So, if you absolutely positively need to get on the roof of a Volvo

Parrformance

ASYVf0rl.jpg

OYiSz7Hl.jpg

I HAD to reseal the seams of the top, I just wanted to share with others how I went about it.

I did have someone hold my beer, so I had both hands free.

Threw the rope over from he bed, and scaled the windshield and pulled myself over the visor, carefully.

I weigh less then most, and the visor supports my weight just fine.

Do not try this at home, ....unless you have too.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Don't think my visor would support me as easily.😨

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hey Part..... 

Maybe next time ......hire Vegas Flyer who has plenty of sling-load time in whirlythingamagigs to hover you over your rig ....  I would suggest a Skycrane with about 9,000 Hp and a fair size fan the down-wash can help dry the sealer and......keep your beer Kool....

Drive on......( Get-ah-rope.... )

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

As Rudyard Kipling said: "You're better man than I am Gunga-Din!"

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

The sad news is, that I had enough putty to seal one seam, I will need to scale Mount Arvey again in the near future to reseal the other seam:(

Jackalopee

I had a roll of Kool Seal Roof Patch in black, 2" X 48". https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B1CIR0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut it into 1/4 inch strips 4 feet long.  The seams on the roof were nearly clear of original caulking after nearly 13 years.

I took the strips and a bottle of soapy water, that doubles as a bottle of air leak detector on the roof.  I pressed and molded the roof patch into the seam groove and smoothed it into a nice neat line with the soap and my fingers.

If anyone has a source for a 1/4 inch to a 3/8 inch bead of roof patch putty, please share as this would be easier to work with.

I am going to try a rv roofing caulk an the other side in the near future, and see if I am able to make as clean a line of sealant as the Kool Seal Patch.

Jackalopee

Par,

When I was running a bead of silicone around my windshield, I also ran a bead of Lexel down the seam as far as I could reach.  It sticks to anything.  Gotta get to the upper part of the seam but I’m too old and fat to shimmy up a rope, lol.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have used Kool Seal but not in such an application.  Another product would be a caulk gun with EPDM sealant comes in a few different colors.  This product is self leveling, UV, can be applied in cool temps and sticks lastly will not dry out for many years.  Lay down blue tape on each side of the area to apply the caulk, apply and remove the tape.  You will have very neat lines and a tight seal.  Home Depot has this product in light grey.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Par,

When I was running a bead of silicone around my windshield, I also ran a bead of Lexel down the seam as far as I could reach.  It sticks to anything.  Gotta get to the upper part of the seam but I’m too old and fat to shimmy up a rope, lol.

For the upper part of the truck, I could reach from a ladder placed on the bed.

I will check out Lexel.

Jackalopee

41 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

Can't you reach from a ladder? When I took the fiberglass roof extension of my 630 it was no problem I did pad the ladder.

Possibly, I would need to invest in a better ladder though.  My extension ladder is abysmal.

Jackalopee

34 minutes ago, Cotreker said:

I have used Kool Seal but not in such an application.  Another product would be a caulk gun with EPDM sealant comes in a few different colors.  This product is self leveling, UV, can be applied in cool temps and sticks lastly will not dry out for many years.  Lay down blue tape on each side of the area to apply the caulk, apply and remove the tape.  You will have very neat lines and a tight seal.  Home Depot has this product in light grey.

Sometimes Tunnel Vision is only corrected when you ask for help.  Masking tape didn't even cross my mind, thank you.

Loved the write up on your rig in Truck Camper Magazine.

Jackalopee

2 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Can't you reach from a ladder? When I took the fiberglass roof extension of my 630 it was no problem I did pad the ladder.

Lance,

I have a drom on the bed and tried standing on that to get to the rear but I’m not as steady as I once was and visions of RandyA’s fall from his ladder on his bed and subsequent surgery and hospitalization danced in my head.  Need to figure out a way to use my deer hunting tree stand harness from a 3-point connection to work up high.   Or something like this

9QsVaGml.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Thanks for commenting on my HDT article, the editor made me look and sound so much better.  Thinking about doing a one year follow up article.  Now a triple slide out camper on deck with Volvo upgrades.  Heading to deep snow in mountains this afternoon, pretty sure both sets of chains are coming out.  It is a sled trip with best snow ever.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Tried that, could not reach far enough. It was very frightening

The rope trick climbing Mount Arvey was far less frightening.

I did keep a very firm grip on the rope though.

Jackalopee

Seen a guy a few years ago. Pulled under a overpass. It was on a gravel road. Guy was hanging by a cable from the beams. Swinging around working on his Reefer unit. He had a few spots needed patching.

I parked and watched him for almost 30 minutes. Sure was fun watching a 5'6" x 350 lb guy. Flying around like that. Sad I never did figure out how he got the cable up there. Then the harness hooked up. Wish I had taken a video of it.

event.png

Archived