Buying tires online

ARGO

I want to share a really good experience with the group. My fiver is a Newmar, with dual tandem axles. It takes 235/85/16 tires just like on dually pickups. I decided to buy tires online from Discount Tires Direct. The sales person I spoke with was knowledgeable, and I stressed these tires were to be used on an RV. I wanted FRESH tires, because the age is important. Well, when the tires arrived by UPS, I checked the dates. Three of them were 2017, but 5 were from mid year 2016. I contacted them about this, and was pleasantly surprised they would step right up to the plate for me. A pickup order was issued no cost to me, and the rep (Charlie Ellsworth) went above & beyond to get me all late 2017 tires. They are all here and I couldn't be happier. Would I buy again, Youbetcha! 

Note- I have NO connection other than this purchase, but this customer service deserves to be mentioned! 

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

31 minutes ago, Devilishjim said:

But illegal to use on the PU arent they / Dont they say for trailer use only ?

I thought he said he put them on his fiver. "My fiver is a Newmar, with dual tandem axles. It takes 235/85/16 tires just like on dually pickups." 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Everyone's idea of good customer service is different. Getting old tires after I specifically asked for recently manufactured ones would not make me very happy whether they were replaced at no expense or not. If we had to change travel plans or extend a stay to wait for a second batch, that definitely would not make me happy.

We have purchased new tires for both the trailer and pickup at local tire shops in several locations across the country over years of travelling. After adding the cost of mounting, balancing and valve stems to the internet price; the costs from the local vendors were not that much more. I got to see the tires before purchasing and the whole process was usually done in one day(often in just a couple of hours). Even when they did not have the specific tire I wanted, as was the case with Kumho 14" Load Range D tires for the trailer, they were able to get them in a couple of days.

They are ST, trailer tires. Going on my TRAILER. I am not full time, and here in the NE it will be a month before I go anywhere, so time was not a factor. Mount/bal at a local garage that does not SELL tires still came out ahead. When mistakes are made, the follow up is what counts to me.

14 minutes ago, ARGO said:

When mistakes are made, the follow up is what counts to me.

I made a career in customer service and agree with you. Nobody is so perfect that they never make a mistake and the true measure of customer service is what is done to correct a mistake when one happens. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

First in, first out is a very basic tenant of inventory management for products with a limited shelf life. I suspect that those picking the orders for Discount Tires Direct were following the company's standard protocol. Unless there is a procedure for the sales person (who may not even be located at the shipping facility) or the person affixing the shipping labels to check the dates on all the tires, their system likely performed as intended. It is good that they honored the phone salesman's commitment to provide recently manufactured product.

I have no idea how popular the Endurance tires are or how common the ST235/85/16 size is, but given the age of 5 of the 8 tires received they are probably not a fast moving item for Discount Tires Direct. In my experience, the risk of getting older product increases for less popular/commonly sold items and is something to consider when making internet or phone purchases, especially if time is important or limited.

Anybody with an RV (considering the age-out factor) probably shouldn't be driving it if they aren't smart enough to check dates when buying.  I did, and they stepped right up and made it right.  

The mfg date also applys to all of your batteries. Most dealers will slip you the oldest ones in stock. Only if YOU check the dates and demand up to date product will you get them. Once called out they will apologize and get some fresh ones for you. Some mfg'rs complicate their codes to deflect consumers from getting accurate info. As an informed consumer you have to go into a dealer knowing how to decode a time sensitive product so that you get what you pay for.

Archived