but a camera/s are really important. Ones that I can watch live or record to a cloud when movement is detected. Yes I plan on leaving a hot spot plugged in so it will always be connected to WiFi and could function properly.

2 hours ago, packnrat said:

sad but not much can be done for a rv.

install auto on lights.

wired and recorded cams. with a computer sending alerts to your phone. (at the least you can see who is attacking you).

walls are very thin and can be breached with hand tools. doors are.. well can you say, fail.

but install the anti smash plastic covering to all glass. (co$t$  lot$ of ca$h). rebuild the door and door frame? at what co$t?

leave nothing of value laying around outside. if must be outside, use only a 3/4 in dia hardened chain  

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/a8048/can-you-buy-a-bolt-cutter-proof-chain-11416068/

and a $200.usd high security lock.

https://securitysnobs.com/Choosing-A-Brand.html

any padlock at a hardware store is easy to breach. even i can pick them.

as to anti tow not possible. unless you embed the rv in concrete.

think in layers for any security. as in how much effort does the creep need/want to get in.

best is leave nothing of value in the rv. except behind a fake wall, and 3/8 reinforced steel plate.(see locks above)  those walmart safes are at times easier to break into, then using the key or combo.

Locks keep honest people honest. Obviously if someone want to get in, they will. This is also why I have full timers and full coverage insurance. Hope never to use it. But if I need it I have it. Then having video proof of it and a chance of finding the MF that broken in helps.

34 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Lighting is important, but a camera/s are really important. Ones that I can watch live or record to a cloud when movement is detected. Yes I plan on leaving a hot spot plugged in so it will always be connected to WiFi and could function properly.

Then I'd recommend a generic outdoor wifi camera, and a separate motion light.  At night, the camera's built-in IR will light the criminal from that angle, and the light from another angle.  I find that highly effective for my front door.  Something like this would also fit on an RV very well:

https://www.foscam.com/us/cameras/outdoor/foscam-fi9851p-720p-hd-wifi-indoor-ip-camera.html

That brand is always good.  I have some, and several of my neighbors do too.  It takes a normal 12v input so you can run it straight off RV battery power.