Florida to Alaska

Zoco

Zoco,

Since you are an Escapees member, go to Days End Directory  and for a nominal fee of $15, you can download file of places to camp which are free or very low cost.  Also at Days End there is a map where you put in the route you will be traveling and it shows you all the places along that route that are in the file. This listing is our primary source for camping spots when we travel.  By the way, we very seldom stay in any RV Parks.  We mostly stay in National Forest, BLM, State Parks, City parks, county parks and staying in roadside pull offs.  When we are traveling from one place to another, we use Walmarts for over night parking.  We mostly stay at Walmarts in smaller cities, as they are usually friendlier to RV'ers than large cities. 

For National Forest (NF) campgrounds we use this website to find information about the NF CG's. 

Also when you go to Yellowstone NP, consider staying at Baker's Hole NF CG just outside the west entrance to Yellowstone. The reports I have seen say you can usually find a campsite there by arriving between 8am and 10am and looking for someone to leave. 

There are 3 more CG's a few miles north of Gardiner, MT at the north entrance to Yellowstone.  Again using Forest Camping website for Gallatin NF, look down the list for Gardiner to see the info for the CG's.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the amount of time you have to visit all of the United States.  Yes, 6 months is not enough time to see it all.  But I think you realize that you can't see everything in one trip.  However, as Kirk wrote earlier, you can see a lot of the USA in that time.

Especially with children, plan on only having full days of travel for one or two days to go from one location to another.  Then once you get there stay in that location for 4-10 days before traveling to the next major location you have decided to visit.  This means picking the 30 or so most interesting--to you and your family-- places to visit and spending more time in each place rather than trying to visit 50-75 different locations.  Also the children (and you) will be much more relaxed and will enjoy the trip much more, by spending a little more time in each location, rather than only spending 1-3 days and rushing off to the next location. 

For example, Yellowstone deserves at least a week and 10 to 14 days is much better.  Especially if you can get a really nice NF campsite where you can get out the BBQ grill, sit outside and relax, have room for the kids to play, maybe even finding neighbors with other kids to play with.  

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

31 minutes ago, Al F said:

have room for the kids to play, maybe even finding neighbors with other kids to play with.  

This can't be overstated, the cool thing about camping is that a lot of families will have kids and they can make new friends.  Are you planning on taking bikes?  If you hadn't planned on it you might consider going to a pawn shop at your first location (or looking on craigslist) and buying a couple cheap bikes for the kids that you can donate at the end of your trip (if they don't know how to ride what better time to teach them).

Personally, I wouldn't bother with bikes.  Most parks do not have designated bike trails and the park roads are much too busy with vehicles and too narrow to ride bikes.  If you're staying at public campgrounds walking is a good exercise and staying at beaches will give miles of exercise.  There's nothing wrong with having nature be the playground.

As you travel through smaller towns be on the lookout for city or county parks. They can be jewels to stay and usually easy walking into town.  The northern Plains states have some wonderful ones.  Stop a local Visitor Centers for information.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

As you travel through smaller towns be on the lookout for city or county parks. They can be jewels to stay and usually easy walking into town. 

Fairgrounds are another reasonably priced option that generally provide lots of room as long as there is not an event scheduled. The Ultimate Public Campground Project and Free Campsites websites are good sources for finding these types of camping spots.

I consider all opinions, in particula AI F's opinions  "Then once you get there stay in that location for 4-10 days before traveling to the next major location you have decided to visit.  This means picking the 30 or so most interesting--to you and your family-- places to visit and spending more time in each place rather than trying to visit 50-75 different locations.  Also the children (and you) will be much more relaxed and will enjoy the trip much more, by spending a little more time in each location, rather than only spending 1-3 days and rushing off to the next location"  .

On  2015 I had the happiness of celebrating July 4th in the city of Okeechobe, Florida, it was an incredible celebration, and my children loved the various activities. This year I'm going to The US before of 4th July, to celebrate again. Someone can recommend a place north to Orlando, to celebrating 4th July, I'm looking small cities, with an RV park.  Thank you

7 hours ago, Zoco said:

I consider all opinions, in particula AI F's opinions  "Then once you get there stay in that location for 4-10 days before traveling to the next major location you have decided to visit.  This means picking the 30 or so most interesting--to you and your family-- places to visit and spending more time in each place rather than trying to visit 50-75 different locations.  Also the children (and you) will be much more relaxed and will enjoy the trip much more, by spending a little more time in each location, rather than only spending 1-3 days and rushing off to the next location"  .

On  2015 I had the happiness of celebrating July 4th in the city of Okeechobe, Florida, it was an incredible celebration, and my children loved the various activities. This year I'm going to The US before of 4th July, to celebrate again. Someone can recommend a place north to Orlando, to celebrating 4th July, I'm looking small cities, with an RV park.  Thank you

A wonderful campground near Orlando is Moss Park.  This park has large RV campsites under huge live oak trees, draped with Spanish moss.  When we were there in 2010 there were lots of sand hill cranes living and wandering through the CG.  These birds are not overly afraid of humans. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

17 hours ago, Zoco said:

This year I'm going to The US before of 4th July, to celebrate again.

If you can't be here earlier than July, then certainly do plan to celebrate in Florida but there are such celebrations in pretty much every community in the entire US. Independence Day is and has always been a very important holiday in this country. Most communities of 20,000 or so will have a community fireworks display sponsored by one of their civic organizations so you might wish to try to be in some new state for that event. Just go to your favorite internet search engine and type in "independence day celebrations in Florida" or whatever state you think that you might be in at that time and you can find a listing of many different ones. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have a group of friends that traveled from Central Florida to Homer Alaska. There were 6 RV's and they left Florida around the end of May and were back in Tennessee in the beginning of October. They spent a total of 6 weeks in Alaska, Salmon fishing, hiking, and having a great time. The stopped at quite a few spots along the way and did travel up the center of the US before hitting Canada. The didn't have kids which might be an issue. We travel with our grandkids during the summer for 2 weeks without any boredom issues. Our trips usually are from Central Florida to Upstate NY ( Farthest Niagara Falls). We stop at camping areas with pools and visit different museums or amusement parks. If you are looking for a place in the Orlando area a place we go is Tropical Palms in Kissimmee, just outside of Orlando. The park has a nice pool and also is walking distance to two attractions. One is called Old Town that holds classic car shows on Friday and Saturday evenings. There are also old style shops with red brick roads. At the end of the evening the classic cars take a cruise down the red brick street. Next door is the Fun Spot which has a different types of rides, go-karts, bungee, Ferris wheel, etc.  The RV Park is also real close to Disney and the fireworks.

event.png

Hello everyone, I came back, sorry for answering with delay. I had an accident, I slipped on a ramp and I severely hurt my knee. I'm having physiotherapy daily,  for more six weeks. On my original plan, exactly today I should be in Florida to find an RV. But...... I hope to recover my knee movement soon to continue my project. All advice you gave me on this forum topic, I already added on my notebook and things to do. I'm really glad you share with me all that. 

As soon as I start looking for the RV, I update you on the progress, but at the moment I don't have any expectation about when. 

From my family to you. Thank you Very Much!

1 hour ago, Zoco said:

Hello everyone, I came back, sorry for answering with delay. I had an accident, I slipped on a ramp and I severely hurt my knee.

I hope your recovery goes well.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, Zoco said:

But...... I hope to recover my knee movement soon to continue my project.

Knees can be painful but stick with the recovery plan and you should do well. My wife fell and broke a kneecap a few weeks back but is nearly recovered now and improving steadily so I'm pretty familiar with the process. Just keep with it and give a little time. It may help to keep the mind busy to get busy with more research and planning. Welcome back!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody, I'm feeling better, and I have my new travel date, will be on June 23. But I lost too much time with my accident, and I will travel with my family to buy the RV. As you are following me on this topic, can you give me an advice about what RV I should choose? I have an 85k budget to buy the RV, I'm thinking for a Class "A". I'm not sure a Diesel between 2006 to 2008, or a Gas between 2010 to 2016. I having checked the prices and models and I'm seeing that options. I don't know how old should have the RV, I know it depends on conservation and maintenance. I'm concerned about issues on an old RV can have. I don't have experience with RV repair in The USA. I know how to fix a lot of small things, but not the big ones.

Thank You again.

With your budget and time constraints, I would tend to think in terms of a gasoline-powered coach as they are much less expensive and so you would also be looking at much newer RVs. I know that people favor diesel on these forums but I know from experience that a quality gas coach can take you to the same places at a significantly lower cost. In looking through the ads I find any number of gas chassis coaches available in your price range that are 5 or fewer years old. Once an RV nears the 10 year age there will be an increased risk of problems with appliances if they have seen much use. We lived for 12 years(owned it 14) in a gas coach and have very little problems in the first 10 years but increasing after than. The appliances are pretty much the same in any RV so power source doesn't matter there. The brands that I would put at the top of my list if shopping for your plan would be Allegro (by Tiffin), Winnebago, Itasca, Bay Star(by Newmar), and possibly the Bounder (by Fleetwood). You will see far more of them from Thor and Forest River in the newer models but there is a reason that those brands are traded in after fewer years than those I have listed above. 

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

With your budget and time constraints, I would tend to think in terms of a gasoline-powered coach as they are much less expensive and so you would also be looking at much newer RVs. I know that people favor diesel on these forums but I know from experience that a quality gas coach can take you to the same places at a significantly lower cost. In looking through the ads I find any number of gas chassis coaches available in your price range that are 5 or fewer years old. Once an RV nears the 10 year age there will be an increased risk of problems with appliances if they have seen much use. We lived for 12 years(owned it 14) in a gas coach and have very little problems in the first 10 years but increasing after than. The appliances are pretty much the same in any RV so power source doesn't matter there. The brands that I would put at the top of my list if shopping for your plan would be Allegro (by Tiffin), Winnebago, Itasca, Bay Star(by Newmar), and possibly the Bounder (by Fleetwood). You will see far more of them from Thor and Forest River in the newer models but there is a reason that those brands are traded in after fewer years than those I have listed above. 

On my first search about 2 months ago, I selected some RVS, but all diesel.  If you have some time to check and give a feedback if I'm right about those choices it will be of great value to me.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2007-Fleetwood-DISCOVERY-39V-5001440884

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2008-Fleetwood-PROVIDENCE-40X-5000890044

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2006-Newmar-Ventana-3937-4-Slides-5002403140

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Itasca-HORIZON-40KD-5000983437

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2006-Travel-Supreme-ENVOY-40DS04-5002110060

I'm doing a new search about gas RV, and I found this one.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2014-Fleetwood-Rv-Bounder-Classic-34B-5002607158

Thank You

From your list I'd prefer the 2014 Fleetwood Bounder based only on the floor plan and age. I would not like to have to make up a sofa bed every night. I like the kitchen counters. I like that the dinette has seatbelts that would let the kids face forward  instead of sideways on a sofa bed. You can watch the TV with your head facing straight from several seats. I like a bathroom that has everything in one room. It appears to have plenty of storage but is only 36 feet long which increases the places you can park it. It's in Florida which means you can go see it fairly easily.

As to age, batteries are usually good for abut 5 years and tires are good for 5-7 years so any rig older that 2014 is likely to cost you that money up front unless the seller has already upgraded.

I have no experience with Fleetwood but I trust Kirk's opinion on brands.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

56 minutes ago, sandsys said:

From your list I'd prefer the 2014 Fleetwood Bounder based only on the floor plan and age. I would not like to have to make up a sofa bed every night. I like the kitchen counters. I like that the dinette has seatbelts that would let the kids face forward  instead of sideways on a sofa bed. You can watch the TV with your head facing straight from several seats. I like a bathroom that has everything in one room. It appears to have plenty of storage but is only 36 feet long which increases the places you can park it. It's in Florida which means you can go see it fairly easily.

As to age, batteries are usually good for abut 5 years and tires are good for 5-7 years so any rig older that 2014 is likely to cost you that money up front unless the seller has already upgraded.

Linda Sand

Thank you for your opinion, I didn't consider gas RV before, but at the moment I thinking they are a good choice for my budget.

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

I haven't personally owned a Bounder but I do have several friends who have and I've spent a lot of time around Bounders. It isn't up to the quality would be in the other 3 that I mentioned, but it is probably lower priced as well. 

Someone here using travel trailers? Is it a good option? Because I'm thinking to buy a new Truck and one or two years old, 30 to 35ft long trailer.

The RV Show, is it a good place to buy an RV? I'm planning to change the trip to the United States and going to the Tampa Rv show, what's will happen between June 7 and June 10. 

Thank you.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:33 AM, Zoco said:

...I have an 85k budget to buy the RV...

56 minutes ago, Zoco said:

...Someone here using travel trailers? Is it a good option? Because I'm thinking to buy a new Truck and one or two years old, 30 to 35ft long trailer...

We have traveled in a 32' travel trailer towed by a 2500 and now a 3500 single rear wheel long bed, crewcab diesel pickup for the past 10 years. We put 162,000 miles on the 2500 and now have about 12,500 miles on the 3500. The 2500 was more than adequate to tow our trailer. The way the trucks are priced and standard equipment provided, the 2500 and 3500 similarly equipped were almost the same price. The 3500 does have about 1500# more payload capacity. If you are not familiar with matching a trailer and tow vehicle, here are some links to help you: Trailer calculator, trailer length

If your budget has not changed, 85k can get you a new truck and a new trailer depending on how many bells and whistles you want on the truck and whether you want gas or diesel. You might even come in under budget.

10 hours ago, Zoco said:

Someone here using travel trailers? Is it a good option? Because I'm thinking to buy a new Truck and one or two years old, 30 to 35ft long trailer.

We started our RV experience with a series of travel trailers, then shifted to motorhomes for about 20 years and now that we are back to part-time we are also back to towing a trailer. There are advantages to any type RV and each one has its drawbacks as well. We have never owned a truck camper but did consider one at one point.  In trailers, there are advantages to a fifth wheel type because they tow more easily and are more maneuverable than travel trailers, but if I read this correctly, you are asking about travel trailers and not fifth wheel trailers.

One big advantage to towing a travel trailer is the choice of vehicle that it gives you for towing it. You could tow one with an SUV like the Ford Expedition or GM Suburban or with one of the pickup trucks. If towing with a truck it leaves you the complete bed for cargo, or you can even do as we have and put a shell on the bed for additional storage or cargo. Most drivers who have done both will agree that it takes more driving skill to maneuver with a 35' travel trailer than it does for an equivalent fifth wheel, but there are many of them out on the roads so it is reasonable to believe that you can do so as well. Another advantage of a travel trailer over a fifth wheel is the flat floor, which is a major reason that we chose one this time. Another reason we have gone back to a travel trailer is that they are lowest to the ground of the RV types and my wife has major back problems so has difficulty getting into and out of the RV. 

11 hours ago, Zoco said:

The RV Show, is it a good place to buy an RV?

Shows can be a good place to buy but are seldom the absolute best. Shows do not usually have any used RVs but the dealers there sometimes can refer you to their lot based on knowledge of what they have available. At RV shows the dealers always advertise big discounts and to some degree, they are real because of the competition with other dealers at the show, but not every advertised price is as great as they try to make it appear. The positive side is that there are all sorts of makes, models, and types of RV on display so that you can compare but they will all be new RVs. 

Another potential benefit of this is having a vehicle to drive once you make camp.  You hadn't mentioned pulling a TOAD behind the RV.  Breaking camp every time you need somehting from the store is a major pain.  If I couldn't tow my jeep I wouldn't have a motorhome I"d have a 5th wheel.

18 hours ago, Zoco said:

The RV Show, is it a good place to buy an RV?

Many dealers will give you the "show discount" for a period of time after the show. That gives you time to think more clearly about the purchase.

Linda Sand

Archived