Has anyone used Back Country Solar from Colorado?

Roadtrek 1

I have a Zamp solar panel and was thinking of integrating that with a device to send me an audible alert or message on my cellphone whenever the house batteries are running low. 

I discovered this company has such a device, but, was wondering if any of you have worked with them or had any experience with their system.

It's a Victron Smart Battery Monitor 712.... If you know that it works well please share any information.  

Thank you. 

I'm not sure I'm completely following you? Are you asking about the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor, or do you already have that.

I'm not familiar with Black Country Solar as a company. I do have the Victron BMV-712 battery though and very happy with it. I have it integrated with my Victron Charge controllers. The BMV-712 is battery monitor with a shunt so it does measure amp hours into/out of the batteries. It also has BT so you can look at it on your phone. It doesn't alert on your phone, but it does have audible alarms you can set for voltage levels (both high and low) that you'll hear in your rig. Ours will trigger a low voltage alarm sometimes when we run a high draw item like say our microwave or toaster, but the voltage rebounds once it's off. It would work fine though to alert you normally that your voltage is getting low. 

It also has the ability to trigger a relay at a certain voltage so that relay could then trigger something else. It's up to you for what it actually does. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

28 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

I'm not sure I'm completely following you? Are you asking about the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor, or do you already have that.

No ... I don't have this ....OK, you know the product and got it somewhere else ? 

And apparently it works fine?  Yes, an alert in the rig when the batteries run low.. that would be great.   I'm thinking about it.

1 hour ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

No ... I don't have this ....OK, you know the product and got it somewhere else ? 

And apparently it works fine?  Yes, an alert in the rig when the batteries run low.. that would be great.   I'm thinking about it.

Yes, I have the Victron BMV-712 and yes you can buy this on Amazon. for about $206. - BMV-712

It works great. I have one myself and have installed or helped many others set them up. You need to get the battery parameters correct, especially the charged voltage. They say the charged voltage should be .3v less than the absorb voltage, but I find about .1v less works best. Yes it does alert you when you are in the rig since you can hear it beeping. You can control it through the BT app on your phone. 

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

Are you sure you don't have a monitor? Usually when solar is installed a monitor is installed to manage the solar. Maybe you have some other brand?

You would not believe how many people install solar and no actual battery monitor with a shunt, even professional businesses. It blows my mind as how else do you know the true SOC of your batteries. 

1 hour ago, BlueLghtning said:

You would not believe how many people install solar and no actual battery monitor with a shunt, even professional businesses. It blows my mind as how else do you know the true SOC of your batteries. 

Actually.... I do have a monitor... it's installed on the ceiling in my coach.... displays the current status of the voltage and has indicator lights for full, half full and 1/4 battery power...it doesn't have an audible alert though. It's a Zamp monitor....and when it gets to 11.9 volts I know that the batteries are down 50 percent....

An audible alert would be helpful.

5 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Actually.... I do have a monitor... it's installed on the ceiling in my coach.... displays the current status of the voltage and has indicator lights for full, half full and 1/4 battery power...it doesn't have an audible alert though. It's a Zamp monitor....and when it gets to 11.9 volts I know that the batteries are down 50 percent....

I'd much rather look at my monitor daily than have an alert going off in the middle of the night.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

17 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

That's really not much of a monitor. It only monitors voltage and voltage under use is a poor indicator of SOC (State of charge). That Victron will monitor amp hours in & out so you always know the DOD (Depth of Discharge) of your batteries and when you truly are at a 100%. The voltage will go to 13.6 or higher long before the batteries are actually fully charged so with voltage, you never truly know when you are at 100% charged. It isn't when your 4 lights light up on your current meter. Also 11.9v is a bit on the low side to be taking lead acid batteries down to. 12.1 is often consider the 50% mark. 

The Victron will give a lot better real time info for sure. 

4 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

Also 11.9v is a bit on the low side to be taking lead acid batteries down to. 12.1 is often consider the 50% mark. 

Does it matter that I have two 6 volt AGM marine batteries in series... they are sealed units.   I read that 11.9 is the 50 percent level.... maybe I'm wrong? 

I appreciate your time and comment.   I'd like to know how to maximize the power. 

That's really not much of a monitor. It only monitors voltage and voltage under use is a poor indicator of SOC (State of charge). That Victron will monitor amp hours in & out so you always know the DOD (Depth of Discharge) of your batteries and when you truly are at a 100%. 

The Victron will give a lot better real time info for sure

I agree 💯 percent,  I'm not concerned about the alarm.....I'm more concerned about the batteries.  Those two AGM deep cycle batteries  each have a 220 AMP hours rating.    

That's why I prefer to be in plugged into shore power. 

One more thing..when I had my solar panels system installed ... they could only fit one Zamp 160 watt panel on the roof..no space for a second 160 panel...now..they make them a different size and I could get an additional 115 watt added on.  

Do you think it's worth it? 

16 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

No you DON'T have a battery monitor!  The type of monitor all the replies have mentioned "measure" the amp hours (AH) going in and out of the batteries as well as displaying the current battery voltage, the momentary current flow in or out, and the state of charge (SOC).  

If your installer didn't offer you this type of monitor, then that installer doesn't know what they are doing. 

11.9V is 60% discharged (40% full).  

There is a battery voltage to SOC chart in this link:  http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

Additionally there is a bunch of additional info in that link.  Also be sure to click on "part 2" at the bottom of that link for more great info including info on solar. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

11 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

I agree 💯 percent,  I'm not concerned about the alarm.....I'm more concerned about the batteries.  Those two AGM deep cycle batteries  each have a 220 AMP hours rating.    

That's why I prefer to be in plugged into shore power. 

One more thing..when I had my solar panels system installed ... they could only fit one Zamp 160 watt panel on the roof..no space for a second 160 panel...now..they make them a different size and I could get an additional 115 watt added on.  

Do you think it's worth it? 

If your 2 AGM batteries are 6V and wired in series, then your total AH rating is 220AH, not 440AH.  If you have two 12V batteries wired in parallel then you would have 440AH capacity.   Batteries wired in series the voltage adds but the AH doesn't.  Details about series and parallel are in the link I gave in my earlier reply. 

About adding a 115 watt solar panel in addition to the 160 watt panel.  The two panels probably have about the same voltage rating of about 17-18 volts, check the specs for the panels.  If the voltages match within 1 to 1.5 volts and you wire the panels in parallel that should work OK.  However it is best to have matching panels.   And yes it is worth it to have more solar if you dry camp or boondock.  You can't have too much battery or solar! 😄

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I find it amazing that even today, "professionals" install solar systems without a cumulative amp-hour meter. Of course, they are not professionals. 

When considering enhancing your off grid electrical capabilities the FIRST THING you put in is a battery monitor. A TRUE battery monitor, not a voltage meter. Period. Otherwise, you have no way to collect critical data. The Victron with BT is a great meter. As is the Trimetric, and some others. The Magnum BMK is OK, not great, but has some advantages if you are already going "all Magnum". It depends on how demanding you are. But for a standalone meter, the Victron is now my first choice. For what it is worth.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived