Davco 380 Fuel Filter Change

JPL

I'm getting ready for the trip to the ECR and my under hood ck showed that the fuel filter was up to the top and in need of a change. It's been 5 yrs and 20k since the last change. So i have a few questions IRT the sequence of events.It is a Davco Model 380. Has a 6" cover on top of a large alum housing. I just want to make sure my plan is OK. 1st   Set bucket under drain and drain the filter. 2nd   Remove plastic cover (with special wrench) and clesn the bottom of the housing. Is there a gasket or O ring ?  Once I'm ready to put the filter in place do I put a little clean diesel fuel in the bottom of the filter base?  Last   Reinstall the cover and tighten with the special wrench. Now do I just crank it over?  Any comments or recommendations are greatly appreciated.    Thanks All    Pat

The Old Sailor

Pat,

YouTube has exact procedure for change under “Davco Fuel Filter Change”. My phone won’t link but you can look it up.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Have about a gallon of fresh diesel to add to the new filter through the top of the glass bowl.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Pat,

Your procedure is correct. Drain as you suggested until empty. Their are two o rings, a larger and smaller which should come with the filter. One for the bowl and one for the top plug. Definitely get a rag and clean the gunk in the bowl.  Reinstall and fill the entire housing with fresh diesel and put the plug on. A ball valve in the line to the Davco should have kept your prime. Start her up and the fuel level in the housing should drop to near the bottom of the filter but still be visible slightly above the aluminum bowl. See ya soon. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Dave   Thanks for that info had a gal on hand. 

Suite    Got everything back together and had a issue with prime. Chet (Never Easy) came over (in the rain and cold) and helped to get the prime back and to get it to start and run. However it keeps bubbling. Have taken it back apart, recleaned everything and put in a second set on new o rings. Still wants to bubble. Didn't have a issue before I changed the filter. Rewatched the video a couple of times. Just can't seem to get the bubbles to stop. With it running the diesel in the filter starts to lower. Can't seem to figure it out. Any ideas    Pat

The Old Sailor

Bubbles are the fuel saturating the filter medium. Thats why the level is decreasing in the bowl as you are idling. Get it out on the road and get some fuel moving. Bubbles should dissipate.  Did you change any other of your fuel filters?  Are you keeping a prime!

Pat,

There is an “anti siphon “ ball and spring on the side of the Davco.  Sometimes the spring gets weak or the ball cracks and it won’t let you keep prime but DesertMiner is right. The filter will get saturated and bubble some and after you drive it some the level will usually settle at or slightly above the bottom bowl. Internet is bad where I’m at or I could send you pics.  Try this link and see if it helps .

http://www.davco.com/forms/tech/F1271.pdf

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Yes, I went over to Pat's place and helped.  Miserable day but his shop was a warm place to recoup in.  His shop is beautiful.  If I could keep my shop like that I would put in a poker table to go with all the other great stuff he has and never work in it.  Invite all the guys over and let them admire my shop. 

The bubbles did not appear to be consistent with an air leak to me.  With those, there is a stream of bubbles.  These were small and coming from all over the place.  I found a couple of pieces of literature from DAVCO on air bubbles.  They say that air bubbles are not good and to fix before driving.   I may have made things worse because in one place it says in big words, "HAND TIGHTEN THE COLLAR AND VENT CAP. OVERTIGHTENING CAN CREATE A TWISTED SEAL RESULTING IN AN AIR LEAK.".  My master plan was tighten it more if it leaks.  I called Pat last night and told him to try backing the collar off and hand tighten.

Have not heard from him today.  Maybe that is good news.

Carl, thanks for the manual.  I don't have a DAVCO on my rig but I want one for my shop transfer pump.  The fuel level rise must be due to an increased vacuum by the fuel pump with restriction.  Pretty clever.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Chat/All      I drained it just like it said do and cleaned everything  just like it said and reinstalled. Same results as rainy/cold yesterday. Bubbles. now I've read that Davco pdf. I will climb under the truck tomorrow and ck for leaks. There was a specific procedure in the pdf. i hope I can figure it out. Wen is getting closer. I am going to find out if anyone local has any parts in house for this filter.  I had no issues before I changed the filter. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. 

I can't thank Chat and Deb enough for coming over yesterday and helping. He got it running now all I have to do is find the leak!  Thanks everybody for all of the great help, advice and recommendations.

Pat

The Old Sailor  And if this keeps up much older way to soon!!!!

Chet   I just printed the pdf file for the filter. That should really help. Hope I can tell the difference between a air bubble and a vapor bubble!     Thanks again All   Pat

The Old Sailor

I may have missed it. But you did replace both O-Rings? And did not forget and leave one of the old ones on there? Or leave the black plastic piece at the bottom  from the old filter?

Make sure when you drain the fuel. You did not drain it all out, leave it where you can see it in the bottom. Then when you fill it back up. All is well then.

event.png

Pete   Yes both gaskets were changed twice and the bottom old filter gasket was removed. I talked to the tech (Rich) at DAVco this morning and he told me that there would be some bubbles because of the turbulent nature of the fuel flowing thru the filter. He asked me if I was having starting problems or a lose of power. I told him no to both questions. Then he said that I should just fill the filter up to the top let it idle for a minute then vent the the black knob until the level is just above the black locking nut collar and then tighten. I drive the truck around for about 6-8 miles this morning before I talked to him So tomorrow i'll try this again. I will let it idle awhile and then drive it awhile. But keeping a eye on the filter. I have to make a decision about getting UW wen for the ECR. Whae a crazy couple of days all because of a $13 filter.   Pat

The Old Sailor

Test was sat. I let the truck run for a 1/2 hour ckd the filter. Still at the and just above the black ring. Drove the truck around for a hour. no problems. Got back to the house and ckd the filter again. Still just above the black ring. washed and waxed the truck. Cool but sunny. hooked up to the 5er and ready for a morning UW to meet up with Never Easy and then head for the ECR. All seems to be well.  Hope to see everybody at the Rally.    Pat

The Old Sailor

6 hours ago, JPL said:

Test was sat. I let the truck run for a 1/2 hour ckd the filter. Still at the and just above the black ring. Drove the truck around for a hour. no problems. Got back to the house and ckd the filter again. Still just above the black ring. washed and waxed the truck. Cool but sunny. hooked up to the 5er and ready for a morning UW to meet up with Never Easy and then head for the ECR. All seems to be well.  Hope to see everybody at the Rally.    Pat

The Old Sailor

We’ll be waiting for ya!

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived