Updates on the 780 - Welding........

Vegas Teacher

Over the weekend I got my hands dirty working on the 780...........

The front bracket drivers side just behind the lower air vent broke, snapped clean in two and was just hanging on in mid air. So I called TEC / Volvo here in Vegas sent them a picture and gave them my trucks VIN guy comes back part is 250.00 for them to put it on is another 350.00 plus a shop fee of 125.00 I said thanks for the information and went on to Schutzhund practice plus I called flyer in the process there of. Flyer told me to take it to a welding shop. So at practice I ask the guy who welded my receiver onto the back of the semi. He said he could do it for 50.00, I said sold. Sunday I drove across Vegas to Kyle's house he welded it on for me, yes we took off all of the ground cables on the batteries first. I also hopped up in the cab and took out the passenger seat and the left side handle to get up into the cab. We removed the residential refrigerator which was put in, in place of a Volvo refrigerator.  The refrigerator which was put in by Ben, the second owner, was a 2 foot wide, 5 foot tall unit that crashed against the back of the drivers seat on every bump you hit in the road. Ben also went after the shelving unit with a reciprocating saw and it looked like an angry beaver got a hold of it, it looks pretty bad. Now that small refrigerator is in my garage as a dog food refrigerator.

I removed the four bolts on the seat just fine, and removed the air line without a problem. I thought it would be a lot harder. Kyle welded the plate back into place and I strapped the refrigerator down to the back of the truck. As I was going back across town on 95, a trucker in a Peterbilt pulls up along side of me looks over at me scratches and shakes his head, I guess I had to much truck for the job LOL.

Anyway it feels good to get your hands and coat dirty doing the work yourself. I just want to say thanks to all that have encouraged me to work on the truck. I have a welder but it is a cheap Harbor Freight model. Kyle had a good one so I let him do the work on it for me plus he is a lot more skilled at welding, he is also a mechanic and does this stuff on a regular basis.

Later,

Cory O 

Cory    When in doubt put the job in the hands of a professional. Even thought we can probably get it done it's still best to let someone who does technical stuff for a living do the job. I am always calling someone to help me accomplish repairs that I am hesitant to tackle. It's the smart thing to do.  Pat

The Old Sailor

Hey Cory,

I have a question for you. Were you bob-tailing when  the Peterbilt driver saw you ? I think it is funny watching different peoples reactions. He would the first truck driver I very heard that does get it. Every trucker I have met, love the idea.

Keep up the good work,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

12 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hey Cory,

I have a question for you. Were you bob-tailing when  the Peterbilt driver saw you ? I think it is funny watching different peoples reactions. He would the first truck driver I very heard that does get it. Every trucker I have met, love the idea.

Keep up the good work,
Al

Yep I was bob-tailing with nothing on the back except the refrigerator.

It was just the expression on his face, kind of like a whole semi to haul a frige? LOL

Archived