I-10 out of Florida.

RamblinRec

A couple years ago, I did a Miami to Denver run.... I-10 westbound out of Florida was just horrible...washboard ...a bouncing rollercoaster ride...

and not something I want to put my 5th suspension through if I can avoid it...

Any recent reports of how it actually might be now ?

We have ran I-10 Florida to New Orleans a couple times in the past 2 years and it must have been repaved or something because I didn't notice any issues.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

1 hour ago, FL-JOE said:

We have ran I-10 Florida to New Orleans a couple times in the past 2 years and it must have been repaved or something because I didn't notice any issues.  

Same here over the past 2 years. I even ran that back in Dec and no issues. There are a couple sections they are working on, but otherwise it wasn't anything crazy. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

On 3/1/2019 at 8:36 PM, RamblinRec said:

A couple years ago, I did a Miami to Denver run.... I-10 westbound out of Florida was just horrible...washboard ...a bouncing rollercoaster ride...

You sure it was in Fla?  I've taken my 5er out that way several times over the past 7 yrs and never had a problem until Weezy Anna.

I-10 road conditions are very subjective and RV suspension sensitive.  What some folks say is absolutely horrible other say is just a little rough in 10 and 20 miles sections.  

That goes for lots of roads.  We have driven I-10 though Louisiana and have noted 2-3 sections of 10-20 mile of bumpy road that we felt were no worse than we have found on lots of other interstate highways, only to read reports a couple of months later that others felt I-10 was the worst possible road, implying it was 200-400 miles of misery. 

I second Barb's suggestion:  

At Mobile head north to pick up I-20 across to DFW then taken pick up 287 north Fort Worth and head to Denver.

That is a much more direct route with all good road.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, RamblinRec said:

Is there an alternate other than I-10 from Lake City and I-75 west....if not I have no choice but to take 10 in order to get to Mobile...or am I missing something ?

It has been a while since we were that way, but I-10 was ok in Florida.  It is in Louisiana that there are sections that shake you to death.   Much like parts of I-5 between the Grapevine and Sacramento.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

23 hours ago, RamblinRec said:

Is there an alternate other than I-10 from Lake City and I-75 west....if not I have no choice but to take 10 in order to get to Mobile...or am I missing something ?

If you haven't already looked at the high level view of the interstates on Google Maps or Bing Maps, you really should.  

The ONLY easy and quick route is to take I-10 (I-12 through part of LA) to Lafayette then I-49 to I-20 and then the route Barb gave and I seconded.   I-49 angles NW from Lafayette to Shreveport & I-20.  All the north/south interstates along I-10 (i.e. I-59 &i-55) either go due north or even angle back to the east.  

If you have lots of time and want to tour the communities and sights on the many 2 and 4 lane highways through Alabama, LA & TX there are lots of alternate routes. Just plan on around 300 miles a day for full days drive.  

I really recommend you just accept the fact that there are sections of interstates with some rough sections.  Keep in mind lots of cars, trucks, RV's and what not travel I-10.  By lots I am talking about 10,000 to perhaps 40,000 vehicles a day travel this stretch of interstate every day.  Will some sections rattle your RV, yeah probably, but that is life.  You will run into that where every you go. 

In the end we all have to make our OWN decisions on what makes sense to us.  

For me, I-10 is an interstate traveled by lots of vehicles every day.  How far out of the way do I want to go to avoid a few sections of rough road that thousands upon thousands of vehicles travel on every day.  If I do go up to I-20 as quickly as possible, am I well assured that I won't find any rough sections?  The last time I came across I-20 in 2010 there were some bumpy sections.  Have they been fixed, have others developed?

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Oh I agree,,,life on the road can't be smooth all the time...as we ALL know all too well...

All great advice and thats what I was looking for...just a little insight from someone who has been there ....ya know

Well I am, as of today,,, finally ....rolling...slowly...currently in a WMA for a few nights...

On 3/1/2019 at 7:36 PM, RamblinRec said:

and not something I want to put my 5th suspension through if I can avoid it...

Any recent reports of how it actually might be now ?

After writing my above reply a few minutes ago, I reread your original posting.  

About I-10 in Florida.  The washboard? Is that the sections of concrete road with dividers every so many feet, something like every 20-50 feet?  I remember in 1985 coming across I-10 hitting those bumps.  It was a constant thump, thump very irritating. 

One thing that happens with a tow vehicle and trailer is small rises and drops in the concrete sections can cause an oscillation between the trailer and tow vehicle.  I depends on your speed.  If the little dips are timed just right, at the exact right speed, the trailer can be on the down swing just as the front of the tow vehicle goes up (and the rear is heading down) and then visa versa.  Really gets into a nasty oscillation.  Changing your speed solves this kind of problem. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

2 minutes ago, RamblinRec said:

Oh I agree,,,life on the road can't be smooth all the time...as we ALL know all too well...

All great advice and thats what I was looking for...just a little insight from someone who has been there ....ya know

Well I am, as of today,,, finally ....rolling...slowly...currently in a WMA for a few nights...

WMA?  That is something I don't remember seeing before.  

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Wildlife Management Area.... open camping on the weekends for some...others offer pay sites.  this park is 12.00 a night....

All very wooded...nice sites..water/30amp.....no sewer...thats how they keep a turnover flowing...well that and a 6 month max stay.

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm familiar with Wildlife Management Areas.  Caught me off guard with a topic about travel along the interstates and then camping in more remote/unusual areas such as WMA's popped up.   Nice that the WMA has electric and water campsites.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Howard Medard 

Hillsborough County

huge park,,,very nicely..maintained oh and I hear the fishing on the 700+ acre lake is good.

another very nice one is Lithia Park...same general park...but with a Fresh warm water natural spring for swimming.. 

37 minutes ago, Al F said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm familiar with Wildlife Management Areas.  Caught me off guard with a topic about travel along the interstates and then camping in more remote/unusual areas such as WMA's popped up.   Nice that the WMA has electric and water campsites.

It may be a matter of semantics, but I usually think of Wildlife Management Areas as properties managed by state Fish and Game Agencies. They are usually pretty primitive and primarily established for hunting and fishing, Florida does have a number of Wildlife Management Areas that allow camping, but I am not aware of any that have utility connections for RVs. The Edward Medard Conservation Park appears from the website to be a Hillsborough County Park  as does Lithia Springs Conservation Park.

As for a route from Mobile to Denver, if you have the time, I would suggest taking US-98 to Natchez then the Great River Road, US-61, North to Memphis then I-55 to the St; Louis area where you can take US-50, US-36 or I-70 West to Denver. Lots to see and do along this route.

11 hours ago, RamblinRec said:

Howard Medard 

Hillsborough County

huge park,,,very nicely..maintained oh and I hear the fishing on the 700+ acre lake is good.

another very nice one is Lithia Park...same general park...but with a Fresh warm water natural spring for swimming.. 

Sounds nice.  https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en/locations/edward-medard-conservation-park

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

"The last time I came across I-20 in 2010 there were some bumpy sections.  Have they been fixed, have others developed?"

There are rough sections in both Mississippi and Louisiana on I-20.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Water Management.....Wildlife Management....Hey its all good and we are lucky to have them still...

My favorite in SW Florida is Cecil B. Webb....it is a WMA.. free dry camping on the weekends and from

Oct - Feb...hunting season..  76,000 acres...its a very diverse and special place 

I did some volunteering there doing spotlight deer shining from a huge swampbuggy and recording migration patterns..

Oh ,  is there a section where we can share pics of some of our stops ?

57 minutes ago, RamblinRec said:

Water Management.....Wildlife Management....Hey its all good and we are lucky to have them still...

This is getting off the original topic, but for those not familiar with them, here are a couple of links: Florida Water Management Districts, Florida Wildlife Management Areas. Each area has its own rules and restrictions so some research and reading is required.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made half that trip. I-10 and 20 will beat you like a drum. We opted for the backroads. Slower? Yes, Less traffic? Yes Better roads? Yes. Yes the backroads take more time but I have found that in the South Eastern US the Interstates are terrible. The worst roads In America are found in Louisiana.

Are we lost? No honey we're directionally challenged.

Ramblin rec,

Just go to this website, http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1 drag your pics one at a time onto the square, then copy the link. Paste it in your post and it shows like this:

oOCPB9Pl.jpg

Vq8rkLOl.jpg

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived