bgk200127

GraceSavedMe

My wife and I are considering retiring soon and hitting the road in a RV. I read yesterday that there are over 2500 new choices on the market this year. That almost seems overwhelming. We have a very good idea of what we want concerning, size, price range and some specific items but there has to be an easier way to search than going through so many units. Does anyone know of a search where you can just check off must have items and it brings up a list of units that meet that criteria?

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure of exactly what you are asking but here are a couple lists that shows what corporations owns/makes what brands.  I'm leaning heavily towards the first company as the second I keep hearing a lot of bad stuff such as quality.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/our-brands

https://www.thorindustries.com/brands

I have personally not seen a site to choose what you want and bring only those up.  I have noticed, both companies, the lower end units are, well, low end in quality big time.  We narrowed down our search then traveled to a couple stealerships to see them in person and walked away shaking my head.  One in particular, on sale for 90k, fully expected good quality, set up just the way we wanted until I started looking at fit/finish.  There are a few more which someone else can mention with their personal experiences.

Another one I want to look at is Grand Design, they seem to be pretty good so far.

My best suggestion, narrow it down to what you want, visit a show or stealership and nit pick!  You said ya'll are going to hit the road.  Are you talking full-time with no stick n brick, weekend warrior, couple months at a time or just snow-birding like we plan on doing starting this fall.  How soon do you plan on hitting the road?  Good luck and again, welcome to the forum!

edit:  When you get close to picking out your RV, go to a forum about that manufacturer and read what others say.  There are some eye-opening comments from folks that have used/lived in some RVs and others that has nothing but good comments.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

If you are new to the RV experience, I suggest that you consider joining the RV Consumer Group and take advantage of the information supplied to their members. RVs are available in a very wide range of prices and quality. The best quality RVs will cost far more than the cheapest ones and they will also weigh much more. If you have in mind one of the towable RVs then you need to match the RV weight to the capabilities of the vehicle that you plan to tow with. If you are thinking of a motorized RV you need to consider the amount of weight you wish to carry with you as well as the space you want and the size of  RV. In both cases, the budget must also play a major part. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 4 weeks later...

I have a toy hauler we bought used 4 yrs ago and it's falling apart faster than I can fix it.  That being said we started looking at newer THs.  We found that grand design appears to be a winner for us but then we stated looking at TTs......gee there are so many.  Again we found a a TT made by grand design.  We were impressed with the quality and construction.  Another thing that impressed us was that there was no hard pressure to buy anything and the dealership has been around for a long time and they're the only dealership in North Carolina that offers a life time warranty along with the 3 year limited that comes with the grand design...... needless to say ...we pick up our new grand design on this coming Thursday.  Oh yeah...we decided to keep our toy hauler and fix it up and continue to do long trips across the states using our Volvo road tractor.  The ole Ford f350 will be assigned to pulling the new TT to local city and state parks.  Best of luck with finding the right RV for yourselves.

Cheers

Ben...chief916

I would first determine what type of rig that you want. Travel trailer, 5th wheel, class B, class A, class C, pop-up or even a hybrid.  You said that you know about the length that you want.  I think the important, biggest selling point is the lay out of the rig.  One does not fit all, so it is really your preference.  If you are not sure about a lot of the above, I would suggest that you go to an RV show to check out a lot of varieties. Plus you will see the latest and greatest in the shows.  Best of luck.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

6 hours ago, rynosback said:

I would first determine what type of rig that you want. Travel trailer, 5th wheel, class B, class A, class C, pop-up or even a hybrid.  You said that you know about the length that you want.  I think the important, biggest selling point is the lay out of the rig.  One does not fit all, so it is really your preference.  If you are not sure about a lot of the above, I would suggest that you go to an RV show to check out a lot of varieties. Plus you will see the latest and greatest in the shows.  Best of luck.

X-2

• 2 weeks later...