Brake Controllers again - I'm learning this prodigy may not be the best setup

BlueLghtning

Blue,

Be sure and give mom & dad a big hug.?  Our youngest daughter, son in law, who is active duty military, and their three children are living with us while they are waiting to close on a house in mid August.  The oldest is a 14 y.o grandson who "needs his privacy".  Little disruptive to our old daily retired routine but small price to pay.  I see an extended camping trip in our near future.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Yeah, Mom & Dad are great. I've never lived more than 30 mins away from them so this is definitely new for all of us as my wife and I hit the road. They are certainly glad to have us here for a little while and enjoying our company. My dad rides motorcylces with me and I would see him and my mom weekly at our bike nights. My brother has the grandkids so that keeps mom close by and busy baby sitting them or I think they might be on the road themselves. 

My wife has a little more Gypsy in her and although her parents are in GA & TN, she seems to be okay going longer times between seeing them. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

We have the P2 in our Freightliner and the numbers read out when I hit the brakes. I cannot feel the trailer braking even on the highest setting but we have issues with our trailer brakes (usually only 3 of 6 working) which would be better discussing in a separate topic.

I like the P3 better which we had in our dually but the P2 came with the HDT, so we didn't think to swap it out before we sold the dually.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

So I finally got rid of the phantom left turn signal activating the brakes by ditching the techonsha and installing the Hayes. Just drove 1800 miles and love it. I also installed jackalopee and all new wiring. Hayes was simple to install. If I would have had time, probably would have done direct link or blue dot, but got the Hayes on amazon next day. 

Now for AC fix....106 in Rapid City when we pulled in yesterday. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Woohoo, I think we have progress. I brought the truck over to Mom & Dad's tonight and my Dad & I went to town tracing down all the wires and checking all the connections. We checked everything from the brake controller connection all the way through the firewall and followed everything all the way back. The brake light wire which is red was the main culprit and didn't seem to be making a good connection where it's wired under the cab near the batteries into another connector. It's hooked up with one of those crimp style connectors where it just uses a metal bar inside the plastic housing to make the connection. I didn't have what I needed to do it better at this point, but I was able to adjust it and make sure it's making contact. After we adjusted that and made sure we had 12 volts coming out of there then we verified we are getting voltage off the blue wire at the rear of the plug with the pedal. I also went back to the trailer and hooked up to it to verify now that I have numbers on the brake controller when I press the service brake in the truck. That wasn't happening before. I have to take the trailer out Tuesday for new tires so I'll test it then. 

7 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

ScotchLok: Absolute rubbish.BlobServlet?lmd=1332489551000&assetId=13

Yep it's one of those and I despise those. 

I might see if I can find a Posi-tap in the right wire or come up with just a better connector all the way around. 

My dad liked those.  I still find under a piece of equipment occasionally. "Rubbish" is far too kind to describe them.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived