Wire type

dennisvr

2 hours ago, dan412 said:

I layed the wire out next to the ditch and the conduit slid one piece of pipe over the wire at a time then glued until I had all together then put the whole works in the ditch.

The insulation is usually PVC based.  I did the same as this but wrapped the cables in duct tape at the conduit connections.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 11/3/2018 at 5:13 AM, Chad Heiser said:

When I built my shop, I pulled four 2 gauge wires (stranded copper) through 120 feet of conduit with four 90 degree sweeps in the conduit (1 vertical at the supply side, 2 horizontal under ground and another vertical at the load side).  I used 3 inch conduit and it was a difficult pull.  I don't think I could have pulled the size wire you are looking at through the same conduit.  I wish you the best of luck.

Chad has it nailed. You are going to have an incredibly difficult time with that pull. I've done a similar pull and we had to dig up one of the bends. Even then it was difficult. But I'm not saying it is impossible....only hard. The other advice - to size the neutral the same - is sound advice. There are things that are "allowed" in the code that are not necessarily the best way to do things. Size the neutral the same.

BTW, for others and future reference. You cannot have too big a conduit. I never put in less than 3" EVER. There is a cost difference, but you will be glad you paid that bill. I know it is a moot point in this case....but for others.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

OK, I am not NEAR as qualified as you guys on AC current. But I AM cheap. I ran a 30A line about 150 ft house to dock straight pull. Bought a spool (500ft) of copper stranded and cut it in 3 pcs, color coded the ends & pulled it all 3 pcs together. Cheaper than buying 3 conductor wire pre made.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Success on pulling the wires yesterday. 
I built a tripod arraignment with a pulley and bolted a 2500lb winch to the bottom.  I dumped a quart of lube down the conduit and had a guy lubing and feeding the line as I worked the winch.  I used a flat tape like pull cord rated at 2500lb and spooled it onto the winch.
It was a really good feeling when the wire came out of the other end of the conduit.  So now I need to install all the breakers, plugs and switches and I'll be set.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

1 hour ago, dennisvr said:

Success on pulling the wires yesterday. 
I built a tripod arraignment with a pulley and bolted a 2500lb winch to the bottom.  I dumped a quart of lube down the conduit and had a guy lubing and feeding the line as I worked the winch.  I used a flat tape like pull cord rated at 2500lb and spooled it onto the winch.
It was a really good feeling when the wire came out of the other end of the conduit.  So now I need to install all the breakers, plugs and switches and I'll be set.

Wonderful news. So what wire did you end up going with?

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. It is always great when a plan works!!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived