Streaming advice sought

I'm full time, use a Dish Tailgater for satellite TV, Verizon Unlimited with a hot-spot for internet, and I'm looking for advice on a better way to stream shows through Amazon Prime.  Right now I use my hot spot on the phone and my TV accesses the internet through the phone but when I reach the data limit on the hot spot the speeds are reduced to a point where streaming is no longer possible.  Any ideas of how to better do this?

Jim 

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

What kind of phone do you have?  You get unlimited high speed on device data - so many of us get around the hotspot high speed cap by 'casting' the image to a larger screen.  On our iPhones, we use their AV HDMI adapter.  Android phones have other options available. 

Our guide TV & Movie Streaming goes over some options (and considerations for video streaming in general):

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/tv

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Problem is cell phone streaming works fine as long as you have lots of data and can get a decent cell signal.  What do you do for areas that have limited cell signal?  Satellite is the best choice.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

18 hours ago, Technomadia said:

What kind of phone do you have?  You get unlimited high speed on device data - so many of us get around the hotspot high speed cap by 'casting' the image to a larger screen.  On our iPhones, we use their AV HDMI adapter.  Android phones have other options available. 

Our guide TV & Movie Streaming goes over some options (and considerations for video streaming in general):

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/tv

Thanks for the link, it was very informative.  I have an iphone 8 with unlimited data plan.  In your link you indicated a "Lightning Digital AV Adapter" is an option and I have looked at those.  When I look on Amazon they all specifically state that they will not work with Prime Video and other commercial streaming services.  Some of the commenters on Amazon stated that the Apple version of the device would work.  So I called Apple several days ago and they referred me a fella in tech support and he stated with certainty that it would not work with streaming services because of copy write infringement issues.  So I'm left wondering if the Apple product really does work and they are just required by law to state that it is not designed to handle Prime Video?  Any thoughts on that?

Jim

Jim
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Hoo boy,

When Musk finally launches his initial 5000 satellite constellation for inexpensive Internet at LEO along with possible cell service too, it won't be too soon for all of us especially RVrs.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

SpaceX isn't even "hoping" to have that system in place until the mid 2020's.....another 7 years plus, at least. I'm not holding my breath waiting on it. 

Meanwhile the OP still has issues with internet....now.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Big5er,

Like I said, when he finally gets it in place it won't be too soon for any of us. Yeah it will be great then! You are tracking it too.

5G may take that long as well or not, for either. So your suggestion to him for now is? . . .

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Big5er,

So your suggestion to him for now is? . . .

Don't have one. I do not stream much for the exact reason he mentioned. I'll stick with satelite TV for my TV and my limited internet for internet. Combining the two, without unlimited internet available, seems rather difficult in my opinion. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I Full Time and use DirecTV with a Genie. I record almost all the shows and movies I watch.
Very seldom do I watch live anymore. Skipping the commercials saves a lot of time. But I am always behind watching the 99 programs I have set too record. And at least 20 plus movies behind to watch.

I also have Amazon Prime & Hula but only watch some of that on my unlimited iPhone Sprint(Plus 10GB hot spot) is while at the laundromat.

I also have the AT&T unlimited Mobley hot spot. Right now I have used 14.5GB on it this month with 5 days to go.
20-35GB a month is my usual amount used. I just don't have the time to do much streaming.

I have 3 Smart TV's that I can feed streaming through my WiFiRanger from the Mobley. But very seldom can find the time to do it. :(

Now when needing to fix something on my MH I do stream youtube on how it is done.
A couple weeks ago replaced the 21' patio awning by watching youtube. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

You can also take advantage of higher limit internet when you have it and save the videos for later viewing.  We just visited a friend who does this using Audials Moviebox on Windows, https://audials.com/en/moviebox/audials_moviebox_windows_software.html , but I am sure there are other solutions.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

On 4/29/2018 at 11:22 AM, Five Wood said:

So I'm left wondering if the Apple product really does work and they are just required by law to state that it is not designed to handle Prime Video?  Any thoughts on that?

Just double checked, Amazon Prime totally allows HDMI out to a larger screen.... no problem. 

Some apps do block it (like some sports centric ones and DirecTV), but many do allow it. 

In the 12 years we've been on the road, we've pretty much utilized streaming video exclusively over cellular. It's totally possible and affordable with the right data plans. 

- Cherie

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

19 hours ago, Technomadia said:

Just double checked, Amazon Prime totally allows HDMI out to a larger screen.... no problem. 

Some apps do block it (like some sports centric ones and DirecTV), but many do allow it.

- Cherie

I guess I'll give this a try.

Jim

Jim
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Too many variables, video quality being a huge one. 480 vs. 1080. Different providers use different technology to stream, also.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

20 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

Is there some practical formula where 1 hour of streaming TV equals X amount of data streamed? I looked around the infrazwebz but didn't find anything practical and definitive.

Eddie, look a few posts up on this thread at the post from Technomadia.  Their link is very informative and a section of it answers your question.

Jim

Jim
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Thank you. I have pretty much avoided them until now because they tend to tease you with just enough review and then demand/require  a paid subscription to get the real answers. I don't subscribe to web pages. I will check them out in this case though. Thanks again.

On 5/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, eddie1261 said:

Thank you. I have pretty much avoided them until now because they tend to tease you with just enough review and then demand/require  a paid subscription to get the real answers. I don't subscribe to web pages. I will check them out in this case though. Thanks again.

Because we are member supported to make tracking mobile internet topics our full time focus (instead of advertising, selling products or being sponsored) we strive to offer as much free & useful content as we can.  In this case, your specific question is answered in the free content. 

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:

It is only going to get more congested for mobile connections as now Amazon Prime is starting to carry a lot of 4k streaming content too in addition to Netflix that has the most 4k now.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Well, I purchased this adapter from Apple and it seems to work just fine.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter?fnode=97&fs=f%3Dadapter%26fh%3D458e%2B45b0

Thanks for the replies.

Jim

Jim
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Archived