Stuck lens on recessed lights

noteven

I would like to change my recessed lights to LED maybe. The glass lens  threads into the fixture with a small partial turn. On some fixtures the lens comes off with 2 fingers easily. On others they will move back and forth but not thread off, or they won't move at all. 

Anyone have a method to take the stick ones apart?

simple iPhone image is too large to post

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Use a suction cup on a rod to add pulling power.  The tool I am thinking of is called a valve lapping tool. https://www.google.com/search?q=valve+lapping+tools&tbm=isch&source=iu&pf=m&ictx=1&fir=PtWSq9HmulHGyM%3A%2CkVQk2UhBqcBVDM%2C_&usg=__TgKudcAN4TpbYzqsBqQ84WlwBic%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZsqWky5DXAhWj54MKHQh1AtYQ9QEI7wEwBw#imgrc=PtWSq9HmulHGyM:

Otherwise find some shower caddy with a suction cup and modify as desired.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2017 at 12:51 PM, noteven said:

I would like to change my recessed lights to LED maybe. The glass lens  threads into the fixture with a small partial turn. On some fixtures the lens comes off with 2 fingers easily. On others they will move back and forth but not thread off, or they won't move at all. 

Anyone have a method to take the stick ones apart?

simple iPhone image is too large to post

If the fixture is of the mouse trap variety, simply pull it down and use both hands to remove the lens. Be cautious with finger placement & take positive control of the springs before they snap free of the cutout, they can bite.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Archived