Happy with HappiJac?

TheLongWayHome

We are considering using a HappiJac system in a toy hauler as a flexible option for extra beds (2 bunk queen beds) and 2 couch seating area (converted from a bed) in the garage. Have not found any feedback on the forum but have had a couple of people tell me they loved them or they were a waste of space.  Looking for personal use experiences in a toy hauler "garage".  How useful? How often used? Reliable? Any headroom issues getting SxS into the garage with a HappiJac. etc.

2924-Seismic%20-%20_0004_Seismic4112_Gar

I have one in my 5er. It works great, and we love it.  There is plenty of room to get my 2015 Can-Am Defender Under it. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Had them in my TH.  Exact same setup as in your pic.  The top bunk could be locked in place and it always was locked as high as possible.  Used it for storage.  Bottom bunk was used as couch seating twice in 2 years.  The sucky part is each side of the bottom bunk is not independent.  So when they are in the couch position, there is not much walking space between them.  When the table is installed, it is like a booth in a diner...you have to slide across the seat to get onto the patio and slide to get back out again.  They also were usually in the up position and used for storage.  

It was just me and the wife traveling in the TH and the happijac was never used as a bed.  I did lay on both platforms and they were terribly uncomfortable.

We got a lot more use out of folding lawn chair type seating than the couch.

We don't have one in our TH, but we did sleep in our friend's "back bedroom" at Sturgis the other year.  As noted above, the mattress (foam pad) is VERY uncomfortable for adults.  At a minimum you need to look at a better mattress if you intend for adults to sleep in it.  Not sure how much clearance you may lose depending on if a thicker matress hits the roof in the up position.  I used the bench and table for a mobile office for the week, it worked, but a little claustrophobic.  However, all that is far better than the air mattress on the floor that guests get in ours.  They also haul a side by side back there (not sure which one), overhead clearance was not an issue, but they did have to remove the folding glass patio doors for length.

I will also admit the "mattress" on the bunk is terrible.  It's at best described as a 3-4" thick foam pad.  It's better than sleeping on the floor, but not by much.  It's on par with the folding upper bunk in our Volvo 730.

When we picked up this 5er, the dealer put the ladders for the HappyJack and the loft bunk on top of the rear bed. By the time we got home the ladder had bounced off the bed, scratching the cabinets and wrecking the rear screen door.  We will not store items on top of the mattress. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

IMO the tie-breaker is totally yours.  You REALLY have to decide how you will use the space once the toys are out.  Are you going to have guests staying over a lot or just once in a blue moon?  If once in a blue moon, go with the air mattress.  After all, you are camping.  How will you use the couch/dinette?  If there is a tv in the garage, you'll have to view it at an angle to see it from the couch.  Another minor PITA is removing/replacing the dinette table when you want it out of the way.  

You and your wife should take 15 minutes, apart from each other, and REALLY consider how you would use the space.  Then come together, compare notes, and decide.  Then don't second guess yourselves.

Archived