Pricing to sale

kfrimr

Are you members of the HDT Forum? (. http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/32-hdt/. )

I'd start there and expand your search as necessary. The "For Sale" forum section should give you an idea as to what other HDT/trailer combos are selling for. Also, your generic description is NOT likely to excite anyone (in my opinion). LOTS of variables that WILL affect your rig's worth. Have you ever attended an HDT Rally? The National HDT Rally ended about 10 days ago (it's held in Hutchinson, KS each October). The East Coast HDT Rally is held in Crossville, TN each April. There are ALWAYS people at these rallies who are interested in getting an HDT (often after a white knuckle experience in their LGT [Little Girly Truck] ). This year, there was a West Coast HDT Rally in Caldwell, ID (the WCR is not yet an annual event and has, over the years, moved around). HDTs are still a small (but growing) niche in the RV world. RVers who have made the transition to an HDT for their tow vehicle are usually happy with the benefits and safety that you simply can't get with lesser tow vehicles.

5 minutes ago, jkoenig24 said:

Are you members of the HDT Forum? (. http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/32-hdt/. )

This year, there was a West Coast HDT Rally in Caldwell, ID (the WCR is not yet an annual event and has, over the years, moved around). 

I just want to correct this statement.  The WCR is an annual event and has taken place the same time every year for the last four years and will continue on in the future.  It is held in June in Caldwell, Idaho.

As to your original question, the answer is somewhat subjective.  The RV side is relatively easy as there is a NADA listing for most RV's.  The HDT side, on the other hand, can be difficult.  It comes down to a couple of things in my opinion.

First, what have you put into the truck.  A good service history with nice upgrades can be valuable to the right buyer.  I personally would be much more willing to spend money on a quality truck that is "done" and doesn't need any additions on my part.  The caveat to this is that it needs to be "done" to my standards and wants.  Some things that others may need or want are different than what I need or want so it can be difficult to figure out what "done" means.  This makes it difficult to find the perfect buyer for a particular truck.

Second is really related to what the market will bear.  There are basically two different HDT RV purchasers in my view.  The first is someone who wants to spend as little as possible to get a functioning truck.  This is someone who wants to start inexpensively and either keep it that way or slowly build up their own perfect truck.  The second is someone willing to spend money on a new/newer quality truck package (think an RVHaulers or now RVHLifestyles customer).  Both of these buyers are pretty easy to figure out.  The hardest buyer to figure out is the one in the middle.  Someone who wants a nice package, but doesn't want to spend or doesn't have the ability to spend what it would take to buy the custom built beauties that someone like RVHLifestyles puts out.  I consider myself in this middle group.  I didn't want to start with a basic truck that I had to single and start from scratch with, but I also didn't have the money to buy a completely done newer truck either.  I hunted around and found a truck that was done enough to meet my basic standards to start out and I have slowly put my own work and more money into it to make it perfect for me.

I don't know if my pondering is helpful or not.  If I were to try to sell my truck, I would look at the classified ads here and a few other places.  Then I would look at what I have put into my truck and come up with a reasonable number that I thought was fair based on the totality of my specific circumstances.  I would then be prepared to sit on the truck until I found the right buyer who thought it was the right truck for them and negotiate a fair price that made us both happy.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

17 hours ago, kfrimr said:

So how does one go about coming up with a value of an RV or truck when thinking about selling?

Howdy kfrimr,

I suggest reading Chad's post at least a couple of times, he has covered the topic quite well.  I know that strategy worked for me when I bought my first truck, worked well when I sold it and worked again when I bought and built the truck I have now.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived