2015 Smart car Brabus question.

chief916

OK....i'm a little confused here.  have spent the past 2 hours on the Resource site trying to answer a question.  Having done that...I now turn to the guys who have them on the HDT site.  I have a 2015 Smart Brabus....and believe me here...up until last month I had no idea what a Brabus was, having said that the DW and I took a trip down to Alpharetta GA to look at it.  Gorgeous car...we bought it...loaded it up on our TH and started home...bent an axle, for those who remember on our TH, at Blacksburg SC...bobtailed it home...30 days later we go back to pick up the TH with the Smart still in the garage.  get it home and drive the Smart around, you know, looking spiffy and full of myself and then I finally notice about a week later that when I start the car up...I keep getting this little flashy thingy that looks like a wrench in the LED screen that shows the MPH and time and all that.  I spent all last evening reading the users manual and I'm still not sure if that little flashy thingy..ie: the flashing wrench is supposed to do that.  I might add that after a couple of seconds or twelve, when I put it into gear and start driving in auto....it stops flashing.  Can any of you guys tell me if this is normal???  

Ben

Good advice not to ignore it! Take it from me having records of the service will save your bacon if you have a failure during warranty and other obvious reasons. 

We lost an engine with a blown head gasket last year on our 2011 Smart. When the head gasket went the antifreeze abd syn oil mixed causing the oil to congeal all through the eng. Kaput!! 

Was in last month of 2 year Ext warranty. They tried to deny but in the end replaced with new engine at their cost of $10k. 😳

Proof of service was a big deal. 

I had even done my own services. But that was a battle with them but records meant everything. I think in the future dealer service while under warranty will be my plan. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Thank you all for this info.  Trey....this info is invaluable...thank you so much.  The only thing I did when we got home was to replace the air filter with a K&N and dry cleaned the engine with a small brush and compressed air.  I may have triggered something to set off the maintenance wrench.  I'm a little over 21000 miles.  It could be that when they serviced the car when we bought it...they forgot to reset it.  

Thanks again.

Ben

My wrench starts blinking every 10,000 miles. I think it is telling you to change the oil. I change my own oil every 8500 so I just reset the indicator when it comes on. I have the directions in the car but it always takes about 5 tries before it resets.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

The wrench is a lot more than an oil change indicator. There's a whole list of service items to be checked at each service interval. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived