Going off the deep end?

Purple Tractor

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are going to take the plunge and become full timers soon. We're going later today & tomorrow to look at a 2008 Volvo 670 with a D13 &13 speed and some RV's as well. My plan is to leave it as a tandem, single the tires, mount an approx. 15 ft. flatbed to haul our 1941 farm tractor that we use to raise money & awareness for cancer. I'm in Oregon and the law says we're restricted to 65 ft.... I'm probably going to be 67 -68 when I'm done, I see others on here well over 65......just a law not enforced? We plan on traveling around the nation......does this plan sound doable? Thanks.

28059299_1833533436658807_2906550914030110103_n.jpg.f147a9cc234fdcc2812d3b66d5777952.jpg2008 Volvo 670,D13, 13 speed,2018 Montana 3210MS

Going to open a can of worms here but since you are raising money even for charity you may be considered commercial requiring a CDL, log books, medical etc. Might want to check with your local officials.  Sounds like a noble venture,  welcome and good luck. 😊

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

57 minutes ago, Purple Tractor said:

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are going to take the plunge and become full timers soon. We're going later today & tomorrow to look at a 2008 Volvo 670 with a D13 &13 speed and some RV's as well. My plan is to leave it as a tandem, single the tires, mount an approx. 15 ft. flatbed to haul our 1941 farm tractor that we use to raise money & awareness for cancer. I'm in Oregon and the law says we're restricted to 65 ft.... I'm probably going to be 67 -68 when I'm done, I see others on here well over 65......just a law not enforced? We plan on traveling around the nation......does this plan sound doable? Thanks.

Welcome P. Tractor,

We are out of Bend & Rainier& Waldport & Last Chance Peak NV.....and our ancient Freightshaker is Oregon Registered as a Motorhome and we hover right at 64'-8" total length with short receiver hitch and 66' -2 " with long hitch..........

I pulled into a wide spot occupied by two CALTran inspectors one mid- morning just south of Needles CA and both inspectors got out of their rigs and wondered over while  I was filling a five gallon bucket full of water to give Dolly-the-paint-horse  a drink in the module in the back of our horse hauler.........as I walking back from the 330 Gallon water tote in the cargo box the younger inspector ask me if I knew my rigs total length I smiled and said.......... "yes"........then I opened the latch to the toyhauler back ramp and Dolly swung her head out over the ramp gate and I handed the "inspector" a big carrot and said give her the carrot please but let go when her teeth get close to your fingers".........You know the "inspector" had the most amazed open-mouth-look on his face  that he plumb forgot to ask me how long my total length was......

.Had to get another carrot for the other inspector and they petted her while she drank a couple gallons of water ........all is well that ends well......

So P. T. ................This Oregon Hillbilly's advice is ...........enjoy the drive and don't fear "johnny-Law" too much.........IF you happen to become "engaged-with-LEO"..........offer them a tractor ride........and if that fails give me a shout I know a couple shister-law-firms that fix "DOT-events"........

As far as the CDL thingy..... IF..........IF........someone is inclined to want to climb your tree when you are working for charity give me a shout because I know a CPA firm that does work for a 6.7 Billion charity and they seem to get by without CDL's ........beating up on Valid charities is not a fun tangle at times......

After a life of have bullet holes appearing in aircraft and other grim folks trying to make me go away, I become somewhat less fearful in my later years........ I try to use common sense (rare-commodity) and let other folks do whatever........

If you want to talk try my cell (520) 891-3695 (sometimes I have cell coverage...... sometimes not out in the outback).

My email is  mmcdan3189@aol.com

Drive on...........(Keep the purple tractor......running)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

On 10/27/2017 at 3:00 PM, rickndeb1125 said:

Personally I would not worry one Iota of length or the CDL. 

I agree about the length issue. There are a few on here that have been cited for length issues but as long as you are aware and willing to pay the ticket then go ahead. 

I'm not even gonna get into the issue of a CDL but rickndeb's advice isn't the best. It may very well get you stuck with an out of service order if you are required to have a CDL. In some states driving on a OOS order isn't a ticketable offense, it is a jailable offense. I would do some research on that if I was you. 

DT, there is a difference in being a charity and "working" for charity, as you put it.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I agree with Phil,

If you are doing anything for the benefit of an organization, for profit/non-profit, charitable or otherwise it IS a commercial endeavor. 

Now IF you were to take your own personal tractor on the back of your personal RV to events where you displayed your tractor.    That would be a personal conveyance.    The tractor should NOT have any organizations affiliation permanently branding it, a gray area would be a banner or magnetic sign on the tractor at events?       Phil?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

I agree about the length issue. There are a few on here that have been cited for length issues but as long as you are aware and willing to pay the ticket then go ahead. 

I'm not even gonna get into the issue of a CDL but rickndeb's advice isn't the best. It may very well get you stuck with an out of service order if you are required to have a CDL. In some states driving on a OOS order isn't a ticketable offense, it is a jailable offense. I would do some research on that if I was you. 

DT, there is a difference in being a charity and "working" for charity, as you put it.

Oh yes Grasshopper.......Oooosoooo......such good questions........as you so wisely muttered, "I would do some research on that if I was you."  

Likely best to have at least two shister DOT -Defense lawyers cobble a STATEMENT  detailing the NON-COMMERCIAL nature of the charity work........MAKE SURE that the law firms are DOT qualified.........

Some charities perform commercial service and there is a rub.........I have to be careful here with my "Legal-O-pin-ions " because next thing that will happen Phil will bring back my checkered past and my rather oddly colored ..."Commercial-Vespa".........(makes a Purple Tractor seem normal).

Now we may not admit it but we all are running a charity and a fat-heavy-machine is the sponge called Mack, KW, Pete, Volvo & Cornbinder..........only a Freightshaker pays the driver to rattle-along........

Most of the "out-of-service-orders" in the Dolly operation are self inflected........

Drive on...........(CDL or ....No CDL......Only the Shisters....may or not know....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

On 10/29/2017 at 5:22 PM, Big5er said:

You know it seems as certain as....."tax relief", that someone starts a thread that evolves into the dreaded......CDL thingy....

So it's obvious that "horsers" and "racers" are habitual offender's of DOT rules but as Phil has said in the past with a ratio of a zillion trucks to each DOT-Cop what's the chance of some non-horse or non-racer is going to be forfiting a ton of Dr Pepper to stay out of the slammer????

I do not recall any forum member being hassled regarding the need for a "real-deal-CDL"....

Has anyone been ordered "out-of-$ervice"???

Who has been to CDL-jail?

IF....the DOT rules are strictly considered more than a few forum members might need a bail bond..... 

After globbing some paint on the Dollytrolley I have no lettering at all on the truck and many thousands of miles no LEO seems to care.... 

Now we do hide Dolly-the-paint-horse in the back of the toyhauler so the DOT-COP$ don't know we are horsers so maybe we are just smugglers.....

Now Phil says that one of the DOT guys in Huston likes to pinch over length RV'$ so it seems that perhaps over length might be a small crime that could lead into a CDL chat as well.....

Ok enough......I gotta go clean my DOT numbers on my Vespa.... 

Drive on......(who has been .....outa-$ervice?)

When MDOT was in my Co. getting us set up to be a DOT carrier a few years back they came and looked everything over and thought we were actually a bit over zealous following the law.  Then I asked what to do with my DOT truck pulling my toyhauler and they said put a blank magnet over it. When I asked about the racer and horser they outright told me that they have far bigger things to worry about . They said that you would have to be really screwing up to warrant the attn needed to get DOT involved.  On the other hand I have talked with a few trucking company operators who say its cheaper to pay the fine now and then than be 100% compliant.  Just like the risk for anything else, use speeding for example.  Every now and then my lawyer has to renew  my subscription to drive 10+ miles an hour ;-)

1999 Freightliner FL 60 Crew Cab SOLD
300 HP Cat, Allison 6 speed
2010 3912 Raptor Toyhauler SOLD
Dirt bikes and Quads

Coming soon 2005 Country Coach DaVinci Inspire Sold

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultralite  8328

Guess I didn’t heed the advice.😜

EnCbuUMl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived