Sky light, Moon Roof, what do you call the 770 roof window?

lappir

Volvo roof window  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it or not?

• Yes, love it
    • No, don't use it
    • I don't care.
    • Would cover it.
    • Volvo has a non glass replacement.
    • Would make it an escape hatch.
    • Rod, Stop doing polls.

Hello all,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Another Poll for your pleasure, if you will.

The rubber around the outside of my roof window is coming out of the area it's supposed to be. I have Trimmed off a couple pieces, but more just keeps coming.

I do not Like the window and have it blocked from the inside at all times. (Ok, I take that back, when I was pulling my truck in my brothers shop last summer I looked to see how close I was to the door frame to get in as far as possible. It didn't really help, I still had to get out and look)

I know one other person has had a similar issue and am unsure if it has been resolved.

If it opened I might use it on occasion, but then there is a greater leak potential. As far as I can tell it has yet to leak. If it did or does the water doesn't come inside that I can tell.

Have thought about just having "Vehicle Wrap Vinyl" applied over the upper portion of the sleeper to cover a couple other issues up there that I don't like. Some type of filler would be required so there were no voids I assume.

Thoughts comments and suggestions appreciated. Vote's too.

Rod

ps there was an option to add another question but a pop up said RVNetwork allows only one question. Additional choices added that reflected the additional questions.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Thank you to the 10 members so far who have cast their votes.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

A lot of high rise sleeper trucks have the same window, whatever, as does my Argosy and most Century Class Freightliners. It is a delete option on Freightliners, the cheap freight trucks have the outline, but the factory doesn't cut it out to put in the window.

Mine is now 17 years old, it is glued in just like the windshield, It doesn't leak, but it is cracked, courtesy of a low hanging branch hit at speed.

As soon as I detect a leak it is coming out and a section of roof from a wreck is going to be bonded in its place. Given the problems i have had with windshields leaking, this one is sure to leak if it is disturbed and replaced.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

My Century is one of the cheap ones Jeff referred to...so I have no leaks.

I do need new windshields and I dread the potential for leaks after the replacement....

DC-3 had the worst windshield leaks ever they leaked for a month after a shower it seemed...

Drive on....(what window?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

You guys must have terrible glass installers where you are. Other than being a pain in the @$$ to get to, they are not tough to do. I've done several of these overhead windows and never had one leak.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

in 17 years and 1.7 million miles I have had at least 12 windshields replaced. I have had them done by dealers(the worst) and 2 different windshield shops, both single owners who install all the glass at their shops, both of which have 20-30 years experience in the industry. About 4 of them leaked enough to have to be replaced within a month.

Both experienced installers showed me how poorly the windshield area of the Argosy is designed. Indeed, originally the Argosy had a 1 piece windshield on the 1st dozen or so cabs produced. All cracked, all recalled and a hastily engineered center post installed. This is not an area of a truck that can be revised once tooling all around it is fabricated. The current Cascadia ditched the bonded in windows and have gone back to a rubber gasket with a locking ring. Most truck manufacturers have done the same.

Now the upper "sunroof" glass is of course a different story, slightly. Bonded in windshields and fixed sunroof windows are great for the manufacturer in perfect conditions on a clean controlled surface and environment during assembly. And they rarely leak from new. And mine doesn't. But any bonded in window is a crap shoot when installed in the field. The sunroof light goes through a lot more direct UV and heat than the front windshield and deteriorates accordingly. And of course it's position invites leakage. Do a little survey on older high rise trucks you see with the upper window and notice how many of them have all manner of excess sealant trying to stop the inevitable.

2008 Work and Play 34FK

I own an autoglass company, we have field installed over 3000 urethane "bonded" pieces of glass (windshields, back glass, side glass, and even skylights) in this past year alone, near 1000 myself personally. I could count the leaks on one hand. It's hardly a crap shoot if done correctly, by a skilled technician, with proper materials and preparation.

Excess sealant extruding out or patched around the edge is a sure sign of a hack and slash job. The ONLY way to fix a leaking glass is to remove it and replace/reinstall it properly.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I own an autoglass company, we have field installed over 3000 urethane "bonded" pieces of glass (windshields, back glass, side glass, and even skylights) in this past year alone, near 1000 myself personally. I could count the leaks on one hand. It's hardly a crap shoot if done correctly, by a skilled technician, with proper materials and preparation.

Excess sealant extruding out or patched around the edge is a sure sign of a hack and slash job. The ONLY way to fix a leaking glass is to remove it and replace/reinstall it properly.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

And you are located in Tennessee correct? Oops, just looked at your profile, Wisconsin. Darn it!

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The window in the roof is so the team driver in the upper berth gets to see the low overpass first. This then triggers the on-board high intensity audio alert system in the upper berth.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Well Av8r3400. I know exactly where I am going for my next windshield service. I will be at your shop at the very next opportunity. Am always looking for competent vendors.

2008 Work and Play 34FK

Archived