Sleeper mattress sizes, what fits what doesn't?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I am looking to replace the mattress in the Pete, the one that was in the truck when I bought it did NOT fit in the space allocated it over hung the space by about four inches on length.

So I measure the mattress space, its 78 and one half inches long, and 42 and one half inches wide.  I must have looked at ten different web sites that sell truck mattresses and the only thing that comes close to being the right size is 42 inch wide is 80 inches long.  I have called three different manufacturers and they have all said that their mattress is an actual 80 inches long.

So I to ask the members what have you done when buying a new mattress, will an 80 inch mattress fit into a 78 and a half inch space and not feel like your sleeping on a rock?  The mattress space in the sleeper of the Pete, has walls about 3 inches high on the rear length, 2 inches high on the front length and about 4 inches high on both ends so the mattress and bedding will have to fit within this shallow box.  

Most of the mattresses I have looked at are at least 5 inches tall, some are up to 8-10 inches thick, so I am wondering how others have faced this situation or has Peterbilt, made it so that you are forced into buying a special mattress if you want one that fits into their sleepers.  Any information that may be of help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Kind of wonder what you are supposed to do in an old PB myself.  So you get the 42x77 PB mattress, do you stretch a 39x75 set of twin sheets on it?  Or do you put on a loose 39x80 set of twin XL sheets on it?  Or do you buy Peterbilt sheet too?  The KW's are 42x80 so I get a set of twin XL at Target and am good to go.  I know, not much help, but I've been trying the Bostrom/Serta truck mattress in the last couple weeks (yea, tough day at work) and it sure is nice!  But it is only in 80"....

Bust out the Sawzall!

3 minutes ago, Scrap said:

Kind of wonder what you are supposed to do in an old PB myself.  So you get the 42x77 PB mattress, do you stretch a 39x75 set of twin sheets on it?  Or do you put on a loose 39x80 set of twin XL sheets on it?  Or do you buy Peterbilt sheet too?  The KW's are 42x80 so I get a set of twin XL at Target and am good to go.  I know, not much help, but I've been trying the Bostrom/Serta truck mattress in the last couple weeks (yea, tough day at work) and it sure is nice!  But it is only in 80"....

Bust out the Sawzall!

Howdy Brian,

Seriously, just cutting an inch or two off of a foam mattress would solve the problem, crude but effective.  However if one is thinking about or buys something other then a foam mattress this is a bit of a problem.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

46 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

40 years ago my mom made matrices for the 64 chevy van we had. She bought foam, 4" i think and sowed covers for them.they were the most comfortable beds I ever slept in, of coursre i was 14. If you think you want to go that route i can ask if it was special foam.

Howdy Lance,

Thanks, I have a foam mattress in the toy hauler, can't remember the brand but it is way more comfortable then the big money temprapedic bed we bought years ago for our regular house bedroom.  Foam is good but I haven't made up my mind to go that way with the sleeper in the Pete.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

8 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Dave, try sleep dog mattress. I'm pretty sure they will custom cut a mattress for you  we replaced the factory pocket coil with their 10" bamboo topped model and Vicki loves it.

Howdy GH,

Most of the sites I looked at would custom build to your supplied specs, I just hate to go that routes for two reasons, initial cost and then getting bedding to fit.  I did find one place (  Big Rig Mattress SKU4278  ) that sells a 42"x78" mattress, so I will probably go with them if I can't find something else that will work as well or better.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

For my Pete I just went to a furniture store and got a twin mattress. It is a hair narrow and a bit short but work just fine.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Howdy Jon

Do you know the measurements of your Pete’s actual mattress space and of the mattress you are using?  If you could provide those measurements I would be most grateful thanks.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Mr. Cob there is a mattress place in Marysville WA. on 4th  and Cedar that will make one for you any size you want and there prices are pretty good. We had some made for our boat they did a good job.

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

23 minutes ago, dan412 said:

Mr. Cob there is a mattress place in Marysville WA. on 4th  and Cedar that will make one for you any size you want and there prices are pretty good. We had some made for our boat they did a good job.

Howdy Dan,

I know the place, never stopped in but have driven past it a 1,000 times.  Thanks for the tip.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

22 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Watch out for the switches when you change.

Brad

Howdy Brad,

YES, I darn sure will.  That was a lesson learned the hard way.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 minutes ago, NoDirectionHome said:

Have you tried Peterbilt or Kenworth?

Howdy NDH,

No, I have not.  I don't want to get into a "custom" or specialty mattress as the cost of the mattress and bedding wouldn't be reasonable.  I am probably going to end up going with the "Big Rig" SKU4278 mattress, it will fit and bedding is available in regular stores.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I was thinking they may have "new old stock" at a reasonable price they'd just like to unload as it's generally dead stock that takes up a lot of space.  Just a thought.  I'd inquire and if they have one, do a "what would ya take for it" kind of approach.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Archived