Removing Inside Rear End Tires / wheels

Recently I saw a truck on this forum that had the inside tires removed from the rear axles.  I can name a few of the pro's and not very many con's, anyone care to add comments please do so, I learning as much as possible everyday from you folks.  Was this the right place to post this, hope so, how many do this?

Pro's: 

1. Less weight
  2. Fewer tires to wear out
  3. Less wear and tear on brakes
  4. More traction in mud and snow (I will go off road)
  5. Chain up faster
  6. Fuel milage
  7. spare tires

Con's

1. Reduction in weight carrying capacity (I need to do the math but pretty sure will be ok, equal to being signal)
  2. Legal, I think so if not commercial?
  3. Driveability -- do not know, need help here

My truck Volvo, long w.b. had a 22' deck on the back, tandems are Canadian spreed.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

This topic has been discussed several times in the HDT forum.  The pictures you are referring to were of a member's truck that was dealing with a temporary issue related to singling the truck.  I do not think he intends to run the truck that way permanently.  WorknRVr (SP?) on the forum runs his truck this way and has done so with no ill effects for some time.  It is not legal in every state, but I do not have a listing of which states it would be legal in and which it would not be legal.  I believe Big5er has said it is illegal in Texas, but I could be wrong on that.  The biggest concern that comes up each time this is discussed is that the wheel bearings could be improperly loaded and cause issues.  This would really depend on the weights you are running though.  I'm sure others will chime in with more.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

20 minutes ago, Jimalberta said:

How do you figure less wear and tear on brakes?

Less traction=less brake wear. :P

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Same mass to slow down and stop. Same wear and tear on brakes.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived