Dead 1/2 on and 1/2 off of the highway

Vegas Teacher

WOW Cory! Sorry to hear you had so many issues on your first big trip. 
After reading all of this, I have to say that your #1 thing working against you will be your temper. You will struggle to focus and process what ever issues you have. Stop, take a breath and be happy no one is hurt.

Air leaks are never ending.. ever. I had several that I ignored for the first year of owning the truck.. Never has it left me stranded, but after finding small issues due to air leaks.. I started hunting them down one at a time. I have several feet of various air lines in my truck at all times. As well as fittings and o-rings. I've found that replacing the o-rings in fittings can be a pain, but also cheaper than some fittings. There is a store called Traction located at Craig and I15. A great place for all sorts of parts and a bit cheaper than Volvo/TEC.

Maybe after school gets out, I should have you stop by and we can hunt down some of the leaks and get them taken care of..

Traction

4510 Mitchell St, North Las Vegas, NV 89081
(702) 643-7278

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ATV -I will take you up on that! Would love to get together at the lodge or anywhere else and yes would love to hunt down those leaks as well as do some reprogramming of the truck computer,If I remember right you have the software for that.

We do not have any more full weeks of school left anymore except this one and it is almost half over now. Next year will be be even closer to being done and final exams first semester will be before we go on winter break!!!!! 

Anything you can show me on the truck is welcome. I love the truck,I just want to badly get over the ignorance part as far as the mechanical fix it stuff goes.

Later,

Cory O

2 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Dolly I understand what you are saying but it is not the mechanics of understanding how to drive the truck, I am not scared of the driving part, Flyer gave me a great education on the way back from Floriday and I am very comfortable behind the wheel, but what scares me is being half way between here and Caldwell Idaho and the truck falling to pieces even if I take it into volvo and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb. I grew up in Farm country driving large machinery, not driving skills that have me worried it is mechanical know how. Flyer can tell you I had to navigate road construction, mountains in west Texas, Tunnels and bridges along with city traffic, gas pumps and a very narrow and small parking lot in a mom and pop burger joint in San Antonio Texas along with make a left turn on a busy street with out the aide of a stop light.

I know I have a lot to learn but I am willing to learn, Maybe if you are at the west coast rally you can give me some pointers. It sounds like I could learn a lot from you and would be in your debt, then maybe 25 years from now I can pass on those same pointers to somebody who is like me. I started in Schutzhund about 4 or 5 years ago with a German Shepherd who was not cut out for the sport and I was scared of Dogs. I am now a decoy who gets bitten every Saturday and Monday and our household went from one German Shepherd to soon to be four. I did this by jumping in head first and giving it everything I had. Flyer was also the first person to train me with dog handling skills.

My point is I am a stubborn Italian and I never give up. My temper at times gets the best of me but I learn pretty quickly. As I learn the systems of the truck I will be more confident. I feel the same way about my Toyota Tundra and pulling my current bumper tow but I do it anyway, I learn as I go.

Once again I would love to learn from you and get your advice, I hope to talk with you at some rally some day.

Later,

Cory O

Well Cory being Italian is a .....cursed-blessing for sure and the Dollymoma and I love kicking around Italy and have some wild crazy friends there that know how to live life to the fullest.......

I am not sure a highly educated man such as yourself could learn much from some geezer like me and as you can see from my post above I have made some fairly bad judgement even when I should have known better.

At this point I was just saying that sometime you might consider that voice inside your head that says.......”hey Cory this darn thing can get scary and maybe I don't wand to play a scary game.”

All I am saying, if things don't feel right ......pay attention to your feelings.

Now maybe I can't teach you much but perhaps I might share a few thoughts that might give you something to ponder about heavy trucks and Heavy Truck RV use.....

For the most part class 7 - 8  trucks are operated by CDL operators and some of the CDL lessons and requirements center around operating the machinery and the rest is mostly centered around a ton of government regulations.

Vegas Flyer likely is giving you great advice in that he rode with you and feels that you could need some formal training and Flyer has had his share of training so he speaks from experience.

Boy oh boy you have had a lot of love on this thread from a lotta folks that feel your pain and want to help the best they can.

I have scratched my head and read your description of your recent adventures and when I focus out a couple things strike me about your recent truck adventure(s) …….

If you focus out you might want to consider what makes your Volvo a MUCH different vehicle that the rest of the vehicles you have operated…..yes it's heavy and it's big but that is the most obvious but what really is different is hidden just under the skin of your truck…… You see Cory size matters….sorta…..but really matters is what happens before bad things happen and then the real interesting thing is what happens when bad things really start to happen……..here is what I am try to tell you…..

Unlike the rest of your vehicles your heavy truck reacts to system glitches with different actions such as the brakes shotgunning when you lose air…… your pickup is easy when it fails you just get the folks stuck behind you to get out and push your pickup into the tavern parking lot and then go buy everyone a round of drinks…….when your Volvo loses air it …..MIGHT …..stop right now sorta…..and then as you found out it's a tussel to move the damn thing until you get your air back.

Now a couple folks have advised that you might need some cage bolts so that you can move the truck without air…...ouch….Cory you might take a moment to consider what cage bolts do…….the are simple devices that convert a heavy truck that has it's brakes LOCKED ON …..into….a truck that has NO brakes at all…...be careful what you wish for…

Big 5er can be a bit grumpy at times, and so can I, and some time ago we got a bit grumpy at the same time and I was not very nice so we did not get along but…...he brings up some good points much of the time and one of his points is that the RV HDT operations with little or NO training is a animal that will likely become extinct some day when the regulators decide to make all RV Trucks over 26K be operated under Commercial Regs and CDL operators…...maybe he is right or maybe he is wrong but the fact remains it is a odd duck that in many states a class C license is all you need to play heavy trucker…..(and $$$$).

In aircraft once you get past 12,500 you not only need a pilot license but you also need a type-rating for the make and model ( a few rare folks have a odd license that says “all types & ratings approved”)

Vessel masters licences start typically at 100 ton up to 1600 ton and then unlimited …...so size does matter.

So you see Cory having a heavy truck with a operational problem can cause far more stress because as you found out when the darn thing locks up in a spot it can be hard to deal with.

Now what I am going to say will likely hurt some feelings and get me flamed but what the heck…… so…...often the more automated a truck is, the more of a pain-in-the-a$$ it is when it experiances a malfunction (or a failed sensor / monitor system malfunction) ………

I could buy a new truck but I don't want any more computer assist than I have right now and while a new truck has many nice wizbang features many of those features come at the price of questionable automation restricted shut downs or limp-mode. Now some folks here will howl that the highly automated truck is only safeguarding the truck when it shuts it's self down…...well that's peachy if you desire to have a partner in a few black boxes….as for me I will just take my chance with the limited automation that I have now and just pay attention to the truck full time.

Regarding your trucks air system perhaps a Grumps method of air system operation might help you better get a handle on not being shotgunned in the middle of the road too much….. Here how it works, as you drive, scan your gages often and make a mental note EACH time you scan each of your air guages, now here is the trick, most air govenors cut in as the air pressure falls to around to 100 psi and then cuts off at about 130 psi….so now pay attention, the range of 30 psi and the cycle times that it takes to bleed down to recharge and the time it takes to recharge AND how often the air recharges occure tell you a lot IF you establish a trend and you pay ATTENTION. Once you become in tune with the air system trends you will have a good pre-warning of loss of air system problems well before you see the warning light or hear the warning buzzer. Trending the other gages will also give you a real feel for the health of your truck.

See grumps lived by the air gages it was one of the most important things in his life because in those days he had no Jake brakes the air brake was all the brakes. Some folks think the spring brake is a safety feature and it is…….sorta…...sometimes ….but on a steep twisty road having a spring brake shotgun will likely be a wild ride off the road and no good times in the old truck.

Lot of folks have come to depend on automation to keep track of the systems on the truck, I have found it is better to recall the remarks from Grumps…..”you pay attention and drive the darn truck Enstine, I'll look at the girls for you”……

Drive on…….(lots to ponder…...)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

5 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Well Cory being Italian is a .....cursed-blessing for sure and the Dollymoma and I love kicking around Italy and have some wild crazy friends there that know how to live life to the fullest.......

I am not sure a highly educated man such as yourself could learn much from some geezer like me and as you can see from my post above I have made some fairly bad judgement even when I should have known better.

At this point I was just saying that sometime you might consider that voice inside your head that says.......”hey Cory this darn thing can get scary and maybe I don't wand to play a scary game.”

All I am saying, if things don't feel right ......pay attention to your feelings.

Now maybe I can't teach you much but perhaps I might share a few thoughts that might give you something to ponder about heavy trucks and Heavy Truck RV use.....

For the most part class 7 - 8  trucks are operated by CDL operators and some of the CDL lessons and requirements center around operating the machinery and the rest is mostly centered around a ton of government regulations.

Vegas Flyer likely is giving you great advice in that he rode with you and feels that you could need some formal training and Flyer has had his share of training so he speaks from experience.

Boy oh boy you have had a lot of love on this thread from a lotta folks that feel your pain and want to help the best they can.

I have scratched my head and read your description of your recent adventures and when I focus out a couple things strike me about your recent truck adventure(s) …….

If you focus out you might want to consider what makes your Volvo a MUCH different vehicle that the rest of the vehicles you have operated…..yes it's heavy and it's big but that is the most obvious but what really is different is hidden just under the skin of your truck…… You see Cory size matters….sorta…..but really matters is what happens before bad things happen and then the real interesting thing is what happens when bad things really start to happen……..here is what I am try to tell you…..

Unlike the rest of your vehicles your heavy truck reacts to system glitches with different actions such as the brakes shotgunning when you lose air…… your pickup is easy when it fails you just get the folks stuck behind you to get out and push your pickup into the tavern parking lot and then go buy everyone a round of drinks…….when your Volvo loses air it …..MIGHT …..stop right now sorta…..and then as you found out it's a tussel to move the damn thing until you get your air back.

Now a couple folks have advised that you might need some cage bolts so that you can move the truck without air…...ouch….Cory you might take a moment to consider what cage bolts do…….the are simple devices that convert a heavy truck that has it's brakes LOCKED ON …..into….a truck that has NO brakes at all…...be careful what you wish for…

Big 5er can be a bit grumpy at times, and so can I, and some time ago we got a bit grumpy at the same time and I was not very nice so we did not get along but…...he brings up some good points much of the time and one of his points is that the RV HDT operations with little or NO training is a animal that will likely become extinct some day when the regulators decide to make all RV Trucks over 26K be operated under Commercial Regs and CDL operators…...maybe he is right or maybe he is wrong but the fact remains it is a odd duck that in many states a class C license is all you need to play heavy trucker…..(and $$$$).

In aircraft once you get past 12,500 you not only need a pilot license but you also need a type-rating for the make and model ( a few rare folks have a odd license that says “all types & ratings approved”)

Vessel masters licences start typically at 100 ton up to 1600 ton and then unlimited …...so size does matter.

So you see Cory having a heavy truck with a operational problem can cause far more stress because as you found out when the darn thing locks up in a spot it can be hard to deal with.

Now what I am going to say will likely hurt some feelings and get me flamed but what the heck…… so…...often the more automated a truck is, the more of a pain-in-the-a$$ it is when it experiances a malfunction (or a failed sensor / monitor system malfunction) ………

I could buy a new truck but I don't want any more computer assist than I have right now and while a new truck has many nice wizbang features many of those features come at the price of questionable automation restricted shut downs or limp-mode. Now some folks here will howl that the highly automated truck is only safeguarding the truck when it shuts it's self down…...well that's peachy if you desire to have a partner in a few black boxes….as for me I will just take my chance with the limited automation that I have now and just pay attention to the truck full time.

Regarding your trucks air system perhaps a Grumps method of air system operation might help you better get a handle on not being shotgunned in the middle of the road too much….. Here how it works, as you drive, scan your gages often and make a mental note EACH time you scan each of your air guages, now here is the trick, most air govenors cut in as the air pressure falls to around to 100 psi and then cuts off at about 130 psi….so now pay attention, the range of 30 psi and the cycle times that it takes to bleed down to recharge and the time it takes to recharge AND how often the air recharges occure tell you a lot IF you establish a trend and you pay ATTENTION. Once you become in tune with the air system trends you will have a good pre-warning of loss of air system problems well before you see the warning light or hear the warning buzzer. Trending the other gages will also give you a real feel for the health of your truck.

See grumps lived by the air gages it was one of the most important things in his life because in those days he had no Jake brakes the air brake was all the brakes. Some folks think the spring brake is a safety feature and it is…….sorta…...sometimes ….but on a steep twisty road having a spring brake shotgun will likely be a wild ride off the road and no good times in the old truck.

Lot of folks have come to depend on automation to keep track of the systems on the truck, I have found it is better to recall the remarks from Grumps…..”you pay attention and drive the darn truck Enstine, I'll look at the girls for you”……

Drive on…….(lots to ponder…...)

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your advice and it means so much to me. Thanks for everything and I do understand what you were trying to tell me in you the first story of the airplane and this story solidified you do care about me and my truck. I can see you want me to have confidence. I think what we really are missing in just the written word is voice to and facial expression, like the three ways to say "Yes Dear" for your marriage. (it was a story my uncle told me when I got married.) I am sure you know it. I have so much to learn. I am looking at CSN for diesel mechanics courses now. I am only going to learn it by doing it. I really want to get tips and pointers from the guys like you who have done it so some day I can pass on the same knowledge to the young guys getting into it. Some of my best friends have 25 - 30 years on me. I was an "ELK" for a long time and it is an organization full of the "baby boomers and the Greatest Generation" So I get along extremely well with those older than me I look up to you guys and respect you .

Something else you are correct about is there are a lot of people who have felt my pain and shared some stories, as they say misery loves company and it just feels good to know I am not alone. Yes I do need to listen to that little voice in my head a lot more.

Anyway thanks for your advice, I do not care how old you are and I would rather learn from you guys that have the experience. My blood runs pretty hot but I am thick skinned. I have the "Daygo" temper, but I can see reason and logic too. It is a pretty tough battle inside of me. My wife has come to understand me over the years. She is English, Dutch and German in heritage. She figured out long ago if she lets me blow up and then calm down it will all work out in the end. LOL;):P:D

Later,

Cory O

12 hours ago, atv_idiot said:

WOW Cory! Sorry to hear you had so many issues on your first big trip. 
After reading all of this, I have to say that your #1 thing working against you will be your temper. You will struggle to focus and process what ever issues you have. Stop, take a breath and be happy no one is hurt.

Air leaks are never ending.. ever. I had several that I ignored for the first year of owning the truck.. Never has it left me stranded, but after finding small issues due to air leaks.. I started hunting them down one at a time. I have several feet of various air lines in my truck at all times. As well as fittings and o-rings. I've found that replacing the o-rings in fittings can be a pain, but also cheaper than some fittings. There is a store called Traction located at Craig and I15. A great place for all sorts of parts and a bit cheaper than Volvo/TEC.

Maybe after school gets out, I should have you stop by and we can hunt down some of the leaks and get them taken care of..

Traction

4510 Mitchell St, North Las Vegas, NV 89081
(702) 643-7278

I am going to look at this store tonight.

That Infocon Whisper is worth every penny. It took me ten minutes to find all of the leaks in our air system. One fitting needed to be tightened, one needed to be replaced and we replaced 4 ft of air line. It is quiet now and takes a long time to "leak down" after we shut it off. Worth every penny in peace of mind too. This tool will always travel with us.

Archived