Trailer Caulking

SuiteSuccess

DRV using Geocell 2300, RVs for Less using Geocell Proflex RV.  What are you using?  I tried Lexel but finding it hard to use but it does stick.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

7 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I used Lexel... it is a pain to work with though.  On FB, there is a guy using 3M 4000 in black that works well.  Look for the DRV DOG page.

Jim,

I saw that.  Have you worked with that before in the marine industry?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

47 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Jim,

I saw that.  Have you worked with that before in the marine industry?

The 3M-4000 wasn't available yet.  But the original 3M-5200 slow cure and 4200 (red tube) fast cure were used on everything.  We bedded all of the hardware, portholes, everything with it and never had leaks below or above waterline.  It's not cheap, but I will change over to it as needed.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

On 3/2/2019 at 9:55 AM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I used Lexel... it is a pain to work with though.  On FB, there is a guy using 3M 4000 in black that works well.  Look for the DRV DOG page.

I just bought a couple of tubes of Lexel that I was going to try. What were the difficulties that you had with it? Any tips?

10 minutes ago, DonCoyote said:

I just bought a couple of tubes of Lexel that I was going to try. What were the difficulties that you had with it? Any tips?

Use it on a cool surface, with a warm tube.  If the product is warm it flows better, but if it and the surface are warm- or in direct sunshine, it will skim in seconds.  There are several products you can use to help tool it, mineral spirits, Windex, seems to work well.  

Jim's Adventures

I never heard of the 3M-4000 product.  Any cheaper than the 3M-5200? 

I used 5200 on my boat and loved it.  I was told it's a water curing caulk so it gets even better when submerged.  I never had it fail, but the big plexiglass windows I had bedded with 5200 eventually cracked.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

5 hours ago, Sculptor said:

I never heard of the 3M-4000 product.  Any cheaper than the 3M-5200? 

I used 5200 on my boat and loved it.  I was told it's a water curing caulk so it gets even better when submerged.  I never had it fail, but the big plexiglass windows I had bedded with 5200 eventually cracked.

It's around $20 a tube.  Not cheap..... but it does come in black which will blend in better on most painted rigs.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y8499G?ref_=pfb_2kk5hl6m0l4hb318bc0kddb3mmm3&tag=fbcmapper-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P01-V04-O3-TB-HI-88OTA3&fbclid=IwAR1QCFoi0eppy0xKiRk7-MlTb9OszRZ56bAh65acv8c0hrHwons4DTYetdY

I love the original 5200.  I've assembled many below waterline parts with it and never had a failure.  It's also amazing how far a little will spread... 1 dab on your finger can cover your entire body in 10 seconds.... kinda like anti-seize.

Jim's Adventures

21 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

It's around $20 a tube.  Not cheap..... but it does come in black which will blend in better on most painted rigs.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y8499G?ref_=pfb_2kk5hl6m0l4hb318bc0kddb3mmm3&tag=fbcmapper-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P01-V04-O3-TB-HI-88OTA3&fbclid=IwAR1QCFoi0eppy0xKiRk7-MlTb9OszRZ56bAh65acv8c0hrHwons4DTYetdY

I love the original 5200.  I've assembled many below waterline parts with it and never had a failure.  It's also amazing how far a little will spread... 1 dab on your finger can cover your entire body in 10 seconds.... kinda like anti-seize.

Love the antiseize analogy, great mental picture.  Still laughing.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Archived