Setting dates of the National HDT Rally, how is it done?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I touched on this subject in the rally updates thread but got no response as this topic was NOT the topic being discussed so I thought I would start a dedicated thread to the issue.

I have so far attended four National rally's, the first one in 2014 and every one since.  I live in western Washington about 50 miles northeast of seattle, in order to get to the rally unless I swing WAY south I have to cross at least six mountain passes of at least 4,000 feet and drive across areas that in mid October are sometimes covered in ice and snow.  2014 was a good year for travel, hit rain but no snow, 2015-2016 I drove through snow in Wyoming and Nebraska, 2017 I drove down Boseman Pass in Montana, when it was covered in ICE.  My point being that in all those years the National Rally was held during the SECOND week of October, the 2018 National Rally is being held during the THIRD week of October.  A week even a day can make a heck of a difference when it comes to driving conditions when crossing mountains anytime after the middle of the month of September.

I fully realize that there aren't many who attend the National Rally that have to deal with such conditions but there are some folks who do come from the far northwestern States and Canadian Provinces, who do have to take into consideration either not taking the chance of sever weather and so not attending the rally or driving a considerable distance adding close to a 1,000 miles to an already in my case 1,862 mile journey by going way south to avoid bad weather and road conditions.   With that in mind, is there any input we as rally attendees have that can be offered to those who make the decision as to when the rally will be held?  Was there a particular circumstance that played a part in the 2018 rally being scheduled a week later then those of the recent past?  Is there a possibility that future rally date scheduling can take into account the weather and road conditions that those of us who live in the northwestern-mountainous States and western Canada, have to contend with?  PLEASE do NOT misconstrue my post, I am NOT finding fault with those who set the rally dates, I am asking that weather and roads conditions be taken into account when setting those dates.  Thank you.  And YES, good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise I'll be in Hutchinson Kansas at the next rally.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, I just looked at the calendar for the Hutch Fairgrounds and it looks like the Good Sams Rally ends on the 6th.  The HDT dates were placed right after their rally, but that made it difficult for the early folks to arrive and get setup.  We had to use whatever was available somewhere else in the park.  So I believe the decision was made to use the week after the Sams Rally for the early birds to come and it lets the Dixons and others get the final parts of the Rally set up for all of us.  I think it has only been a few years that has happened.  It does push us back into some potential weather, but I do remember a year that was one week earlier and we were packing up at the end of the Rally and it was really cold!!!

So to sort of answer your question, the week of the HDT Rally now is a week after the Good Sams Rally whenever they book it. (and of course we don't control that).  That allows for all the early arrivals (and we had a ton of them this year) to get setup on a space without having to move when the Rally starts.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I can remember when we started the Rally the week after Good Sam rally and it was a real problem.  Many Good Samers, especially in the front row, do not leave on Sunday

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Howdy Rocky, Mark,

Thanks for your reply.  I was not aware of the conflicting rally dates and now understand why this years rally is later in the month.  I don't suppose there is any way of working with the Good Sam, folks to insure an earlier date for future rallies but if there is I am sure many of us would appreciate it.  AND THANK YOU for the hard work you folks do to keep this rally going and as informative as it is.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,

Would going 84 down to Provo, across to 70 and, at Grand Junction take US 50 right into Hutch help?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

19 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Dave,

Would going 84 down to Provo, across to 70 and, at Grand Junction take US 50 right into Hutch help?

Steve

Howdy Steve,

I travel a lot in the mountainous west, I have hit bad snow and ice going over Snoqualie (sp) Pass in late September or early May and its only 75 miles from my home.  I have hit very bad weather-roads while crossing southern Idaho going into Utah during these same time frames, going down to 70 and then east across Colorado still places you in an area and on roads that can get snow darn near any time of year.  I have been riding-driving the western States for close to 50 years and one thing you can NOT bank on from mid September to mid May is clear roads free of possible snow and ice especially the passes.  That said, thanks for your suggested route, I have traveled that way.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

It would be great if the samers could move their date up a week, and then that would work better!  The fair apparently ends on the 16th.  The calendar doesn't show anything really between then and the samers event.

Howdy Rocky,

Is there any communication between the two groups, has anyone ever approached the Good Sam organizers and asked if they could move their rally up a week?  The worst they could do is say no and a person doesn't know until they are asked. "I" an not a very social person and don't do well in negotiation type situations so I wouldn't be a good person to look into this but if there is some back ground part I could play I would gladly lend a hand.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

10 hours ago, mr. cob said:

"I" an not a very social person and don't do well in negotiation type situations so I wouldn't be a good person to look into this ......

Send in Newt for the negotiations .... he is ruthless! 

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

17 minutes ago, RickW said:

Send in Newt for the negotiations .... he is ruthless! 

Howdy Rick,

Now there is a good idea that little bugger would either melt their hearts and they would grant our request or rip their throats out for refusing :lol:

Wiener Dogs rule the world or at least they think they do.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I do remember one of the things that came up during discussions of the 2018 rally was the ABQ balloon festival. In 2017, it was the same week and some people wanted to attend both. I think this year it falls the week after which made some people happy about that. I'm not sure if that was a deciding factor, but I remember the topic coming up too. 

I really enjoyed the National Rally and look forward to 2018. Dave I hope you are able to attend it again because I certainly want to check out your new truck! 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Howdy Dan,

I must have missed the discussion concerning the rally dates I don’t hear well and often times either simply don’t hear things or have a problem keeping up with the conversation.

Barring unforeseen circumstances I will be attending the 2018 rally but it being a week later in the year will have an affect on the rest of my long trip back home as the weather will most likely be colder as I visit with friends along the way.

looking forward to seeing you again maybe we can secure a corner site so we have room for our toys like last year.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

19 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Dan,

I must have missed the discussion concerning the rally dates I don’t hear well and often times either simply don’t hear things or have a problem keeping up with the conversation.

Barring unforeseen circumstances I will be attending the 2018 rally but it being a week later in the year will have an affect on the rest of my long trip back home as the weather will most likely be colder as I visit with friends along the way.

looking forward to seeing you again maybe we can secure a corner site so we have room for our toys like last year.

Dave

Oh yeah, we'll definitely have to secure a corner area again for our toy haulers! Maybe we can make a toy hauler section. :)

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Archived