Any idea how much AC repairs might run on a Volvo HDT?

oldbutspry

I'm thinking about an HDT for sale and wondering if anyone has any experience with fixing the AC system. Obviously, I would want to fix the leak and not just refill the refrigerant.  Are the repairs generally in line with car repairs or do HDT repairs cost more? I already googled this and apparently the most common place for leaks is the compressor.

I am sure it depends on where it is done but last year we had compressor replaced in York, PA (Volvo shop) cost was $800

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

The AC compressor is an easy on and off on the D12.  The refrigerant is R-134A.  If the system is flat you will also need a dryer.  What makes the job expensive is the $100+ labor at the Volvo shop.  To do everything needed you are looking at $400 for labor.  I had a compressor go bad near Superior, Wisconsin in July 2013 and the cost was $735.  The clutch went out on the replaced compressor in Feb of 2014 so I took it to a Volvo shop in Miami, FL.  No cost to replace - there was a one year warranty.  That made paying the $735 the first time worth while.  The Volvo warranty on repairs is a good deal.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I recently spent 4-500 for Tec Volvo to check for leaks and refill with refrigerant after it stoped blowing cold. It turned out that only being ran a few times over a year is not the best for keeping it charged up. No parts were replaced. This was on the 630 I recently sold. 

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Buddy of mine that does these jobs all the time. Told me to figure $1200. on average. That was if you needed a new compressor, dryer and other stuff. Tim told me a long time ago. You can get a system up and running for less. But it will keep having issues. Most time he will flush the lines, replace the dryer and stuff. And get them back up and working right for way less. He used to do This type of work for one of the Giant trucking company's years ago. And worked for 50 truck fleet up until 18 months ago.

Pete

event.png

The Volvo Sanden brand compressor is about $300 - $350.  The dryer is about $50.  R134A is about $5 a pound if you get a 30# cylinder.  A can of flushing solvent with a hose and valve is another $50.  You have a good $475 invested in parts without any labor or line/valve repairs.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

• 1 month later...

I just had mine compressor and and receiver dryer replaced and it cost me $1300 for freon recovery, replacement, new fittings, new spacers,  valve and labor, when you need AC and this type of work the average person don't have access to do it themselves so I am happy with the work and new AC equipment from a Truck Center in NN Va that did a great job. They said I should be good for another 10-15 years with my RV use.

Grayling & Shirley

2000 Volvo 420, single Axle, 370 ISM, 10 speed

2001 Holiday Rambler Presidential 37' SKT

US Army MSG (Ret) Transportation Corps

(see You Tube Channel Max1Chase1)

Archived