Cab or Windshield Leak?

SuiteSuccess

1 hour ago, Av8r3400 said:

I wish you would have asked at the ECR, Carl.   (I'm in the windshield business.)

We could have had you fixed up in 10 minutes.  A small cap bead (1/8" or less) where the glass meets the rubber gasket will fix the issue.  This is very common on Volvos.

Just showed up last week while in Savannah.  I assume you mean cap bead with silicone or similar?  Is this something I could do myself?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Absolutely.  Clean the glass and gasket well and let it dry.   Then put a small, fine bead (1/8”) where the rubber and glass meet. 

I prefer black silicone because it looks best. 

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

34 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

Absolutely.  Clean the glass and gasket well and let it dry.   Then put a small, fine bead (1/8”) where the rubber and glass meet. 

Thanks 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On 7/5/2018 at 7:25 AM, Av8r3400 said:

Av8r,

Hosed windshield and cab with steady stream of water for 15 mins.  No leak that wife and I could find. Also hosed moon roof. Guess what happened was condensate.

Think I will silicone just to be sure.  Silicone just the glass side of the rubber seal, or also where rubber seal meets the cab (metal)?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Just glass to rubber. 

Its almost impossible for water to infiltrate at the body. It will drain out the bottom first. The water can pool in the pocket the glass sits in. 

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Some installers put the cap bead just on the sides and bottom.  Water usually doesn’t run uphill at the top. 

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

1 hour ago, Av8r3400 said:

Some installers put the cap bead just on the sides and bottom.  Water usually doesn’t run uphill at the top. 

Thanks again for the help.  Understand what your saying.  Last question (maybe😁).  The water I noticed was from the top drivers side and ran down the curtain channel from about mid visor.  In your experience leaking at the top of the windshield is unlikely?  As I said above I could not reproduce with a water hose.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Top leaks are not unheard of.  If you are seeing a water drip down the inside face of the windshield this could be a sign of damage to the gasket itself.  

Honestly, I would counsel patients on this before you do anything.  Keep an eye on the area and note when (if) you see the leak happening.  This will help identify what the issue really is without making any unnecessary repairs that may just cause future issues. 

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

20 hours ago, NTPA Announcer said:

Carl,

Did you receive your package from me ?

Yes and mailed check back several days ago. Please let me know if you don’t receive it. Use my email or here. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I had a leak in the windshield, someone had tried to silicon it several times before I got truck. It was $200 to try and reseal it or $250 for a new windshield and new gasket, so I went with new and fixed the leak. Windshield shop in Murfreesboro.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived